Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magic: The Gathering series > Tactics

Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
King_V

M:TG Tactics simply doesn't work??

Ok, so I just downloaded this game, and created a station account. Figured I'd give it a try, I used to play M:TG back in the mid-late 90s...

Alright, I log in, no problem. I click PLAY, no problem.

The game goes into fullscreen, music plays, and several splash screens show up, the last two of which are a woman with fiery hair, followed by a big guy who looks like he's stitching something.

Then the screen goes black. The sort of dagger-looking mouse is still there, and I can move it, but the screen remains completely black, while the music continues to play.

If I hit F2, the music stops, never to restart, even if I hit F2 again. If I hit F12, a sort of electronic, almost camera-like sound is made, but nothing else happens. The F12 key will make the sound regardless of whether the music in the background is still playing or not.

So, now what?

My system is a Dell, Core i5-2320 CPU, 8GB RAM, with an AMD Radeon HD 6670 video card.

Not sure what could be causing the problem. Any thoughts/suggestions?

EDIT: Hmph, I guess F12 is the screenshot functionality in Steam. Still, other than that, no real idea what's happening.

EDIT2: I've tried starting the game and waiting on the blank screen a few times now. Does it mean anything that every time I start the game, it asks for an administrator password? Also, the very last time I started it, when it switched from the "fire woman" splash screen to the big-guy-stitching . . it actually flickered between those two images for about a half second. Then everything progressed as it has every time thus far.

Last edited by King_V: 08-11-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
phoenixmp

I think it may have something to do with our ATI video cards. Apart from that, I have no idea why it's doing this to us.
phoenixmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
DeadEternity

I'm having the same issue, except when it gets to the second splash screen, it doesn't freeze or anything, it simply just doesn't load and sits on that screen forever.
DeadEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
DeadEternity

Open your Game Directory, go to preferences.dat and find "Use Deferred Rendering" and set it to false. I did this and my game works now.
DeadEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
King_V

No go on that one for me . . . Apparently whenever I try to start the game, it sets itself back to true.

Last edited by King_V: 08-18-2012 at 07:23 PM.
King_V is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magic: The Gathering series > Tactics