Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 08-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Lord iCeDrAgOn

Steam needs built in game compatability options

I would like to see stem add some basic compatibility options to the UI. For example some people have found that by disabling desktop composition in Windows they get a performance increase in some games. This is something that steam could very easily add. all it takes is hooking up a check box on the games properties page to a call to the windows API function "DwmEnableComposition". if it's checked, make the call to the windows API function and disable composition and the game launches, when the game exits, call it again, and set it back to the way it was.

For some of the more complex issues such as compatibility mode. it would be nice if steam also included a button to launch windows explorer inside the folder where the specific game resides. There is most likely ways that Steam could set compatibility options for applications itself, but I wasn't able to find anything specific in the WinAPI documentation, Not saying that it's not there, considering I just did a quick little search.

Just a few suggestion to hopefully make steam a little more easier to use for older games. It might also make it eaiser for developers if steam had a unified process instead of having to rely on the specific OS itself.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
Lord iCeDrAgOn

I'll be honest. I thought that there would have been more users that would have had an opinion on this topic since it seems that with the PC and older games and newer versions of Windows, compatability issues can be a real problem.
Lord iCeDrAgOn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas