Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series

Old 08-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Contrax1911

Civ 5 VS Civ 4: Pros and Cons?

I love Civ 5 but I hear that civ 4 is substantially superior to the game, well that is what I hear most of the time, some like civ 3 better than the 2. I never played civ 4 just because I never had the time, but what makes civ 4 better? I am not tryng to bash civ 4 in anyway.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Twelvefield

Civ 4 has more micro-management features enabled than any of the Civ games. This allows you to precisely create the Civ that you want. That's my view in a nutshell.
Twelvefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
ragan651

Well, Civ V has good graphics, a simple interface, a lot of the messy details of the game have been streamlined into easier to understand concepts, like happiness, and the game is based heavily on bonuses rather than weighing the cost and benefit of varying options. Combat is greatly emphasized, expansion is discouraged, and diplomacy is only a means to handle warfare and trade.

In Civ IV, the graphics aren't as good. The interface is not unreasonable, but a few things are badly done (like the main menu). There are a lot of numbers and statistics to keep track of, and you have to monitor every city's situation to effectively play the game. There is no empire-wide happiness, things are handled by the individual cities. Bonuses are less common, instead you are given the opportunity to create a customized government based on various ideas, that force you to trade benefits for other benefits. Combat is an essential part of the game still, however the diplomacy is much more detailed and intelligent, allowing you to forge alliances and treaties to prevent the outbreak of war.

Both are great games, I think Civ IV makes you think a lot deeper though.
ragan651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
jjxtrotter

Personally I like civ iv better. The diplomatic system of civ 5 is far inferior than that of civ 4.
jjxtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
TomKQT

Civ IV in my eyes has too much micromanagement. IMHO they crossed a line with the amount of it, when you are playing with all the datadiscs and are even trying to spread religions and corporations.

There's nothing wrong with having a lot of factors to watch and manage per-city. But the ways of dealing with for example happiness and health in a city are actually exactly the same. You see which one you need to improve and you build an appropriate building. Or wonder. Or tile improvement. And repeat for every single city.

But much more imporant for me is the battle system. There is almost no tactics involved in CivIV, it's quite the bigger army wins, not the better leader wins. In real life there were multiple occasions when a huge army got beaten by few soldiers because of marvelous use of terrain or tactics. You can do this in CivV.
With the system in CivIV (the bigger stack-of-doom wins) battles kinda degrade into "the economicaly strongest civilization wins because it can build more units".
TomKQT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #6
Colbey

Civ4 = More micro management and better diplomacy.

Civ5 = Better Combat and Graphics.

i.e Civ5 is the pretty dumbasses version of Civilisation, if you gave Civ5 civ4's pros, youd have a winner of a game, but alas they decided to "reinvent" the wheel and failed miserably, thought the expansion might fix civ5 but its still boring, played about 8 hours of expansion and haven't touched it since, to boring.
Colbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
TomKQT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbey View Post
its still boring, played about 8 hours of expansion and haven't touched it since, to boring.
That obviously has to be purely subjective as the only game I've been playing since the release of G&K is Civ5, I've played a full game with all but 1 or 2 new civs. (Planing to play with all of course.)
And I already had more than 500 hours of CivV before G&K.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
GrumpyGamerLP

Both games are good. Another bonus of Civ 4 over Civ 5 that no one has pointed out yet is that Civ 5 takes a lot more powerful computer to run it. So if you have a slower laptop or PC then Civ 4 is the better game just by default.
GrumpyGamerLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #9
mr monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbey View Post
Civ5 is the pretty dumbasses version of Civilisation
This is a true statement, OP should ignore this title and pick some something from Paradox if he's interested in real strat titles. I wish I didn't waste my money on this kiddy bull.
mr monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
airmikee99

Civ 5 pared things down from Civ 4, greatly. Civ 4 was a micromanagers wet dream, so many options and details and ways to manipulate things. You could automate most things though, but Civ 4 still gave people the option. War in Civ 4 was hugely different as well, it depended upon stacks of units instead of the one unit per tile in Civ 5.

I played Civ4 right up until the release of Civ5, so I was kinda glad for the streamlined war system, made units mean more and placed more emphasis on strategic placement, rather than just amassing a huge stack and steamrolling through everything. Civ4 most units were completely expendable, just ends up that way when two large stacks duke it out.

Culture in Civ4 was more fun, it was counted by city instead of the whole civilization, and popping a Great Artist in Civ4 would throw out the borders, potentially enveloping another civ's city, and then after some time I could take over the city as my own or burn it. Civ4 also has the nifty Wonders of the World creation animations, which I always liked watching.

I REALLY love Civ5's ocean travel system though, letting each unit just move into the ocean is so much easier and quicker than having to load and unload transport ships.

I still play both games, because they each have their pros and cons. Civ5 looks better and plays quicker, largely because of the streamlined war system, Civ4's wars could drag out forever once you had multiple stacks of units defending and attacking.

My only complaint about the Civilization series is they still haven't brought Alpha Centauri's workshop system to create customized units.
airmikee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
bdd458

I feel the streamlining of Civ V was for the better, the combat is much better. And I feel there was too much micromanagement in Civ IV. Micromanagement is fine, but there is such a thing as too much.
bdd458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Montyleeny15

Imo, Civilization IV enabled me to create the game I wanted, and that was great and all, but nothing was standardised. Civilization V standardised many things and actually improved on many things that were not improved back in Civilization IV. Indeed, Civilization V is somewhat more dynamic. However, the only thing I criticise about the latter game are the weird technology names.
Montyleeny15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #13
Twelvefield

This echoes how I feel: Civ IV was a fine game until you had to load units on ships. At that point, the game complexity made the turns go too long, in industrial era wars or beyond. Civ V's end game goes on too long, but not as long as Civ IV's.

Also has been said, the Paradox games are quite a bit deeper than the Civ games, and more engaging once you get used to them. If only the Paradox games had the ease and flexibility of the Civ games and the Civ games had the depth and flow of the Paradox games.
Twelvefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:39 AM   #14
TomKQT

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmikee99 View Post
Culture in Civ4 was more fun, it was counted by city instead of the whole civilization
Culture in Civ5 is still imporant also per-city, not just the overall value which affects your social policies.
Very similarly to CivIV, also in CivV the amount of culture generated by an individual city affects that particular city's borders. But imho the system in 5 is better because in 4 the borders grew in few steps, it wasn't gradual, there were huge jumps. In 5 you acquire the land tile by tile and you even can buy tiles in you need them.
But yes, there's no culture fighting and you cannot take land of an enemy like you could in 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmikee99 View Post
Civ4 also has the nifty Wonders of the World creation animations, which I always liked watching.
Yea, those animations are a nice thing. For the first and second time. Then it became boring and I don't miss it at all. I quickly close all such windows (research complete, wonder complete etc.).
Old 08-19-2012, 03:06 AM   #15
sbkMulletMan

Two words: "Baba Yetu".

But seriously, 5 simply lacks the human spirit that 4 captured.
sbkMulletMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sid Meier's Civilization series