Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row The Third

Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #1
GeoRAMIEL

Thumbs down The game hates NVIDIA.

I tried the lowest graphics setting but the frame rate doesn't differ much from a High setting, both slow like sh*t and not even playable. Then I searched and heard the game is sponsored by AMD and that's the true reason of the unbelievable poor performance.

Two of my friends have played this game, one with a low end A card, one with a professional N card. The game can be smooth on both of their computers. Although slow sometimes, there is no problem to play. But it just hates my NVIDIA Geforce 310m. I have enjoyed Just Cause 2 for 40+ hours at a medium setting with my laptop!! But now I feel the devs of Saints Row 3 are mocking me after I stupidly paid for the game. I should have tried a pirated version beforehand!

I have uninstalled the game now and I guess I won't be playing it untill I buy a new pc with a high end NVIDIA card(definitely NO AMD, they have jarateed me off!).
Old 08-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #2
D3s_ToD3s

Maybe try to run it on the DX9-mode?
Or just buy a stronger Card. My GTX550Ti run it on Ultra DX10 without problems
D3s_ToD3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
cyborg34573

Should do more research, this game actually hates AMD hardware, its fine with Nvidia/Intel. It had problems with the FX series processors (which was fixed via Bios update or the Orochi-CEG program), and ontop of that most people with AMD video cards suffer poor performance in this game today even with newer drivers. The game company actually even confirmed this themselves, said they were working on a patch for AMD users.

But idk why you are complaining about your performance when your video card is literally garbage, its a very low end card. It is BELOW the games MINIMUM requirements. The games minimum required Nvidia card is an 8800GT, and your video card is way weaker than that im afraid, not on the same league. But here's some info on your video card.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.22439.0.html

It doesn't matter that you run Just Cause 2 fine as well, they are completely different games using completely different engines. Saints Row the Third is a more demanding game than Just Cause 2.

But yeah this game does not hate Nvidia cards, the only reason its running like crap on your laptop is because you dont have the horse power. Lower your settings perhaps if you have them turned up.

Last edited by cyborg34573: 08-03-2012 at 05:20 AM.
cyborg34573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
GeoRAMIEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg34573 View Post
Should do more research, this game actually hates AMD hardware, its fine with Nvidia/Intel. It had problems with the FX series processors (which was fixed via Bios update or the Orochi-CEG program), and ontop of that most people with AMD video cards suffer poor performance in this game today even with newer drivers. The game company actually even confirmed this themselves, said they were working on a patch for AMD users.

But idk why you are complaining about your performance when your video card is literally garbage, its a very low end card. It is BELOW the games MINIMUM requirements. The games minimum required Nvidia card is an 8800GT, and your video card is way weaker than that im afraid, not on the same league. But here's some info on your video card.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-...M.22439.0.html

It doesn't matter that you run Just Cause 2 fine as well, they are completely different games using completely different engines. Saints Row the Third is a more demanding game than Just Cause 2.

But yeah this game does not hate Nvidia cards, the only reason its running like crap on your laptop is because you dont have the horse power. Lower your settings perhaps if you have them turned up.
Thanks for those information, but even the lowest settings wont work. I have already been planning to by a new pc. Since now I'm clear this game is ok with Nvidia cards, dont need to bother changing my AW X51 plan now.
GeoRAMIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
jackchortz

you're wrong, this game hates ATI cards
jackchortz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
D3s_ToD3s

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/
D3s_ToD3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Animositisomina

No offense guys, but the game hates nVidia too. I've got a GTX 460 1GB and get god-awful performance even in DX9 mode on super low settings. It might not be as bad or as widespread as AMD, but certainly not all of us nVidia users are getting great performance either.
Animositisomina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Waswat

got a nvidia 550 M on my laptop and its not too bad as long as you dont put it up @ high res
Waswat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Animositisomina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waswat View Post
got a nvidia 550 M on my laptop and its not too bad as long as you dont put it up @ high res
It's playable but it should be much better than it is, for what I have anyhow.
Animositisomina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
cyborg34573

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoRAMIEL View Post
Thanks for those information, but even the lowest settings wont work. I have already been planning to by a new pc. Since now I'm clear this game is ok with Nvidia cards, dont need to bother changing my AW X51 plan now.
Man you are getting ripped off bigtime with AlienWare computers seriously. With the money you will pay for that thing, you can build a superior computer from scratch. Most PC gamers nowadays build their own, its just overall better, money and performance wise. Ontop of that if you even mention you have AlienWare to PC gamers you will get laughed at pretty much, its probably the most hated brand in the PC community, they suck, overpriced crap man.

EDIT:
I just searched up on the X51 and its a weak system, the video card it comes with the
"1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555" is crap imo. With games getting more and more demanding now, i wouldn't go for anything lower than a GTX560Ti 448 core version, but even that is starting to show age now. If i were to build a computer today, to ensure it will actually play upcoming games in the years to come and not be a waste of money i have to upgrade in a year, i will give it a GTX580/GTX670 atleast, GTX680 would be the best.

If you go for that X51 pc now, soon when games get more demanding you will see how its a big waste of money, when the video card starts to struggle (it already struggles as its a pretty low end card). Basically you will have to upgrade again pretty soon if you go with that. With video cards its the second number that counts the first number only tells you the series it belongs to, and trust me you dont want to get anything below number 6.

5 and below = low end cards, the lower numbered ones are integrated even
6 = Budget cards (but will perform)
7 - 8 = Performance cards, will most likely play most games on high or maxed out
9 = Enthusiast cards, overkill pretty much

So for Nvidia nowadays you want something with a higher second number, like a GTX560(Ti version)/GTX570/GTX580/GTX670/GTX680. Those are performance cards.

But if you actually build a high end PC from scratch, for pretty much the same price you would buy that AlienWare crap, you'd get better performance (alot better) and longer lifespan out of the thing, wont have to upgrade it for awhile so you save money. Just overall better money wise like i said. If you are a serious PC gamers, prebuilt computers are just not the way to go.

Last edited by cyborg34573: 08-03-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
GeoRAMIEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg34573 View Post
Man you are getting ripped off bigtime with AlienWare computers seriously. With the money you will pay for that thing, you can build a superior computer from scratch. Most PC gamers nowadays build their own, its just overall better, money and performance wise. Ontop of that if you even mention you have AlienWare to PC gamers you will get laughed at pretty much, its probably the most hated brand in the PC community, they suck, overpriced crap man.

EDIT:
I just searched up on the X51 and its a weak system, the video card it comes with the
"1GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 555" is crap imo. With games getting more and more demanding now, i wouldn't go for anything lower than a GTX560Ti 448 core version, but even that is starting to show age now. If i were to build a computer today, to ensure it will actually play upcoming games in the years to come and not be a waste of money i have to upgrade in a year, i will give it a GTX580/GTX670 atleast, GTX680 would be the best.

If you go for that X51 pc now, soon when games get more demanding you will see how its a big waste of money, when the video card starts to struggle (it already struggles as its a pretty low end card). Basically you will have to upgrade again pretty soon if you go with that. With video cards its the second number that counts the first number only tells you the series it belongs to, and trust me you dont want to get anything below number 6.

5 and below = low end cards, the lower numbered ones are integrated even
6 = Budget cards (but will perform)
7 - 8 = Performance cards, will most likely play most games on high or maxed out
9 = Enthusiast cards, overkill pretty much

So for Nvidia nowadays you want something with a higher second number, like a GTX560(Ti version)/GTX570/GTX580/GTX670/GTX680. Those are performance cards.

But if you actually build a high end PC from scratch, for pretty much the same price you would buy that AlienWare crap, you'd get better performance (alot better) and longer lifespan out of the thing, wont have to upgrade it for awhile so you save money. Just overall better money wise like i said. If you are a serious PC gamers, prebuilt computers are just not the way to go.
Bad news for me again?

C'mon, X51 is cool(at least the way it looks). It's well shaped and convenient to carry around, that's infact the main reason I want it. But now you got me think twice.

X51 or a much more powerful pc for game, tough decision to make

and thanks for the suggestions, really helpful ones!
GeoRAMIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
DeadlyFred

AMD FX chips hate Steam, not just this game. Motherboard companies are slowly fixing the problem via BIOS updates though. I'm running this with a 560 and an AMD FX and it runs pretty fine.
DeadlyFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
cyborg34573

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadlyFred View Post
AMD FX chips hate Steam, not just this game. Motherboard companies are slowly fixing the problem via BIOS updates though. I'm running this with a 560 and an AMD FX and it runs pretty fine.
Yes this is true, its because the Steam CEG DRM somehow conflicts with AMD processors. But its not just FX processors that are effected, some normal AMD processors are as well.

Simple fix for that is by updating your motherboards Bios to one that has the fix implemented.

If however your motherboard manufacturer has not released such Bios update yet or you do not want to mess around with flashing your Bios, there is a temporary fix called "Orochi-CEG" (find it in google). Its a little program you can run that temporarily fixes the problem, but yes it is temporary, you have to run the thing everytime you turn on your computer.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #14
ElfShotTheFood

The game hates all low-end cards (like the 310 M) equally.
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Caiobrz

Running on an old GT 9600, run quite smoothly with everything maxed out on DX9 (meaning, what can be maxed in DX9), and most options on medium in DX11

So no, it's not a nVidia problem, it's your problem! 310M is pretty much almost an onboard intel powerwise anyway, so no wonder. My ages old is better.
Caiobrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row The Third