Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Old 08-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Nickz

Exclamation AMD Bulldozer CPU Crashes/Low FPS CS:GO

Over the last few months there have been MANY players posting threads about CS:GO crashing their computer or stuttering/low fps with an AMD FX CPU. There is hope for MOST of you.

Now, there has been people posting Intel based systems in here looking for a fix, however, this will not work for you. This is only related to AMD FX/Bulldozer CPUs.

So if you didn't get the MOST part, well that depends on your motherboard manufacturers support. The problem lies not with the CPU, but an incompatibility with the BIOS for certain games like Deus Ex and programs like Steam. The fix is an update to the AGESA 1.2.x.x CPU Microcode. It will be listed in the BIOS change log.

Also a note, BETA BIOS upgrades can be used, however if you don't feel safe about it, try the latest stable release.

To find out what motherboard you have, download CPUZ here:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Here is an support page on the AMD website describing the issue: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...platforms.aspx

Here is the fix:

1. Go to your motherboard manufacturers website and go to their support page.

2. Find or search for your motherboard model.

3. Download the LATEST BIOS for your motherboard.

4. This will differ depending on how the BIOS is on every motherboard. Some BIOSs can update through the UEFI (Graphical BIOS) or through the use of a flash program such as AWDFLASH. Read in your manual about how to update your BIOS.

5. This part is VERY IMPORTANT. DO NOT EVER SHUT DOWN THE PC WHILE THE BIOS IS BEING UPDATED. If you do, it will "brick" the board and render is useless and inoperable.

6. Once the update is complete, you computer may or may not restart on it's own. Again, read up on it in your manual or on the manufacturers website.

7. You will need to set your BIOS back to default, and any overclock settings or boot order as well.

8. Now you should be ready to game again.

Alternatively, those of you who use Gigabyte motherboards can follow this post:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...0&postcount=26
Thanks to pitcherman for his contribution.

GA-78LMT-S2P users: There is a special alpha BIOS in this post that might help you. Please note that the BIOS is for a revision 4.0 board. I CANNOT VERIFY THIS WORKS ON ANY OTHER VERSION OF THE BOARD AND WILL NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY IF IT DOESN'T WORK. Here is the link: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...4&postcount=38 Thanks to confubitated for his find.

If in the event that this DOES NOT fix the issue, contact your motherboard manufacturer about the issue and they might give you an updated BIOS or patch one and put it back on the support site.

That's pretty much it. If you have issues, post them here and I/we can help you find a fix.

Also, as a request, can we sticky this for a while as more people will be purchasing the game using an FX based system and this is a known issue. It will greatly reduce the amount of created threads on the issue.

Last edited by Nickz: 03-01-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
Nickz

Sorry for the bump, but just want to get this out there for everyone. It got knocked to the third page after 3 minutes....
Nickz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
lvzeppelin

I cant find my model on the gigabyte website. CPU-Z says its 2AC8. On the gigabyte website, when i get to the chipset option, the thing that CPU-z displays is not close to any of the options....
lvzeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Nickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvzeppelin View Post
I cant find my model on the gigabyte website. CPU-Z says its 2AC8. On the gigabyte website, when i get to the chipset option, the thing that CPU-z displays is not close to any of the options....
Check your manual or your board itself for the model number. CPUZ has issues sometimes with identifying boards.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
lvzeppelin

Where would I look at my manual for it?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
Nickz

Quote:
Where would I look at my manual for it?
Somewhere it will show the board number, or even on the cover. lol
Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
lvzeppelin

No, I am asking where to find my manual in the first place LOL, not where to find it in the manual.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Nickz

Quote:
No, I am asking where to find my manual in the first place LOL, not where to find it in the manual.
You don't have the manual?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
lvzeppelin

I did not build my computer out of scratch. It was a build that I modified... I was never given a physical copy of the manual...
Old 08-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Nickz

Quote:
I did not build my computer out of scratch. It was a build that I modified... I was never given a physical copy of the manual...
Ah, in that case, look on your motherboard for the model. It will be printed on it, usually around the slots.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:32 PM   #11
lvzeppelin

Ok thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #12
Flamboastin

Jus' a heads up I had crazy FPS with this game and then I actually updated my BIOS on the MSI website and it works like a charm now!

I wonder if Warhammer 40k and Shogun Total War will run now?? lol

Thanks man!

edit: thought I might add i had a FX 6100 and a 970A-G45 mobo.. MSi's live update is actually very helpful and easy to use

Last edited by Flamboastin: 08-14-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Flamboastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM   #13
Nickz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboastin View Post
Jus' a heads up I had crazy FPS with this game and then I actually updated my BIOS on the MSI website and it works like a charm now!

I wonder if Warhammer 40k and Shogun Total War will run now?? lol

Thanks man!
You're welcome!

Also, I've had about 15 people add me so far about this. Can a Mod sticky this? I'm sure we can avoid threads for this issues if it's up there. The FX CPUs are VERY popular with gamers.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #14
Ysydd

Hi,

I looked on the Gigabyte website and tried to download my latest BIOS drivers, it said that it was a 32 bit version but i don't see 64 bit version can you help?

My motherboard is GI78LMT-S2P

Last edited by Ysydd: 08-14-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Ysydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
Servus

I've never updated my BIOS before, so hoping someone can give me a hand. My mobo is a M68MT-S2 by Gigabyte Technology w/ a nvidia GeForce 7025 chipset.

My BIOS brand is Award Software International, version FB dated 8/26/11.

I have no idea where to go from here. I thought I'd found the update from Giga, but it didn't run on a 64 bit system.
Servus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive