Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Old 08-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
c02

casual vs competitive

I get a wayyyy better score competitive classic versus casual classic. Anyone else?

Part of me wonders if this is due to the lack of prefiring and random spraying in competitive.

First time I ever earned 7 stars was tonight in competitive.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Krovvy

Someone give this guy a ESEA premium code and see how he does after a week.
Krovvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
c02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovvy View Post
Someone give this guy a ESEA premium code and see how does after a week.
What does that have to do with my question? No where did I mention I'm ready to "pwn pros" so get out of here with that sludge ....
c02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
helix

Quote:
Originally Posted by c02 View Post
I get a wayyyy better score competitive classic versus casual classic. Anyone else?

Part of me wonders if this is due to the lack of prefiring and random spraying in competitive.

First time I ever earned 7 stars was tonight in competitive.
Maybe your playing with newer players who don't know to buy armor.
helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
shamoke

Probably because newbies saw "competitive" and thought hey i should join this so i can get better.
shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Krovvy

Quote:
What does that have to do with my question? No where did I mention I'm ready to "pwn pros" so get out of here with that sludge ....
I'm trying to give you perspective of an actual competitive environment. I don't think the competitive mode in Global Offensive emulates it very well.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
c02

Quote:
I'm trying to give you perspective of an actual competitive enviroment. I don't think the competitive mode in Global Offensive emulates it very well.
Ah. Well my intention wasn't to think I'm good as I would surely get my butt handed to me by ... well... lots of people.

I just find it odd that I do better in competitive. Could this be in part because of the matchmaking?
Old 08-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #8
shamoke

There's no elo-based matchmaking yet so you're getting matched with random players of all skill levels. Since newbies greatly outnumber the number of decent players, chances are you're going to be playing with bad players.

Why it's easier on competitive than casual? Probably because it's more newbie-friendly on causal than competitive. If you have a clueless newbie joining competitive, he's going to get destroyed.

In casual mode, you start with armor and get lots of money for even losing a round. In competitive, you don't get armor and get little money when losing a round. A bunch of newbies losing a round on competitive means they're going to rely on their weak weapons (buying out every round) and not buying armor, which makes them easy to kill targets.

Last edited by shamoke: 08-21-2012 at 06:26 PM.
shamoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Krovvy

Quote:
Ah. Well my intention wasn't to think I'm good as I would surely get my butt handed to me by ... well... lots of people.

I just find it odd that I do better in competitive. Could this be in part because of the matchmaking?
Well that's kind of what I'm getting at. Right now the system isn't working very well as players aren't being matched accordingly. Even so if you're looking to get better quickly the best way is to play with better players, and ESEA is basically just a concentration of very competitive players. You'll need pretty thick skin though.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
c02

I assume in order to play with ESEA members you must be premium, thus paying some kind of fee?

Might try it sometime just to laugh at myself. lol
Old 08-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Krovvy

Quote:
I assume in order to play with ESEA members you must be premium, thus paying some kind of fee?

Might try it sometime just to laugh at myself. lol
Yes, but many players have free codes that can be used by others giving you premium for a week or month. It's not for everyone, and I'd recommend trying it with a free code first if possible.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #12
c02

Quote:
Yes, but many players have free codes that can be used by others giving you premium for a week or month. It's not for everyone, and I'd recommend trying it with a free code first if possible.
Thanks for the info ...

Perhaps in the near future I'll see if I can't reach someone who has one and try it. Doesn't hurt to try, even it it makes you cry.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
Blood Eagle

Banned
I might do better in classic over casual if all the nubs would not TK me trying to kill people I am shooting through my back
Blood Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive