Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 08-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Stas823

Banned
Skyrim sound crackling and cutting out

Hello
Recently skyrim has started randomly cutting out sound ( no special thing triggers it) this would first start with high pitched noise for 1-1.5 seconds and then sound would just cut out completely for a couple of minutes then start playing sound again but at low quality
This does not happen in any other game

My specs:
CPU: FX-8120@4.3ghz
RAM:16gb 1600mhz
Graphics:560ti sli
Sound card: x-fi sb xtreme gamer pro

Thanks I hope there's a fix for this annoying issue
Old 08-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Animositisomina

It's a new bug introduced with v1.7 of Skyrim. I haven't seen any solutions posted yet, unfortunately. Hopefully someone will come up with one soon though. It's a rather irritating bug.
Animositisomina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Stas823

Banned
How is it that a patch introduces bugs
Stas823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Megaxtar

It seems with this game when they fix one thing something else breaks that weren't broken.
Megaxtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Animositisomina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stas823 View Post
How is it that a patch introduces bugs
You're not too familiar with Bethesda games, are you? It's pretty much a given that when they fix one thing, they break two others.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
lbCyber

I posted this somewhere else, but I'll post it here as well in the hopes that this solution can still help others (as I haven't seen it posted anywhere online)

I'm not sure if you're still having this problem, or if there's anyone out there who's yet to find a solution online, but I recently built a new system and encountered this issue, complete with an X-fi card, funnily enough. I found that the game would spontaneously play static or loud pops, and on occasion would emit a horrible garbled crackle then the audio would drop out completely. I've noticed that this was commonly reported by X-fi users, so I explored the issue as best I could, and I think I came up with the problem.

It isn't directly a patch issue, but the latest Skyrim patch I believe forced a reinstall of certain audio codecs for the game, some of which simply do not like Creative drivers. If you've furthermore installed a codec pack like CCCP, you're very likely to have this problem. The issue is with codecs and Creative cards not liking each other.

The solution: Uninstall CCCP or any other codec pack you have installed. Download, instead, the one codec pack that seems to work well with Creative cards, The K-Lite Codec Pack. If you're running a 64-bit system, install the regular pack first, then the 64-bit pack second. After each install, make sure the file TESV.exe (and skse_loader.exe if you're running mods) is added into ffdshow audio decoders's list of excepted applications. You'll find this list in the ffdshow audio decoder configuration window under DirectShow control and the box labeled "Don't use ffdshow in:".

Rebooting might not be necessary, but it's recommended. Try running Skyrim afterward, and see how you fair. This did, in fact, work for three different systems I've tested that had this exact problem.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by lbCyber: 08-07-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: just a quick tweak
lbCyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Stas823

Banned
Thanks for that I also found myself that if I turn crystalliser off in the control panel the problem occurs less often
Stas823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Quadocky

Quote:
Thanks for that I also found myself that if I turn crystalliser off in the control panel the problem occurs less often
In general I find the cystalizer to be only useful for music. Video games with lots of sound and their various high and low frequency can cause too much distortion. Especially with sudden higher pitched noises.

I don't know if it will help but perhaps you could turn down the overall sound quality to 24-Bit 4400 or whatever it is. Or just 16-bit 4400. If its too high it may cause some incompatibility if the source audio is not good enough.
Quadocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
squall_leonhart

Quote:
Hello
Recently skyrim has started randomly cutting out sound ( no special thing triggers it) this would first start with high pitched noise for 1-1.5 seconds and then sound would just cut out completely for a couple of minutes then start playing sound again but at low quality
This does not happen in any other game

My specs:
CPU: FX-8120@4.3ghz
RAM:16gb 1600mhz
Graphics:560ti sli
Sound card: x-fi sb xtreme gamer pro

Thanks I hope there's a fix for this annoying issue
contrary to what others have said, its actually a bug in the xfi drivers.
squall_leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
squall_leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbCyber View Post
I posted this somewhere else, but I'll post it here as well in the hopes that this solution can still help others (as I haven't seen it posted anywhere online)

I'm not sure if you're still having this problem, or if there's anyone out there who's yet to find a solution online, but I recently built a new system and encountered this issue, complete with an X-fi card, funnily enough. I found that the game would spontaneously play static or loud pops, and on occasion would emit a horrible garbled crackle then the audio would drop out completely. I've noticed that this was commonly reported by X-fi users, so I explored the issue as best I could, and I think I came up with the problem.

It isn't directly a patch issue, but the latest Skyrim patch I believe forced a reinstall of certain audio codecs for the game, some of which simply do not like Creative drivers. If you've furthermore installed a codec pack like CCCP, you're very likely to have this problem. The issue is with codecs and Creative cards not liking each other.

The solution: Uninstall CCCP or any other codec pack you have installed. Download, instead, the one codec pack that seems to work well with Creative cards, The K-Lite Codec Pack. If you're running a 64-bit system, install the regular pack first, then the 64-bit pack second. After each install, make sure the file TESV.exe (and skse_loader.exe if you're running mods) is added into ffdshow audio decoders's list of excepted applications. You'll find this list in the ffdshow audio decoder configuration window under DirectShow control and the box labeled "Don't use ffdshow in:".

Rebooting might not be necessary, but it's recommended. Try running Skyrim afterward, and see how you fair. This did, in fact, work for three different systems I've tested that had this exact problem.

Hope that helps!
Skyrim, in my testing, always uses its internally provided codecs and not ffdshow
Old 08-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #11
Animositisomina

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall_leonhart View Post
contrary to what others have said, its actually a bug in the xfi drivers.
You sure about that? I have a Sound Blaster Audigy SE and have had the same problem. Pretty sure it isn't xfi drivers that only cause this issue.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
squall_leonhart

audigy uses almost the exact same drivers.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
dfstone

Virtually every single Bethesda game has sound driver issues especially if you are using a Realtek driver. The only thing I've seen that fixes it is scrapping any custom sound drivers and using the microsoft drivers instead.
dfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #14
jojimbo44

I had sound issues and changes the audio from 16 bit to 24 bit (studio)quality,this worked for me
jojimbo44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V