Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
Sinhealer

What happened to"Battle versus Chess"? and no key?

I was about to make a thread to ask if anyone knew more about the game but just now it vanished from the store page.

So I guess I have 2 questions.

1.What happened to it?

2.Does anyone know more about the game,I found this on another site
"Another evolutionary element Battle vs. Chess brings to the arena is the addition of the optional Action Mode. If selected, instead of entering a scripted animation when attacking, players challenge their opponent in a beat-'em-up style encounter. Using a variety of weapons, fighting techniques and combos, players must best their opponent in a fast-paced flurry of blows and special moves –adding a whole new meaning to the phrase checkmate".

It does sound a bit interesting as I do enjoy chess but just not sure how this part of the game would work,also it is not really a budget title and I could play normal chess for free on-line so I am wondering what this game brings to the table to justify the price.

-Edit

I see it is back on the store just not under the new releases ...and now it is gone again.

-2nd Edit

No keys being given out,hopefully Valve will comment on this and sort it out soon.

-3rd Edit
Or maybe they will just ignore everyone
20 hours and counting...

Last edited by Sinhealer: 08-04-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Another problem and 20 hours later no word from Valve
Old 08-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Shelton

I am under the impression that it uses GFWL (at least the retail version does) and it states cross-platform play which is a feature of GFWL. However, it doesn't actually say GFWL anywhere that I can see on the page...

An oversight? Or have they removed it from the Steam version?
Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Statue

Well it's there now. But it's broken. I just bought it and when I try to run it, it asks (IN GERMAN FFS) for a cd key. I right click the game in steam library and click view cd key, but nope. It just says "Requesting key..." forever. Ticket in to support, but just to warn others that right now it's not working. At least for me it isn't.
Statue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Tvangeste

I was just able to buy it from steam a minute ago. Installing now. Maybe look again?

EDIT: Same problem as you Statue. Launched the game I get the key request in german, and then I am stuck at requesting key. Hmm...

Last edited by Tvangeste: 08-03-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Tvangeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
highlatency

I'm getting the same issue, bought, installed, stuck at german key request screen and when I click on the key area in the right-click menu I get "Requesting key . . ." and it just sticks there.
highlatency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Mekast

Does it have GfWL?
Mekast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Statue

Do you happen to know a fast way to get this to the attention of the people on Steam that need to know? Waiting days for a support ticket generic reply to tell me to empty my Steam folder and restart my computer isn't gonna help me much and they really need to know they're selling a non-working product kinda urgently.

As to whether it has GfWL involved anywhere, I have no idea. Currently this is as far as it gets:

http://i49.tinypic.com/33mriom.png

Last edited by Statue: 08-03-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Image added
Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
madfac3

Bought it minutes ago, no CD-Key, prompt in German to enter CD-Key, contacted Steam support.

The images I got are exactly the same ones as Statue.
madfac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statue View Post
As to whether it has GfWL involved anywhere, I have no idea. Currently this is as far as it gets:

http://i49.tinypic.com/33mriom.png
If you could, please have a look in your Steamapps folder for the Battle vs Chess directory, then see if GFWL is in there. It could be in plain view or in a folder marked "redist". I'd appreciate it, thanks.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Tvangeste

As far as I can see Shelton it does not. Took a look through directory.
Tvangeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #11
Shelton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvangeste View Post
As far as I can see Shelton it does not. Took a look through directory.
Ok, thanks for the information.

*It still begs the question though, who is the other platform that we'll be playing with?

Last edited by Shelton: 08-03-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
Thomazz

I just bought and downloaded it
- Asking "in German" for teh key..Then
- I press the CD-key button
- And it is requesting a key..

Dunno what... 3rd august012 EU

hope this will be fixed.

:/
Thomazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Statue

I had the crazy idea that before an item was put onto the live steam storefront it would be tested on a 'non-live', restricted access mirror of the storefront, for steam testers to fake-buy and install and run products before they go live to see if they function.

I would have expected that to occur before it's put out to the live storefront and exposed to millions of customers. Just sticking it up on the live storefront in this non-working form and having us buy it and submit tickets seems even crazier than my crazy idea of how I thought it happened.

There isn't a game forum for it yet, so we're stuck with posting in the general forum amidst lots of threads about all sorts of things, so flagging it up to the people that can do something about it seems impossible. Tickets get viewed far too late for an issue like this to be promptly dealt with (meaning more and more customers buy it and submit tickets).

If there was something in the steam game library where you could click to report that a game that doesn't work at all, at least we could all spam that. I know that could be abused and would also be clicked by people experiencing issues only on their systems but not everyone elses, but they'd just need to view the reports with an automated filter. If EVERYONE that bought it (or a massive percentatge) clicked that IT DOESN'T WORK button, which would be the case with products that do not activate properly like this one, then the automatic filter could beep itself silly on the big fat controller of the steam storefront and at least then someone would know straight away instead of us waiting for 1) someone with the store team's phone number to read this thread or 2) the support team to eventually open a bunch of tickets all saying the same thing.

^There are two crazy ideas for steam devs to think about.
1) Testing game purchases/installs/runs before putting them out live.
2) Having a failsafe mechanism that allows for serious issues (such as a game on the storefront that doesn't work at all for any purchaser) to be pretty instantly flagged up so they could be resolved.

Can I sell Steam these ideas? £2.99 each or something. Like DLC for the Steam Platform.

Yes I'm bored waiting to play Battle Vs Chess Vs Steam Customers.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Sinhealer

Statue I totally agree with you.

It was quite funny how it was released on Steam to start with.

It was under the "new releases"and then removed,also when it first hit the store there was no video preview of the game and then some 10 minutes later there was a preview.It almost seems it was just rushed out for sale as an after thought.

Steam/Valve should be doing better.
Sinhealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
ericL

still here in europe http://store.steampowered.com/app/21..._7_7_151_150_1
ericL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips