Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 08-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Lo Fi

Monitor Issues after updating Nvidia drivers

So, my friend is using an old Nvidia 9800 GT in his system, and he hasn't updated his drivers in ages (January '09 was the last time, I think), so I told him to get the latest ones. He installs them without issue, but when he restarted his system to complete the installation, there was a large black bar on the right side of his screen that pushed the display to the left, cutting off part of the left side.

He's running on an old Dell monitor at 1280 x 720, but its native resolution is apparently 1280 x 1024. Using the monitor's auto-adjust button and manually re-positioning got it (mostly) back to its original state, but the right side of the screen was now cut off.

Changing to 1280 x 1024 mostly resolved this issue, but there was another problem: The text and images on screen became much blurrier and harder to read. He's tried fiddling around with his monitor and has done a factory reset, but the problem persists. Sorry for the somewhat rambling post. I really hope this forum can help.

Oh, also forgot to mention that he's running Windows XP 32-bit.

Last edited by Lo Fi: 08-02-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Ratus Natus

There are 2 other users complaining about freezes and the latest driver.
Cant you try another one?
Ratus Natus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
divine_skills

Did he install the drivers without removing the old ones first?
divine_skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
fincher234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lo Fi View Post
So, my friend is using an old Nvidia 9800 GT in his system, and he hasn't updated his drivers in ages (January '09 was the last time, I think), so I told him to get the latest ones. He installs them without issue, but when he restarted his system to complete the installation, there was a large black bar on the right side of his screen that pushed the display to the left, cutting off part of the left side.

He's running on an old Dell monitor at 1280 x 720, but its native resolution is apparently 1280 x 1024. Using the monitor's auto-adjust button and manually re-positioning got it (mostly) back to its original state, but the right side of the screen was now cut off.

Changing to 1280 x 1024 mostly resolved this issue, but there was another problem: The text and images on screen became much blurrier and harder to read. He's tried fiddling around with his monitor and has done a factory reset, but the problem persists. Sorry for the somewhat rambling post. I really hope this forum can help.

Oh, also forgot to mention that he's running Windows XP 32-bit.
Is there something about the latest drivers that he really needs? If not it may be best to simply return to the earlier drivers.
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems