Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sleeping Dogs

Old 08-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
fiascoQQ

Possible solution for shuttering/lag problem

Hey guys just sharing a solution that helped me to make game playable.

Quick step guide:

1. Run the game.
2. Alt+Ctrl+Delete
3. Start task manager
4. Choose processes tab and right click on HKShip.exe
5. Choose Set Affinity.
6. Select only CPU 0 and CPU 1

So fps drops completely gone for me Maybe this will fix game issues for some of you.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
thacleaner76

cool, gonna try that out as soon as im home,
thx for the info
thacleaner76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
sarcasm83

So is this about the weird stuttering/twitching? Micro-stuttering, was it called?

As I don't seem to have any real lag/FPS drop, but every time that it's really sunny and I look around while walking, the view just ... "twitches" and stutters.. Hard to explain really, but it's really distracting.. Kinda like mouselag, even though I'm using a controller and it only happens when it's really sunny :P Everything looks right when I'm standing still looking around.. no lag.. walking, looking ahead.. no stutter.. but looking around right or left, turning the camera while walking... Eeeesh. Almost gives me a headache :P

I guess I'll try this once it happens again.
sarcasm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
thacleaner76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasm83 View Post
So is this about the weird stuttering/twitching? Micro-stuttering, was it called?

As I don't seem to have any real lag, but every time that it's really sunny and I look around while walking, the view just ... "twitches" and stutters.. Hard to explain really, but it's really distracting..

thats exactly the same problem i have - i hope this fixes it...
if not i will try a driver sweep tonight
Old 08-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
fiascoQQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasm83 View Post

As I don't seem to have any real lag/FPS drop, but every time that it's really sunny and I look around while walking, the view just ... "twitches" and stutters.. Hard to explain really, but it's really distracting.. Kinda like mouselag, even though I'm using a controller and it only happens when it's really sunny :P Everything looks right when I'm standing still looking around.. no lag.. walking, looking ahead.. no stutter.. but looking around right or left, turning the camera while walking... Eeeesh. Almost gives me a headache :P

Yeah my problem was simalar tho not exactly indentical. The game would run ok for 20-30 minutes and then the micro shuttering would start. Like consant micro freezes. My guess the game is badly optimized for multi-core CPUs
fiascoQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
BoomSlang

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascoQQ View Post
Yeah my problem was simalar tho not exactly indentical. The game would run ok for 20-30 minutes and then the micro shuttering would start. Like consant micro freezes. My guess the game is badly optimized for multi-core CPUs
That's what I have going on. Seems more common when sunny though. Really distracting if you apply the ridiculous camera shake when driving with that slideshow stutter effect. It's not normal fps lag, I'll say that.
BoomSlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
thacleaner76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomSlang View Post
That's what I have going on. Seems more common when sunny though. Really distracting if you apply the ridiculous camera shake when driving with that slideshow stutter effect. It's not normal fps lag, I'll say that.
ok im home now and this fix:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2887912
solved it for me...

i havent tried yours by now - maybe i try that also to make all the stuttering go away (if it helps)
Old 08-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
BoomSlang

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacleaner76 View Post
ok im home now and this fix:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2887912
solved it for me...

i havent tried yours by now - maybe i try that also to make all the stuttering go away (if it helps)
I used this earlier today because I also couldn't stand the horrendous screen tearing when I wasn't actually having huge fps drops. It got rid of that and made the game smoother for sure, but it isn't 100% fixed just yet. I used Inspector instead of the control panel though.
BoomSlang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
john129pats

The thing I'm afraid is performance. I have 8 cores, but will only using 2 affect my performance. I doubt the game uses all 8, but even going from 4 to 2. Will that change my frame rate?
john129pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
em_t_hed

Are you saying this game was optimized for a dual core computer? And no option for hyper threading?
em_t_hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
thacleaner76

ok, confirmed working!

while redorblue89 fix helps the problem, this fix removes it completely!

(i have the feeling i get slower framerates afer removing both cores, could be wrong tough but its nothing compared to that stupid lag solved at last!!)

edit: sorry after going more into detail on this, this fix here didnt help - it was the nvidia control panel one it seems

Last edited by thacleaner76: 08-19-2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
john129pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by em_t_hed View Post
Are you saying this game was optimized for a dual core computer? And no option for hyper threading?
Most games on the market don't take advantage of hyper threading, iirc.
john129pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
Ravenlock

Still getting the weird jittery behavior while driving even after this fix. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Will keep hoping for more solid fixes.
Ravenlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #14
Solid Sawyer

What fixes stuttering for me is running the game in windowed mode. This also fixes stuttering in Darksiders 1 and 2. These are the only 3 games I've experienced this kind of stuttering in, all solved by windowed mode. I don't understand it but whatever.
Solid Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
DUST2DEATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
Still getting the weird jittery behavior while driving even after this fix. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Will keep hoping for more solid fixes.
the Jittering while driving is the stupid high speed camera shake.

Its not lag, its not microstutter, its a freaking feature that needs to be disabled.
DUST2DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sleeping Dogs