Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 07-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
rocketsurgeon66

"For the protection of the account holder, this purchase has been declined."

I'd like to find out if other people have had my experience with suddenly having your purchases declined?

During the summer sale, suddenly, and out of the blue, I got the following message when I tried to make a purchase:

Quote:
For the protection of the account holder, this purchase has been declined. Further purchasing will be temporarily limited - please contact Steam Support to resolve this issue.
I of course tried purchases both via the web browser and the client, and then even tried a freshly installed client on a freshly installed system, and also the browser on a couple machines. No dice. I checked with my CC issuer, no problems there, and I tried using one of my other cards, same thing, so clearly an issue on the Steam-side. Oh, and no emails from Valve either.

So I contacted support, and of course got the standard useless answer that clearly indicated that nothing I had written in my report (or followups I made before getting the answer) had been read, asking me if I'd used the browser or client, and telling me to reinstall the client.

I'm unclear about if they also did something with my account, since there was no mention of the cause of my problems, nor that they had taken any action to resolve the issues, but by the time I read the message, purchases were no longer being declined.

This was a week ago, and now today, I find myself in the exact same situation - purchases suddenly declined without explanation.

So either whatever caused the issue before wasn't resolved, or there is some recurring issue with Steam causing this. I seem to have no problems using my card elsewhere, nor any messages from my bank, so I have to assume that the issue is with Steam.

Has anyone else had these kinds of issues? Were they resolved?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
duvelthehobbit

What is your age and what country are you in? And what were the games you tried to buy? This would help a lot in seeing what is wrong. Maybe you are too young to buy the games or steam does not sell them due to a regional ban.
duvelthehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
rocketsurgeon66

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvelthehobbit View Post
What is your age and what country are you in? And what were the games you tried to buy? This would help a lot in seeing what is wrong. Maybe you are too young to buy the games or steam does not sell them due to a regional ban.
I'm... old enough. I have had no problems buying games before, I have 800+ games on my account. When I previously had problems, I even tried my other credit card (different bank, different issuer), to rule out any issues on my side, and I was still blocked.

The game I tried buying was the daily deal Pat & Mat, which as far as I know does not have any regional restrictions (it's essentially a kid's game), and certainly no such restrictions in my western European country (EU tier 1). The last time it happened, it was with completely different games.

So, neither age nor location should be a factor here. Nor any issues with the credit card, the one I have associated with my Steam account is in good standing, and I have made other purchases with it today, no problems.
rocketsurgeon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
duvelthehobbit

Then I don't know what is wrong. Hope it all works out for you and wish you the best of luck.
duvelthehobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
T@F

only support can help you.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Captain Morti

Probably someoneelse tried to purchase something with your Kreditcard or with your paypal/whatever and thats why the you cant purchase something. Try contacting the steamsupport via supportticket.
Captain Morti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #7
EVILSinstinct

The same is happening to me. The messege you got is the same I got. I also have tried using numerous credit cards and I also tried gifting to myself but it still dosn't work.

Yes this is a Steam problem.
EVILSinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Justin_PC*Gamer

Would you mind be a bit more specific about the reply from Steam Support?
Justin_PC*Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
EVILSinstinct

I myself haven't heard from steam support yet(yes I've already sent a ticket in).All im saying is im getting the same messege which is "For the protection of the account holder, this purchase has been declined. Further purchasing will be temporarily limited - please contact Steam Support to resolve this issue." The funny thing is I am the god damn account holder. So as of right now I have missed on the Left 4 Dead Bundle and The X Superbox because of this B.S.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
EVILSinstinct

So today steam has replied saying:

Hello,

A staff member has replied to your question:

Hello Scott,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We are happy that you are enjoying our games and all that Steam has to offer! However, for the protection of the cardholder we do want to double check that you've authorized the recent purchases on your account.

Please verify the following information, as soon as we receive confirmation of the charges from you, we will make a note for future reference and unlock your account.

- The Steam account name:

- Complete cardholder billing information (name and billing address):

- Last 4 digits of credit card number (only the last 4 please):

- The type of card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express):

- Valid daytime phone number including country code (if applicable) or area code:

Thank you for your understanding.

I will give an update when steam replies or when I'm able to purchase.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #11
Gold Ghost

I also got a reply from Steam with the same message "Please verify the following information"
Was a bit hesitant to send them that info but will now I know you got the same thing
Gold Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:49 AM   #12
rocketsurgeon66

I got one of those as well, and sent it in, then... silence.

Haven't tried to make any purchases since the lock, the stuff I wanted to buy is no longer on sale, and any previous attempt I've made to get any form of consideration when things have gone wrong on the Steam side has been the usual

Quote:
Our billing system is automated and there is unfortunately no way to...
I'm usually put off when companies and agencies blame their computers for not being able to give reasonable customer service, but when a company whose business is developing software do it, I'm not too... impressed.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Glamyr

I've had this problem twice during the summer sale, and it fixed itself in a couple hours like yours.

Yesterday I put in my 3rd support ticket for this same issue. I haven't heard anything nor have I tried to buy anything.

I really wish I knew what triggered this.
Glamyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
rocketsurgeon66

For what it's worth, I now have a message saying:

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for this confirmation. We have made a note on your account for future reference. You should be able to complete your purchase. Your purchases will not be flagged in the future.

Thank you for your patience.

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.
Hopefully this time, it will "stick".
Old 10-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #15
DaFaq

I got the same error,Anyone can help me?
PSI overused my credit card...
DaFaq is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips