Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 08-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
tehx02

Been trying to fix my TF2 Performance for years. Rewards for whoever can help!

(xPost from reddit if anyone wants to help over there: http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments...rformance_for/)

First things first, I've logged over 500 hours in TF2, and I've been using the same machine for 3+ years now. I love the game and have been playing for ages. I've been working at this problem, at least, for the last year without any real improvement. Maybe someone here on Reddit can help me out big time.

If anyone can help me out, I'll throw a couple bucks on steam wallet or some items or a gift your way.

Anywho. My current system setup is as follows: 2.53 GHz Intel Core2Duo ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4650 (I believe it's a 512MB Card) 4GB RAM 500 GB Hard Drive (with ~100 GB Free) Windows 7 64x, full updates

I've used all of Chris's FPS configs, I've tried More's Configs, and I've used the config that turns TF2 into an N64-era game, but I still get MASSIVE fps fluctuations, from 130 down to 20 sometimes while playing. I cannot for the life of me stabilize it, and it really gets to me sometimes. I can run all other source engine games (Portal 1/2, L4D 1/2, HL2 + Eps 1/2, CS:S, CS:GO) with no problems like this. I only play in 24 man servers (or less), I've reinstalled TF2 many times, and recently within the past few weeks when I did a full system wipe and reinstall.
But while playing a game, the FPS will start around 120 in spawn, drop to 80 outdoors, and once other players get on screen it's a crapshoot. Sometimes it stays well at 60-70, but sometimes it'll drop down to 20s (usually during a firefight). Now normally I'd just reduce settings until it's okay--but nothing changes. I'm currently using Chris's Highframes config, which still has drops in the 20-30 FPS range. I've used the N64 config, and still had that problem. All of them increase the max frames I get, but they all have the same drops.

I've also tried maxing all settings, and while it stabilizes things a bit (keeps it closer to 50 frames most of the time), I'll get drops down to the 15-16 when the screen gets really active.

What kills me the most is that it didn't use to be like this. Up until a 1-1.5 years ago, it was fine. I ran at med/high mixed settings without any problems. And I've never been able to get back to that level of performance regardless of settings. Even worse is that I set up a friends laptop to play Tf2 using Chris's Maxframes (he plays on an i3 with an IGP) and it ran perfectly at ~ 60 frames for him the whole time.

So, this is my problem. If anyone can help out, I would be grateful beyond words. My steam account is Upstairs/Downstairs if anyone wants to shoot me a message there.\

EDIT
SOLUTION (OR BEST FIX I'VE FOUND): As suggested by cloudbreath9 (in the Reddit thread), Quantum's Little Config made a world of difference. Still getting drops with heavy action on screen, but the most it's gone down to is 45 in an MvM server, which is a huge improvement from the 20s I'd get. Everything else I've played keeps damn close to 60 the whole time, tested it out on some heavy condensed-action servers (Koth, the choke points on Dustbowl) with nice results.

Last edited by tehx02: 08-20-2012 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Solution Found
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
DekuJuice

Try opening your computer and check the fans.

Dust getting in the parts can cause performance issues.
DekuJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
steelfirez

What DekuJuice said could be part of it. Do you know whether your FPS drop was related to an update? TF2 has slowly been becoming more CPU intensive since the day it was released. Also, is the 20 fps smooth(as in a constant 20 frames), or is it kind of stuttering?
steelfirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
tehx02

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekuJuice View Post
Try opening your computer and check the fans.

Dust getting in the parts can cause performance issues.
I do clean it out pretty regularly, and I reseated the CPU with a better thermal paste about 7-8 months ago. The temps stay reasonable (for a laptop) while I play. I usually hit ~75C on the GPU and 60C on the CPU when maxing out.
tehx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
tehx02

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfirez View Post
What DekuJuice said could be part of it. Do you know whether your FPS drop was related to an update? TF2 has slowly been becoming more CPU intensive since the day it was released. Also, is the 20 fps smooth(as in a constant 20 frames), or is it kind of stuttering?
I couldn't pinpoint it exactly unfortunately, as it was well over a year ago when this problem first began. And the 20 FPS is very jittery, it'll jump between 20 and 60 sometimes. It never drops to 20 and sticks around there for a while
Old 08-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Mr_Noname

Banned
Try uninstalling unneeded programs and then defragmenting your hard drive. That might help some.

Also clean out your physical computer. After a year of no cleaning, it can look nasty.

If you have done these things, please forgive me, you never mentioned them so I'm just suggesting them.
Mr_Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Angon

I guess you've been updating your drivers?
Angon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
tehx02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Noname View Post
Try uninstalling unneeded programs and then defragmenting your hard drive. That might help some.

Also clean out your physical computer. After a year of no cleaning, it can look nasty.

If you have done these things, please forgive me, you never mentioned them so I'm just suggesting them.
I'm working on a fresh format and reinstall (< 1 month old) of my system right now, so I'm pretty good with things being uncluttered and non-fragmented.

Some others have suggested cleaning it out, and I'm just digging around for a screwdriver right now. I'm pretty confident that it's not bad, but I'm going to check anyhow!

And thanks for helping out! Anything is appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angon View Post
I guess you've been updating your drivers?
Yep. Latest Catalyst drivers installed. Also tried playing with older drivers to see if it made a difference
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #9
iPawd69

-dxlevel 81, Removed particles, and unlit players? Unlit players boosted my FPS by a lot, there is glitch with the spy, though.
iPawd69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
iPawd69

forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904127
Scroll down to install gentoo's post which has the unlit players and particle remover.
iPawd69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
BabiesPls

I really don't want to be "that one guy", but maybe buy some new parts for your computer?

Trust me, I've tried fixing my old computer to get stable FPS too, but it just wouldn't do it.

I built a new computer from scratch and scavenged a few parts from my old one. It wasn't too expensive either, as long as you know what you're buying. I get around 100-200 stable FPS per game, even in 32 man servers.

------------------------------------------------

But if you really don't want to do all that work, you can try downloading the phongless TF2 pack on Gamebanana, I believe. It makes it so your game is less "shiny" and more focused of stabilizing.
BabiesPls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
duckmanneo

I usually have this fluctuating fps problem with games when I use custom configs or alter the game. To undo the problem I usually put the game into default. Delete custom cfg. Disable all firewalls. Maybe you have a virus/malware scanner that is actively scanning and slowing down your computer. Defragment lately? Clustered temp files? Overclocking?
duckmanneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #13
bukkit

nothing can fix it since it's a poorly made game with focus on 10k+ poly hots with no lod.
bukkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
DekuJuice

Try gamebooster.

You said you had every update for window's 7, so theres bound to be some processes that take up resources.

Gamebooster disables processes that aren't necessary for gaming, and then enables them when you finish.

Only problem is that it doesn't work on some games, it gave me a FPS drop on SMNC, so this may or may not work.
DekuJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #15
duckmanneo

Game booster seems like it would do nothing significant. Unless you really are lacking memory.
duckmanneo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2