Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 08-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Wolfgabe

Steam for Wii U

I think Valve should develop a Steam client for Wii U. Nintendo said they wanted to allow developers to host their own networks besides Nintendo Network. I think a Steam client on Wii U would be perfect. I am happy Nintendo did not let EA run everything with their crappy Origin.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
lillythemoogle

Oh look, another Origin hate post with no explanation!

Steam should just stick to computers, and Nintendo should keep making great first party games. Everyone's happy, there you go.
lillythemoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
the1whoknowsall

Even better nintendo should release their games on steam...so I don't have to pay for hardware just to play their games. Like sega was forced to. Then they can focus on just making great games and not so so hardware.
the1whoknowsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Knight of Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1whoknowsall View Post
Even better nintendo should release their games on steam...so I don't have to pay for hardware just to play their games. Like sega was forced to. Then they can focus on just making great games and not so so hardware.
I would like to see Nintendo put their games on Steam a ton, but I doubt that is going to happen.
Knight of Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Apples2Apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillythemoogle View Post

Steam should just stick to computers, and Nintendo should keep making great first party games. Everyone's happy, there you go.
I'm not happy. I don't want their crappy hardware anymore. Their software libraries are all digital now and they STILL won't sell them on other platforms.

It is bad business and it disenfranchised me as a consumer. I would happily buy a lot of Nintendo games for PC. I will not buy any more of their hardware.
Apples2Apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
lillythemoogle

What? Nintendo's libraries are all digital? When in the hell did that happen?

For older games yes, but the newer ones, no. It's not bad business. You have to be an idiot to think it's bad business to produce software only for their console, as they have been doing SINCE THEY STARTED. Would you say the same for Sony and Microsoft doing system exclusives? Or are you a standard PC elitist?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
strela

Quote:

Steam for Wii U = hate origin.
strela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #8
kijib

I like this idea
kijib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
the1whoknowsall

Quote:

For older games yes, but the newer ones, no. It's not bad business. You have to be an idiot to think it's bad business to produce software only for their console, as they have been doing SINCE THEY STARTED. Would you say the same for Sony and Microsoft doing system exclusives? Or are you a standard PC elitist?
No it's called choice, ideally the only limit to playing a Faber besides price should be whetheryour system of choice can run said game. Getting locked in to a system that cannot be upgraded and forces you to rebuy all your games in another format every 7 years stinks.
the1whoknowsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #10
Bobafett2k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgabe View Post
I think Valve should develop a Steam client for Wii U. Nintendo said they wanted to allow developers to host their own networks besides Nintendo Network. I think a Steam client on Wii U would be perfect. I am happy Nintendo did not let EA run everything with their crappy Origin.
You started with a suggestion for Valve, fair enough. But then turned it into a chance to bash EA and their Origin client... Why not just make the suggestion, give some of your ideas without having a pop at a rival business?

Out of curiosity, what do you find so "crappy" about Origin?
Bobafett2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Solona

Quote:
Originally Posted by strela View Post
Steam for Wii U = hate origin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgabe View Post
Solona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
lillythemoogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1whoknowsall View Post
No it's called choice, ideally the only limit to playing a Faber besides price should be whetheryour system of choice can run said game. Getting locked in to a system that cannot be upgraded and forces you to rebuy all your games in another format every 7 years stinks.
Hurr durr

The Wii could play all Gamecube games, the Wii-U has full support for Wii games. Doing a bit of research helps.

You're making a bad point here, honestly.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
Sepioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples2Apples View Post
I'm not happy. I don't want their crappy hardware anymore. Their software libraries are all digital now and they STILL won't sell them on other platforms.

It is bad business and it disenfranchised me as a consumer. I would happily buy a lot of Nintendo games for PC. I will not buy any more of their hardware.
Even if they where ALL DIGITAL (laugh at that one) .. they can not sell them on other "platforms". In order to put a Wii game on Steam (PC) it would require them to basically "rewrite" the game to run on completely different hardware.
Sepioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
TheHappyCog

Quote:
All first party Nintendo games from New Super Mario Bros. 2 onwards are going to be same-day digital and retail launches. They also intend to get as many third parties on board with digital products as they can.

@OP
Could you toss me the source of that info? I'm not saying you're lying but given the Nintendo Network/Miiverse marketing push and their extremely insular company culture, I find it very strange that Nintendo would even entertain the idea of Steam or similar services on their platforms.
TheHappyCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
Sepioth

Quote:
Hurr durr

The Wii could play all Gamecube games, the Wii-U has full support for Wii games. Doing a bit of research helps.

You're making a bad point here, honestly.
Hehe couldn't agree more here ... backwards compatibility has been around for a LONG time .. so you never had to "rebuy" games. This only happened with the VHS to DVD leap

Wii plays Gamecube
WiiU plays Wii
PS2 played PS1
PS3 played PS2 and PS2
Genesis played Master System (with an adapter)
Gameboy Color plays Gameboy
Gameboy Advance plays Gameboy Color and Gameboy
Nintendo 3DS plays Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS plays Gameboy Advance
Atari 5200 played Atari 2600 games (with adapter)
Xbox 360 plays Xbox

I think that's it :P
Sepioth is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas