Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #1
Pandemonyx

Limit resources for overnight use?

I'm on a Windows 7 desktop PC and would like to know if there's any way I can decrease the power that my PC uses so I can run it more efficiently overnight (when I occasionally download a steam game since the Internet is much faster) while I sleep.

Any tips?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Sirtywell

Banned
Modern Pc's already use a very low amount of energy if ideling. Depending on your system, the amount can be lower than 100W if completely on idle. You can reduce it further by shutting down other appliances like you monitors etc... Stopping some services and process's which aren't necessary will further reduce CPU load.
Sirtywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
dosbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonyx View Post
I'm on a Windows 7 desktop PC and would like to know if there's any way I can decrease the power that my PC uses so I can run it more efficiently overnight (when I occasionally download a steam game since the Internet is much faster) while I sleep.

Any tips?
If you don't need the CPU horsepower, set the power plan to "power saver". This limits the maximum CPU speed, and puts the machine to sleep after a specified amount of time (adjust to take into account how long the download will take). Set the power plan back to "Balanced" the next morning.
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
HJP

I'm not sure how much difference those power plans in windows actually make. On my laptop, I don't really notice any difference in battery life by putting it into power saver mode. Turning down the brightness of the screen seems to have a much bigger impact. I think it's just more dependent on what hardware you have, and modern CPUs and GPUs use almost no power when idle.
HJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Pandemonyx

I usually turn off my monitor but I merely lock my pc. Nothing else is open besides steam but I guess some background services might be open (Microsoft Security essentials for example) but I am in high power mode. Thanks for the power saver tip.
Pandemonyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
Xeeber

Make sure that your BIOS is properly set up... SpeedStep and such things.
Xeeber is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems