Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 07-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
Bish0p

Voice only through headset.. Anyday now Valve..

Have we waited and been patient long enough yet? I mean it's only been like 5 years people have been asking for this, if not more..
Really I'm tired of asking. I'm just going to start buying my games from other digital distributors. Valve is not the only one you know.

Tell you one thing, the first group to get this right will be getting my money from now on. People have been "patient" way too long. Been asking way to long. If Valve gives a crap about it's consumer base they will fix this.
Have we asked enough yet? Made enough topics yet?

Idc if any of you like having voice come through your surround sound. I don't and a lot of people don't.. This isn't for the people who don't care. This is for the people who do.. I will not respond to this topic at all because it's troll bait from a million miles away.

Valve, read it, do it.. for the love of God already.. Do it..

Don't know what I'm talking about?
Play left for dead/lfd2 and see how great it is to have some moron 10 year old, screaming through your surround sound, while you wife is sleeping for work at 5 am, to do nursing on a 12 hour shift. Then she wakes up all jarateed off because of it.

Have some freaking courtesy for our lives Valve, fix it please..
Old 07-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
masterchef341

I know exactly what you're talking about, and yes, I've been waiting for this feature for the better part of a decade, and it should be extremely simple.

Sad, really.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
DarthPsymon

An option to sent voice to a different audio output would be nice.
Can a game distinguish two different audio outputs simultaneously?
DarthPsymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
caiosm1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthPsymon View Post
Of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish0p View Post
Play left for dead/lfd2 and see how great it is to have some moron 10 year old, screaming through your surround sound, while you wife is sleeping for work at 5 am, to do nursing on a 12 hour shift. Then she wakes up all jarateed off because of it.
Terrific example. It's wrong in so many ways... Why is a little kid playing a mature game to begin with? And at 5am? That sucks...
caiosm1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Scorcher24

I play with friends only and we just rented a TS Server so we don't have to deal with the steam voice feature.
But +1 for the suggestion.
Scorcher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
mAd-

You can't just turn off your speakers? I also support more options to control steam's voice but seriously you have bad system if you can't simply turn off your speakers.
mAd- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
fussel

You are barking up the wrong tree, there.
It's the developers, not the service providers responsibility to provide this feature.

You don't scream at your electricity contract because your phone doesnt work, right?
fussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Amy

I can easly fix this in windows 7 sound config.
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
masterchef341

Quote:
Originally Posted by fussel View Post
You are barking up the wrong tree, there.
It's the developers, not the service providers responsibility to provide this feature.

You don't scream at your electricity contract because your phone doesnt work, right?
Valve is the developer of steam, and the source engine, and steamworks. We're asking for a feature that relates to steam chat, which is a technology that exists both in steam and in source games (and possibly others). How exactly is this the "wrong tree?"
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
Teh_Guy

Quote:
Why is a little kid playing a mature game to begin with?
Well, you can either try to deal with the kid, or just give him something that makes him go away and leave you alone for a few hours

a feature like this would be nice, but I'd like it to be purely optional cause my laptop speakers are crap :I
Teh_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
fussel

Quote:
We're asking for a feature that relates to steam chat, which is a technology that exists both in steam and in source games (and possibly others). How exactly is this the "wrong tree?"
because chat and voice transmission is handled by the game and the game's servers, not by steam itself.
On top of it, I don't know any program that could handle two output channels.
Sure, it could be written, but how many people are gonna use that feature?
Most players are using headphones anyway. Especially at five in the morning.
fussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
DarthPsymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiosm1005 View Post
Can a game distinguish two different audio outputs simultaneously? Of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fussel View Post
I don't know any program that could handle two output channels.
Not sure who is correct.
DarthPsymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:03 AM   #13
Ballistica24

Quote:
I don't know any program that could handle two output channels
Not to go there but origin can set voice to come through only headset and game sounds to come through speakers. Steam does not offer this function.

Quote:
Can a game distinguish two different audio outputs simultaneously? Of course.
Its not the game we want, I want to be able to chat in steam chat, playing no game and have the other persons voice coming though the headset, and all other PC sounds, like music, come through the speakers. And yes, it is easily possible.
Ballistica24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:26 AM   #14
Chirimorin

I personally always use a 3rd party program for voice chat if possible (aka when I play with friends)
Skype, Ventrilo, TeamSpeak... All of them have options to change the audio output to headset while other programs happily send everything over your speakers.

I'm not sure how this works with games with built in voice, but I do see it as a requirement that it's possible to output in this format (it also makes changing volumes to match eachother so much easier. Otherwise either the game or the voice chat is unhearable because the other is too loud)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthPsymon View Post
I believe LOTRO does have this function for it's built in voice chat so it's possible for games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiosm1005 View Post
Terrific example. It's wrong in so many ways... Why is a little kid playing a mature game to begin with? And at 5am? That sucks...
The little kid is probably spoiled and his parents give him everything he wants. Which could also be the reason for the screaming since in the game he doesn't always get what he wants.

About the 5am, timezones... When it's 5am somewhere in the world doesn't mean it's 5am everywhere in the world. For the kid it could be 5pm for all you know.
Chirimorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
caiosm1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirimorin View Post
About the 5am, timezones... When it's 5am somewhere in the world doesn't mean it's 5am everywhere in the world. For the kid it could be 5pm for all you know.
... Implying the kid speaks English, he's probably from the US and very likely to be in a timezone near yours.

I've never seen problems with little kids like this from any country other than the US for some reason, though.
caiosm1005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas