Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
sebastiannielse

suggestion: Disable VAC accounts AND get a "trap" system.

I have 2 fresh ideas:

First, I think VAC bans should be removed completely and be replaced with disabling the accounts instead.
Theres no legal problems with this, since the agreement allows Steam to terminate any account that is flagged for VAC:

Valve may terminate your Account or a particular Subscription for any conduct or activity that Valve believes is illegal, constitutes a Cheat, or which otherwise negatively affects the enjoyment of Steam by other Subscribers.

-----

Then I have a real great idea: Save a encrypted account token on the computer when a account is VAC flagged or disabled. This token is permanent. If a new account logs on from this computer, that account is VAC flagged as well. The token should be saved on the computer anytime a disabled or a flagged account login (or attempt to login) to the computer.
Note that the token should not be able to be used to see if a account is flagged, so best idea is to save a encrypted token regardless of if the computer is considered "vac flagged" or not, but the contents of the token is different, and since its encrypted, you cannot use the token to see if you are VAC flagged or not.

The final idea, is when a new account is created from a "computer with token":
The account is flagged. But since the account is empty, it should not be disabled. Instead the VAC system could wait until the owner of the account purchases at lease one paid game.
THEN the random timer will start ticking, and then BAM disabled.

So basically:
If I have lets say Account1. I cheat on this account, and then it gets disabled. I lose all games on Account1, and also my computer gets a "token".

Lets say I decide to register Account2. Account2 will never get banned since its empty. even if I let the account be for multiple years, this "pending" VAC flag will be there.
Once I purchase anything on the account (not F2P games), the "pending" VAC flag will become a "real" VAC flag that will start a random timer, that will the disable the account completely.
The random timer will be the same delay for standard VAC bans, so even if ALL cheats are removed, any new accounts will be disabled too.

The random timer could even be a little bit longer for new accounts, to trick cheaters into purchasing many games on the new account, and then BAM disabled.
The VAC flagging could even be combined with a system which waits until the account is "worth" a specific sum in money, and then it disables it or starts the random timer

In this way, Valve earns money from cheaters, because they will re-purchase the games, but then get disabled again (even if they don't cheat more), and then valve gets to keep the money.

When a cheater gets his account disabled, steam support could simply lie and say that there is resident cheat parts on the computer, even if the disablement is caused by a "token" and not a actual cheat. So only way for cheater to get his computer clean is to COMPLETELY reformat it.

Token should of course stay even if you uninstall and reinstall Steam. Token could be saved in most parts possible, like those time limited trial software does to prevent reusing the software after trial period is over.
Maybe consider putting a token in HPA too, so it will survive a reformat.

So basically, most cheaters will have to repurchase the games 3-4 times before being able to play again.

This are entirely different from the hardware bans suggested, since there was fear that hardware IDs can be faked causing innocent people to be banned.
This should work with encrypted tokens, so the ONLY way to get your account disabled due to cheating is:
1: Cheat
2: Log onto a computer that have previously been flagged for cheating, even if the cheats are completely cleaned off. Only way to get rid of token is to reformat.
3: Letting a VAC flagged or a disabled user log onto your computer. (so your computer gets flagged)

So no innocent people are disabled. (And NO, you aren't innocent if you purchase a computer on ebay and does not reformat it. It could be a cheat in autostart, or a "disable token". Same thing!)

Last edited by sebastiannielse: 08-06-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
jgperuherjpmer

That ideas isn't fresh. Check this thread about your "idea".

Also you don't understand that cheating is PROFITABLE to publishers and Steam. When your account is banned and you want to play this game again, your re-buying this game again on a new account. That's a money, you know. And commercial structures is all about money. Their main goal is maximizing profit.

Your ideas is just stupid...
Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
sebastiannielse

jgperuherjpmer: Thats why I suggest the "trap idea" to maximize profit.

So when a cheater re-register, the new accounts isnt immediately banned or flagged, instead the system waits until the cheater re-purchase the game. THEN it flags/bans the account.

This gives the same profit as today's system.

It can even VAC flag credit card numbers, so using a VAC flagged credit card number will VAC flag the account.

The cheater does not know that causing the VAC ban, so he will repurchase the game over and over and over again until he finds out that its no idea to try.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
jgperuherjpmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastiannielse View Post
jgperuherjpmer: Thats why I suggest the "trap idea" to maximize profit.

So when a cheater re-register, the new accounts isnt immediately banned or flagged, instead the system waits until the cheater re-purchase the game. THEN it flags/bans the account.

This gives the same profit as today's system.

It can even VAC flag credit card numbers, so using a VAC flagged credit card number will VAC flag the account.

The cheater does not know that causing the VAC ban, so he will repurchase the game over and over and over again until he finds out that its no idea to try.
What's the point of this system? It's completely disable one person from playin' VAC-secured games. But what if his account was hacked and hacker used cheats? So that person will never ever will play again? LOL.

As I said, your ideas is stupid. Cheated once = flagged for life? OMG, what's your smoking, bro? :)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Smile286

That's nonsense. Who will use Steam then? There is a chance, small, but a chance, that your account may be hijacked even with guard enabled. So, if hijacker is used cheats on you account, you won't be able to play games on Steam for life?

:-)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
sebastiannielse

jgperuherjpmer: Yep exactly what I mean. If you cheat once, then it should flag as much as possible that is safe to flag.

So CC number, encrypted "cookie" on HDD is 2 items that can be safely flagged without risking innocent people.

And what I say, it should not only disable from VAC servers. The account should be completely disabled, so even single player access is revoked. Since the steam agreement have a provision for this, its only a simple flip of a switch, theres no legal problems.

Smile286: You can play again, but that would consist of getting a new CC from the bank (which have a fee), reformatting computer (maybe even purchasing a new motherboard if steam can stuff a token there) and then repurchasing ALL games on the account. And NEVER ever touch the old account from your new system.

If you fail at one of those points, you have to start over from square 1.

Last edited by sebastiannielse: 08-06-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
jgperuherjpmer

Quote:
jgperuherjpmer: Yep exactly what I mean. If you cheat once, then it should flag as much as possible that is safe to flag.

So CC number, encrypted "cookie" on HDD is 2 items that can be safely flagged without risking innocent people.

And what I say, it should not only disable from VAC servers. The account should be completely disabled, so even single player access is revoked. Since the steam agreement have a provision for this, its only a simple flip of a switch, theres no legal problems.
Good think that will never happen.

That isn't about legal problems or something, that's about 'userfriendly'. With your stupid idea no one will ever use Steam.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
sebastiannielse

jgperuherjpmer: Why would no one use steam? Only cheaters would be affected by this change anyways.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
jgperuherjpmer

Quote:
jgperuherjpmer: Why would no one use steam? Only cheaters would be affected by this change anyways.
Can't you read? There is dozens of accounts being hijacked everyday. If hacker will use cheat on this account, it will be VAC-flagged. And normal person who have loses & retrieved their account will never ever will be able to play on Steam according to your "system"...
Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
TheDarkMessiah

That's the funniest thing I've read today. Thank you.

Oh, well, of course that won't happen. Because of common sense, you know.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
sebastiannielse

Thats why we have Steam guard. Use it along with gmail and google authenticator and you are safe.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
PGG

Quote:
Thats why we have Steam guard. Use it along with gmail and google authenticator and you are safe.
So everyone is forced to use Gmail now? Your second brilliant idea today!

Guys, I think, he is just a troll. Don't feed the troll, please.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #13
CTRL ALT DEL !

This is so insane, I am not going to bother ripping it to pieces.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
sebastiannielse

not forced. Its your responsibility to make sure your account stay safe. How you do is up to you.

But in fact, it would not be a huge problem if you get hijacked, since its only to make sure you don't recover the hijacked account, instead you order a new CC from the bank and create a new account and rebuy all games.

Because its only when you login to the disabled, hijacked account on your computer, that when the computer gets flagged.

Last edited by sebastiannielse: 08-06-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
CTRL ALT DEL !

Can't help it.

Did you know that repeat cheaters only buy 1 game per account screwing up your entire trap plan.

Disabling banned accounts, same thing you will only get 1 game per account anyway.

Two sentences and your entire plan falls in a heap doesn't it.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion