Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 07-30-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Stormlight2

Steam doesn't recognize my installed games

When I booted up my computer this evening I received a Steam Guard notification. This was odd because I've been using Steam for almost a year now and I seem to remember going through this procedure quite a few months ago. Anyway, after completing the registration process I tried to boot up one of my games. Instead of the game booting up, up came a window telling me that I had to install the game. I checked all my games in my library and every one of them is listed with an install option only.

I have my games installed in a different directory than the default directory: C:\Games\Steam.

Currently Steam seems to be installed in two directories:
(1) C:\Program Files\Steam
(2) C:\Games\Steam

My guess is that Steam is now running from the first directory. I moved this directory shortly after I installed Steam for the first time, almost a year ago. I don't know if registering Steam Guard this time, it reinstalled itself in the C:\Program Files\Steam directory.

This being the case, how do I get Steam to recognize my games again, hopefully without going through the process of downloading my games again?

Thank you!

Last edited by Stormlight2: 07-30-2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Edited and added additional info
Old 07-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
CTRL ALT DEL !

Verify the game cache, are you using junction links or are the games just moved out of common and you want them to run.

Last edited by CTRL ALT DEL !: 07-30-2012 at 11:45 PM.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Stormlight2

My games are currently in the C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common directory.

Originally Steam was installed in C:\Program Files\Steam. I moved Steam to C:\Games\Steam, then downloaded and installed the games.

The original instructions for changing the location of games, as posted by Steam Support, said to log out and exit Steam, delete all files and folders except for Steam.exe and the SteamApps folder, move them to the new directory (in my case, C:\Games\Steam), then relaunch Steam. After downloading the games, I was able to play them immediately.

However, Steam now seems to have re-installed itself in C:\Program Files\Steam, which I suspect is the reason I cannot play them. I'm still new to Steam so I'm not sure what junction links are, but I'll do a game cache verification.

[Edit] I'm unable to verify the game cache because my Steam Library shows up as empty.

Last edited by Stormlight2: 07-31-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Added additional info
Stormlight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
towny

I would totally re-install steam to a new directory rather than just moving the files.
towny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 AM   #5
noobykidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormlight2 View Post
When I booted up my computer this evening I received a Steam Guard notification. This was odd because I've been using Steam for almost a year now and I seem to remember going through this procedure quite a few months ago. Anyway, after completing the registration process I tried to boot up one of my games. Instead of the game booting up, up came a window telling me that I had to install the game. I checked all my games in my library and every one of them is listed with an install option only.

I have my games installed in a different directory than the default directory: C:\Games\Steam.

Currently Steam seems to be installed in two directories:
(1) C:\Program Files\Steam
(2) C:\Games\Steam

My guess is that Steam is now running from the first directory. I moved this directory shortly after I installed Steam for the first time, almost a year ago. I don't know if registering Steam Guard this time, it reinstalled itself in the C:\Program Files\Steam directory.

This being the case, how do I get Steam to recognize my games again, hopefully without going through the process of downloading my games again?

Thank you!
Verify the game, if that doesn't work, sadly you'll have to re-install the game. That's funny to me though, i had games on a external HDD that rapidly switch to PC > PC but as i've never dealt with having to re-install my games unless i formatted it.
noobykidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Amander

My bet is that your Steam autorun entry points to the old location, update the autorun entry and all of your shortcuts.
Amander is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips