Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darksiders II: Death Lives

Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
GuardianP93

Do I need to play darksiders 1?

^this^

I hear that while darksiders one it an action game 2 is more RPGish, honestly this appeals to me so much more...

I'm more then happy to play through one but at the same time it gets a bit boring playing through an entire game just to get to a different one in the story (started with AC, got to 2 before losing interest)
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
TheDarkChaplain

Play the first, yes. It is regularly on sale for about 5 bucks, so you'd be kind of a fool to not pick it up when you get the chance.

You'd be missing out on a lot if you didn't play the first one; more complex puzzles and a different fighting style are just one side of it. The story in Darksiders is simply the beginning;

You're supposed to undo War's mistakes in Darksiders II, yet you haven't seen those mistakes being made, don't know who you're supposed to save, and don't really have any connection to the actual Apocalypse-incident itself.

Play the first one as well, you'll be glad you did
TheDarkChaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
apotle41

I played the first one for a short time(didnt get very far), but didn't find it as fun as the second, but I can still follow the story pretty well. If you are just interested in the story itself, you can always youtube the first game.
apotle41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
NikSha

Play the first one. It was a better PC port as well.

Even Darksiders 1 is more RPGish than games like God of War.
NikSha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
DyvimTvar

I'd very much advise you to play through Darksiders 1.
Having said that, no, you do not NEED to. Darksiders 2's story relates to part one, but it is essentially self-contained.
IMO D2 is so far better, prettier and more large scale than D1, but D1 was already a damn fine game.
DyvimTvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
Nose Nuggets

You don't need to for story or anything, they do a reasonable recap and you can watch "darksiders in x minutes" story recaps you youtube.

but you absolutely SHOULD play darksiders 1 because its a pretty sweet game. and for the price, its good value. its a long game. and the gradual introduction of weapons/tools and items keeps the game interesting.
Nose Nuggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
GuardianP93

thank you all! reps for everyone.

I probably could have saved you guys a lot of time, all I wanted to know was if the story for 2 carried on from where 1 left off, clearly it does... so I'll be sure to get 1 first.

Thanks again guys.
GuardianP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
ashishrane4740

Thanks guys. I just now ordered Darksiders 1. I will play that first before 2 to understand the game better storywise.
ashishrane4740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:53 AM   #9
Bulletooth

Yes, do play DS1.
You won't get too lost in the story if you skip the original, but it does a great job of setting up the game's universe.

And I genuinely liked DS1 better. All DS2 did in terms of 'RPG elements' is a Diablo-like loot system and semi-open world with quests. Still a great game though
Bulletooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Darksiders II: Death Lives