Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Old 08-12-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Skeith

Playing with the new audio settings

In the blog post they mentioned adding three new settings

http://blog.counter-strike.net/index...-begins-today/

snd_speaker/headphone_pan_radial_weight (that was probably two and they were abbreviating)
snd_headphone_pan_mode
snd_speaker_pan_mode

and for some reason we ended up with

snd_headphone_pan_exponent
snd_stereo_speaker_pan_exponent
snd_surround_speaker_pan_exponent

and

snd_headphone_pan_radial_weight
snd_stereo_speaker_pan_radial_weight
snd_surround_speaker_pan_radial_weight

We didn't get the pan_mode setting for some reason. I shot a tweet at csgo_dev, we'll see if they respond.

Armed with only reading the wikipedia entry on panning ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_(audio) ) I commenced to screw around.

I played around with the pan_exponent setting at .5, then at 2. I found the lower setting made it noticeably more difficult to tell the where the source of a sound was. I had better results increasing it to 2. Sound is such a personal thing I could just be imagining any improvement, but I think 2 provides much better directional sound than 1. I'll be switching between 1 and 2 as I play more to see if there is a real improvement. Increasing it to a higher value like 5 didn't have an effect I could notice.

radial_weight I don't even know what to do with. The patch notes read

Added snd_speaker/headphone_pan_radial_weight, which applies the “GldSrc” stil cosine weighting but weighted by this float convar. this allows for 1.6 style side weighting but with the exponential center weight allowed by exponential mode.

Which is jibber jabber to me. So I played with the settings until I found a noticeable result. Increasing radial_weight to 20 caused sounds to seem much closer than their source. A player walking towards me would sound like they were directly beside me when they were still several feet in front of me. I couldn't find any benefit in raising or lowering this.

Please share what settings you prefer.

These settings don't save so once you find ones you like put them in your autoexec.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
EnYoFace

Banned
snd_headphone_pan_exponent "2"
snd_headphone_pan_radial_weight "2"

It's a little bit better makes it a little clearer from where the sound comes. But nothing essential.

The sounds in general are bad. Too much environmental noises. Footsteps are too quite. Sounds for some actions are completely missing. And the 3D positioning is non-existent. It's only 2D - left or right.

I had this game on de_dust in 1v1 situation. We both walking. I was constantly hearing some environmental sounds from everywhere. Noises. I didn't know what sound is his and what is just noise. Bad.
EnYoFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnYoFace View Post

It's a little bit better makes it a little clearer from where the sound comes. But nothing essential.

The sounds in general are bad. Too much environmental noises. Footsteps are too quite. Sounds for some actions are completely missing. And the 3D positioning is non-existent. It's only 2D - left or right.

I had this game on de_dust in 1v1 situation. We both walking. I was constantly hearing some environmental sounds from everywhere. Noises. I didn't know what sound is his and what is just noise. Bad.
Ya, I'm pretty disappointed that this big sound update seems like it was nothing. Why not add some of these to the actual sound menu so we can see what settings are there.
helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Skeith

The audio update was a dramatic improvement for me. You might want to default your audio settings to see if that helps.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Skriptah

I tried these 2 and i got a weird sound that played when people walked. It scared me messing with these commands.
Skriptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #6
Skriptah

bump anyone?
Skriptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Kill.Ow

BUMP. We need to know how to set up our audio, VALVe. So, you may explain to us.
Kill.Ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
HYPERMACHETE

bump...i also would like to know how I can improve my sound.
HYPERMACHETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
wombo194

I use:

Along with the headphones option. I'm not sure what more there is to change, but with those 2 settings directional sound is pretty clear and loud to me.
wombo194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
SupahNinja_GR

Don't know what these settings do, other than bring a whole shιtload of bugs with them. Sound has been getting worse since the August 10th upgrade. It's a shame they ruined it.
SupahNinja_GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #11
HYPERMACHETE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombo194 View Post
I use:

Along with the headphones option. I'm not sure what more there is to change, but with those 2 settings directional sound is pretty clear and loud to me.
I've tested your settings, but there is no difference to "1"...generally the sound seems to be broken. I'm using a good headset (Sennheiser PC350) and played CS 1.6 on a competitive level. I'm actually playing with "headphones" and I can hear steps through the whole map (tested it with a mate). When you are standing inferno @ upper-mid and someone rushs the banana, you can finally hear every single step - its absolutely terrible.
HYPERMACHETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:55 AM   #12
ca1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombo194 View Post
I use:

They both say they're sv_cheats protected
ca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #13
ca1

They are both sv_cheats protected so I don't understand how anyone can say they've been getting better sound using them
ca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
csgobetafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1 View Post
They are both sv_cheats protected so I don't understand how anyone can say they've been getting better sound using them
No they are not. I just tried to change them in a server without any problems.
csgobetafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 AM   #15
Kill.Ow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1 View Post
Best way to use them, I think, is to put in the autoexec.
Kill.Ow is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive