Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sleeping Dogs

Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Crothgar

Regional Limitations - Languages

Well, I know many people is gonna flame me for this, but I think Valve didn't make things the correct way with this game.

Today I got this game to gift it to a friend, I had to trade it for some other games I had. The gift was NOT tagged with anything concerning region.

When my friend activated the game, it said he had activated Sleeping Dogs Preorder RU. And now, after downloading it, we see the only languages available for him are English and Russian.

I have another Sleeping Dogs in my account and it has all languages to choose. So what I say is WHY Valve limits the languages and the game between regions but DOESN'T tag the gifts, so we can know that it is RU in advance.

I'm really upset with this cause I got this game for my friend as a birthday present, and he CAN'T play to a game like this in other than native language, which is not either English or Russian.

I hope Valve realizes that they did wrong in this matter and fix this ing issue.

Anybody else with the same problem?

Regards.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Eggtooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crothgar View Post
Well, I know many people is gonna flame me for this, but I think Valve didn't make things the correct way with this game.

Today I got this game to gift it to a friend, I had to trade it for some other games I had. The gift was NOT tagged with anything concerning region.

When my friend activated the game, it said he had activated Sleeping Dogs Preorder RU. And now, after downloading it, we see the only languages available for him are English and Russian.

I have another Sleeping Dogs in my account and it has all languages to choose. So what I say is WHY Valve limits the languages and the game between regions but DOESN'T tag the gifts, so we can know that it is RU in advance.

I'm really upset with this cause I got this game for my friend as a birthday present, and he CAN'T play to a game like this in other than native language, which is not either English or Russian.

I hope Valve realizes that they did wrong in this matter and fix this ing issue.

Anybody else with the same problem?

Regards.
I had completely the same. When receiving gift I had NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER which region game belongs to. I knew that my friend live in Russia, and I know him, he bought me the game for birthday (see you did the same to your friend, so happy birthday to him ), and I ended up having RU version... the problem is that no information has been shown when receiving a gift. I submitted a ticket to steam to remove RU verion from my account so I can reedem the EU version which I bought as gift and e-mailed to myself right after noticing I received RU version.
Eggtooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
Crothgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggtooth View Post
I had completely the same. When receiving gift I had NO INFORMATION WHATSOEVER which region game belongs to. I knew that my friend live in Russia, and I know him, he bought me the game for birthday (see you did the same to your friend, so happy birthday to him ), and I ended up having RU version... the problem is that no information has been shown when receiving a gift. I submitted a ticket to steam to remove RU verion from my account so I can reedem the EU version which I bought as gift and e-mailed to myself right after noticing I received RU version.
Yeah, the problem here is that I didn't get it from a known person, it was just a trade with another trustworthy guy (which had Canada as his living country in his profile I think), I gave some other games worth SD and get it in exchange. Me or either my friends are not russian, so we are really dissapointed with this, in special me cause it was for a present.

But I can't tell Valve to remove the game cause then is like I lost 50$ in games, which I won't accept.

I think Valve should remove the tag and let us download the correct game in the correct language.
Crothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Eggtooth

Quote:
Yeah, the problem here is that I didn't get it from a known person, it was just a trade with another trustworthy guy (which had Canada as his living country in his profile I think), I gave some other games worth SD and get it in exchange. Me or either my friends are not russian, so we are really dissapointed with this, in special me cause it was for a present.

But I can't tell Valve to remove the game cause then is like I lost 50$ in games, which I won't accept.

I think Valve should remove the tag and let us download the correct game in the correct language.
Steam says:

"Never accept gifts from unknown sources". That can be really bad. Good thing that I know my friend.

Only removing it is the solution. They can't convert game regions
Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #5
Crothgar

Quote:
Steam says:

"Never accept gifts from unknown sources". That can be really bad. Good thing that I know my friend.

Only removing it is the solution. They can't convert game regions
It is not a unknown source, is a ing steam trader, Valve invented trade system, this is valve's game, so how are we suppose to use it? With my neighbour from the front door? Then I don't need to trade a , just get into his house and use the game ...

And they can do what they want to, as easy as editing a code line xD

Next time: cracking the game is a good solution for a game with no online, mp, or even achievements, I can get a release from the gaming scene and will have same thing ...

Last edited by Crothgar: 08-15-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
kortatu

i have the same problem, when i trade the game no have tag
kortatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Eggtooth

Quote:
It is not a unknown source, is a ing steam trader, Valve invented trade system, this is valve's game, so how are we suppose to use it? With my neighbour from the front door? Then I don't need to trade a , just get into his house and use the game ...

And they can do what they want to, as easy as editing a code line xD

Next time: cracking the game is a good solution for a game with no online, mp, or even achievements, I can get a release from the gaming scene and will have same thing ...
Geez calm down.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Crothgar

Quote:
Geez calm down.
Yeah you're right, sorry, but I hate failing when it comes to gift a present for a really good friend. Valve should have tagged this game as they do with others. Can't understand why they did not this time.

Regards.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
kaxituning

I have exactly the same problem. I got this game from a trade with a very repped guy and it didn't have any RU tag or whatever, and now I see only 2 languages. This is not fair and Steam should fix this for all people involved.

Im very molesto

Zaluos ^^
kaxituning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
celixx

same problem
celixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
mulrich

I was surprised to see the Steam key I bought was for the Russian version, and was a bit concerned. When I saw it also included English, I calmed down. English is my second language, one I'm quite excellent at, if I might say so myself.
mulrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
Hellstrong

Think there's only a Russian/English version and a International version which has all languages, imo they should just offer the international version, whats the use of additional versions that have less languages when you have a version that contains all.
Hellstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #13
13xforever

All the issues are because there wasn't any difference just a day ago. They changed the edition today and added a warning on the game store page. Funny enough, Supported Languages list on the right is still listing all of the European languages INCLUDING Russian.

As far as I'm concerned, this was a ♥♥♥♥ move on the publisher's side. They messed up, but rather than stick to it, they just silently fixed the edition for concerned copies and it sucks. I got different version from what I thought I pre-ordered >:-|

Last edited by 13xforever: 08-17-2012 at 12:46 AM.
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
PaiSand

Guys, get use to it. Everyone trading this high priced games gift the RU version. The only thing you can do is report them.
PaiSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 AM   #15
Crothgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiSand View Post
Guys, get use to it. Everyone trading this high priced games gift the RU version. The only thing you can do is report them.
Actually this is not true, cause I had that problem with the copy for my friend, but I made another fair trade for a copy for me, and mine is ROW, no problem at all with the language.

BTW, I tried logging with my friend's account and seems like the language is linked to the game version, cause I already downloaded it with my language and when I log in with my friend's account, It launches in english, so I guess there are no language files to switch, they must be inside some encrypted files.

Valve should fix this, they did not warn about this, just ed ppl when they activated and one day ago.

Regards.

Last edited by Crothgar: 08-17-2012 at 02:49 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sleeping Dogs