Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games

Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
Logsi

CS:GO Mac Beta Bugs/Glitches/Findings

Thought it would be nice to make a thread where we can share and consolidate some findings on the Mac version of the game to make it better for all of us.

I've been playing the PC version for quite some time and was a bit bemused as to why the Mac client wasn't available until yesterday. The Mac client is lagging a bit behind where the Windows version is with regards to bugs/glitches/musings.

Here's a list of what I've found since playing the Mac version.

• There is no dynamic player shadows on players
  • The game is too dark, dynamic range from HDR is all over the place. The "+gl_nullqueries 1" string for launch options alleviates some of the issue and also some of the stuttering and as said in another thread can cause some issues with lighting, namely, blown out areas like sand
  • Sound glitches from players. When players are walking around I can hear weird glitches/distorted squeals emanating from other characters in the game
  • Really bad frame tearing
  • Can't change interpratio like on Windows, stuck at 100ms, so at a constant disadvantage on private servers

These are the main things I have noticed so far and performance wise I'm finding the game very good.

Thanks Valve and Hidden Path for taking the time and effort make the game available for Mac. We're not all whiney buggers and I hope the constant ignorant threads don't deter you from porting and developing games for the Mac platform.

Last edited by Logsi: 08-22-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
Trautman29

http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos/full/637646134.jpg

Certainly, there is no dynamic player shadows on players.

iMac mid 2011, 2.5GHz Intel Core i5, RAM: 12GB, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB, Mac OS X 10.7.4

Last edited by Trautman29: 08-15-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Trautman29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Blueflame_X800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trautman29 View Post
http://s1-02.twitpicproxy.com/photos/full/637646134.jpg

Certainly, there is no dynamic player shadows on players.

iMac mid 2011, 2.5GHz Intel Core i5, RAM: 12GB, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB, Mac OS X 10.7.4
Yep, there should also be a shadow from the helicopter blades at CT spawn, but that's not displaying either.
Blueflame_X800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Mr Boogeyman

Server Browser just shows a blank page on Mac.
Mr Boogeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Logsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Boogeyman View Post
Server Browser just shows a blank page on Mac.
Yeah. It seems to do that for me too. If it's left long enough, like 3-4 minutes it sometimes shows servers but that happens on all Source games for some reason.

There is an option to change how many pings per minute in steam preferences that sometimes helps with server finding.
Logsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Mr Boogeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logsi View Post
Yeah. It seems to do that for me too. If it's left long enough, like 3-4 minutes it sometimes shows servers but that happens on all Source games for some reason.

There is an option to change how many pings per minute in steam preferences that sometimes helps with server finding.
im only getting this on CS:GO all other server browsers work normally.

PS. Hitboxes still suck

Last edited by Mr Boogeyman: 08-15-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Mr Boogeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
bwRavencl

Exclamation Sound issue

Quote:
Sound glitches from players. When players are walking around I can hear weird glitches/distorted squeals emanating from other characters in the game
Confirming this!
bwRavencl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #8
xxsnap

I am also hearing the "squeaks"

other bugs if found is for some reason no one can here me. when i use the key to talk my name will pop up in the corner and no one will respond so practically game chat for macs dont work.

Start up for several people are having problems i figured out how to do it here http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2878102

Also have seen many server problems but i have no place to be talking about those
xxsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Pringletot

When I join an Arms Race I get into the game fine, but then it leaves me with a cursor, as if I'm on a menu screen, instead of the crosshairs of the gun. This makes me unable to fire, turn, or do anything that requires the mouse. It also prevents me from opening up the menu screen so I can't even leave without command tabbing out of the game to quit out completely. All I can really do is move without turning, which I have found to be a fairly ineffective strategy for most games.
Pringletot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
xxsnap

I have also found a couple of times when i launch the game and finally get into a lobby and my mouse want work as in i cant turn to aim but i can press esc and click end game fine so i restart the game completely

also just now i was running around with a knife and it kept acting like i was pulling out my knife, (switching to it) but it was already out then when i tried to knife it didnt do it the right way left or right click
xxsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
pedrobrandi

Hi I have the same problem here, have you fixed?

thx
pedrobrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
pedrobrandi

Same problem here, do you got a fix?
pedrobrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #13
dallas_112678

Like many people on windows, I am getting VERY random FPS drops on the mac version. Sometimes I'll start a round getting 60+ FPS and it will just randomly drop down to 20-30 FPS. Virtually always happens when around multiple people. Sometimes when I respawn it will start at 20 FPS and then a minute later it would jump back up to 60.

Also, shooting certain spots on maps (Such as the box at B site next to the railing on aztec) will make the FPS drop down to 10 FPS even at low resolutions.

I know people are getting a ton of FPS drops on the windows version, but I wanted to point out that the mac version is also suffering the similar problems. Valve been very good recently at making their games run very comparable with respect to performance between Mac and Windows and would hope this would be the same.

Also, I'm not very familiar with how Valve patches a game between platforms. If they patch the windows version to fix those issues would they also do the same with the Mac version? Like I said, the vast majority of people who are reaching out on the valve forums are on windows, so I'm hoping they won't overlook optimizing and fixing the FPS drops on the mac version.

Specs: Macbook pro 2012 (non-retina version)

i7-3820QM (2.7 Ghz)
GT 650m 1GB
8GB Ram
dallas_112678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
Yaremko

Quote:
[*]
There is no dynamic player shadows on players
[*]
The game is too dark, dynamic range from HDR is all over the place. The "+gl_nullqueries 1" string for launch options alleviates some of the issue and also some of the stuttering and as said in another thread can cause some issues with lighting, namely, blown out areas like sand
Okay, I'm actually glad this is an issue (since it'll most likely be addressed)... I just thought it was a lot darker and dimmer as a new look. I was playing CSS Office and jumped into CSGO Office and was pretty bummed initially at how bland it looked comparably. Also, I noticed there's a brightness option in the settings, but not a gamma setting... when I asked some people in game if they felt the level was dim they told me to adjust the gamma, is this option on PC and not Mac? Or did they just mean the brightness or the gamma on my monitor?
Yaremko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
Rojo

I'm not getting dynamic shadows. It's not just on player models, there are no dynamic shadows being cast anywhere period. This is on low, medium, or high.

HDR is messed up, the screen is permanently dark. Whenever the camera is refreshed in spectator mode you can see it transition into HDR lighting and ramp down the darkness inappropriately.

Alt tabbing out of the game will delay the player kill notifications. So when I alt tab back in, there are potentially 40 kill messages scrolling down the screen. Maybe it's a feature, which is interesting, but it shouldn't display such a long list.

Everything looks fine in Boot Camp with settings maxed out, must be driver issues.

iMac 11,1
ATI Radeon 4850
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Source games