Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box

Old 08-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
Zx2963

The Orange Box 360?

I've recently bought the Orange Box for the Xbox because TF2 was on it. While playing I wondered why Valve has updated it? Will Valve ever update the Xbox 260 version? It seems like a huge waste not too.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
Master Tricks

Valve can't update it because they don't want to charge players for the Update, and Microsoft has to have it charged.

Also, memory space, but I think that was debunked last thread about this.
Master Tricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
Rammite

Sorry, guy. Microsoft demands that basically all content DLC must have a price tag, so Microsoft can take some of it.

Valve is 100% against paid Gameplay DLC, and Microsoft is 100% against not-making-money.
Rammite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
PaNfOoT

At this point it would be more worthwile to just release a new version of it for XBLA. I don't even remember the 360 version getting glitches fixed let alone new content. (I played 360 version back when it came out, didn't take to longer before it was filled with people glitching under the maps)
PaNfOoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Rynjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammite View Post
Valve is 100% against paid Gameplay DLC, and Microsoft is 100% against not-making-money.
My question is, why is Valve against making money in THIS case, and not to slapping a pricetag on everything that moves here on PC?

I think they just like putting prices on things because they like the numbers.
Rynjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Taxicab1729

Valve has never updated the console version of TF2 because of Microsoft and Sony's policies against free DLC. The fact that it shares a disc with four other games might be a factor too.

There have been a few people wanting Valve to re-release TF2 for the PS3 (or even the Wii U), and while that'd be nice, TF2 is...what, 11 GB now? I don't think any console could handle it. Maybe if they got rid of all the cosmetic crap it could fit, but I'm not sure.
Taxicab1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Rammite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
My question is, why is Valve against making money in THIS case, and not to slapping a pricetag on everything that moves here on PC?

I think they just like putting prices on things because they like the numbers.
I think they WANT to slap price tags on everything, but they also don't want to go against thier word on the whole "No paid gameplay DLC" thing they said years ago.

Probably to keep up public image and stuff.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Zx2963

Why can't Valve make this huge update, at a incredible low price (100 Microsoft Points. That'd be a much better compromise, + remove all the hats and $hit, just add weps and maps, and TF2 will be more like 7 gigabytes.
Zx2963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
CarlZalph

Quote:
I think they WANT to slap price tags on everything, but they also don't want to go against thier word on the whole "No paid gameplay DLC" thing they said years ago.

I'd have to assume Valve works with contractors a lot.

The OS X port of Steam and TF2 came and went, and we're now without much support over there.
I believe we've recently got a few more on working, but the amount of people isn't high.

Which leaves me to the conclusion that the same thing happened for the 360, but much worse.
CarlZalph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Rammite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zx2963 View Post
huge update, at a incredible low price
Right, like Micro$oft would let them get away with that.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Zx2963

Quote:
Right, like Micro$oft would let them get away with that.
Microsoft wants money, I don;t think they'll be stupid enough to be the gas guzzler
Old 08-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Mincegamer

Sigh, not this again. Well I have some time now and the thread was moved before it got too long. So let's do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Tricks View Post
Valve can't update it because they don't want to charge players for the Update, and Microsoft has to have it charged.

Also, memory space, but I think that was debunked last thread about this.
Yes, Valve did say they didn't want to make gamers pay for the updates. However, at this point they were apparently oblivious to the point that many console gamers did not care about paying for DLC, as they've done with many other games. By not allowing gamers to pay for DLC packs containing new maps and possibly new weapons, they alienated a large portion of their playerbase and heavily disappointed thousands of their fans, some of which have not bought any later Valve games to date due to the disappointment.

*The "thousands" estimate comes from the DLCs for L4D1 and L4D2, most of which have five to ten thousand ratings on the Xbox Live marketplace. It can be assumed that at least that many people would have downloaded those DLCs, and it could be assume that a similar number of customers would have been there for TF2 had Valve similarly released DLCs for it.

Quote:
Sorry, guy. Microsoft demands that basically all content DLC must have a price tag, so Microsoft can take some of it.

I would not recommend writing such a bold and encompassing statement about something you clearly have no knowledge about. Numerous games have free DLCs on Xbox Live; in fact the first DLC for any game is most often free. Left 4 Dead and Portal 2 both have one free DLC. Red Dead Redemption has three free DLCs.

To say that Team Fortress 2 couldn't have had a small free DLC is simply wrong. Obviously Valve couldn't have released all of the class updates and maps for free, but that is NOT what you said, as you said "all content DLC must have a price tag" on it which is totally incorrect.

And you are also incorrect in saying that Valve is 100% against paid DLC: they have had no problem releasing paid DLCs for L4D1 and L4D2 on Xbox. They released four different paid DLCs for those games, in fact, and I personally (as well as a lot of my friends) bought all of them due to my love for the L4D games. I would have proudly spent money on TF2, seeing as I love it as well, so please don't act like spending money on DLC for a game you love is instantly some horrible, unimaginable and never to be seen thing when in fact Valve later showed that they are capable of doing it.

And also don't forget the store for TF2, as well as the Mann-up servers that you have to pay to access. Again, please do your research next time before making such bold statements that can be easily debunked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaNfOoT View Post
At this point it would be more worthwile to just release a new version of it for XBLA. I don't even remember the 360 version getting glitches fixed let alone new content. (I played 360 version back when it came out, didn't take to longer before it was filled with people glitching under the maps)
I do wish Valve would do something like this. I've been hoping that they've secretly been working on a new version of TF2 containing all of the official new maps and at least the first class update weapons, but it seems more unlikely with every passing year.

The 360 version did receive some patches to fix bugs and glitches, but many of the major ones remained- such as shooting through the gates in setup time, or building sentries under the map as you mentioned. It was inexcusable of Valve to leave these kinds of things in. There might be some developers who don't fix game breaking glitches, but Valve is a developer that has been known for supporting their games. For them to not have even fixed game breaking glitches (not nit picks about graphics or anything) in TF2, whereas they did in their later games (L4D1 and L4D2 received many major patches on Xbox 360), it really sends a negative message to their console fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxicab1729 View Post
Valve has never updated the console version of TF2 because of Microsoft and Sony's policies against free DLC. The fact that it shares a disc with four other games might be a factor too.

There have been a few people wanting Valve to re-release TF2 for the PS3 (or even the Wii U), and while that'd be nice, TF2 is...what, 11 GB now? I don't think any console could handle it. Maybe if they got rid of all the cosmetic crap it could fit, but I'm not sure.
As I've explained earlier, neither Microsoft nor Sony have a policy preventing free DLC. It is impossible to say that they have policies against free DLC when in fact many games on PS3 and Xbox 360 do receive free DLCs. It may be more accurate to say that most DLCs for PS3 and Xbox 360 require a price tag. However, as I've explained before, it seems silly to state the notion that fans of TF2 on consoles would not want to pay for updates. Some might not want to, but those of us who have spent hours, days, weeks, months, and years playing TF2 would happily do so. We fans who reply to every topic like this about an update, who follow every Valve game on Xbox, who follow all news sources about possible updates to our beloved Valve games, who spend a great portion of their free time playing Valve games and posting on forums about Valve games, would pay for updates to TF2. I do not want to sound like I'm speaking for the entire TF2 Xbox demographic, but you can be assured that many of the dedicated TF2 fans would confirm that they would pay for updates.

In addition, proposing the idea that Valve is incapable of optimizing and porting a reasonable amount of content to their console games and releasing at a reasonable price is incorrect, as they have done so for L4D2. In fact, saying such a thing is actually insulting to the TF2 team, because you are implying that they are less capable of releasing DLC for consoles than the L4D team, seeing as said team is a much smaller team that worked directly with a much smaller demographic when releasing DLCs for the L4D Xbox players.

edit- I apologize for somehow missing your second paragraph. Console games are not necessarily the same size as their PC counterparts. They often use lower resolution textures and lower quality audio files that take up less space. They also do not feature some components of the PC release that would take up more storage space or be more taxing on the hardware, such as in-game video recorders or development kits. The amount of space left on the base disc is irrelevant, as title updates and DLCs are downloaded to hard drives or flash memory, not the disc.

It is also very unlikely that Valve would try to re-release TF2 in an updated state with the rest of the Orange Box games. In the event that they re-released the game, it would probably be its own separate retail disc, or a download on Xbox Live or PSN. It seems unlikely that TF2 alone would fill up a single Xbox DVD, but in the event that it did, they could just release it on more than one DVD, or release it exclusively on high capacity Blu-ray or Wii U Optical Discs for the PS3 and Wii U.

How much space the updated game would take would depend on what said updated game included. It is unlikely that a "fully" updated version could ever be released, which would include every map and weapon from the PC version (it is also unlikely that any form of hat or cosmetic would ever be seen on a console release). I understand that the RAM of the Xbox 360 is indeed limiting, and it would probably be impossible to have every single new weapon from the PC version added and fully functioning on the Xbox 360. However, it may be possible for them to bring the initial class updates to the Xbox 360, or even one or two new weapons from each slot.

As for maps, I see nothing stopping them hardware wise from porting all of the maps over. If they optimized each map, and added the proper elements that would allow the new game types to work (like the carts and bombs), each of the maps could theoretically work. Maps are loaded up individually, so there shouldn't be any problem with having all the new maps added. However, there would probably be issues with Valve releasing free community-made maps as part of a paid DLC. Therefor, we would probably only receive maps created by Valve. This would limit our selection, but we would still receive many of the popular maps, as well as many that are played commonly in competitive leagues.

So overall, I don't think that an updated version of TF2 for the consoles would exceed size limits or be too taxing for the hardware.

Quote:

I've already addressed the issue with Valve charging for content, so I'll skip to your last sentence. Valve publicly stating that they would bring major class updates to the Xbox 360, and completely failing to bring any form of new content afterwards, should NOT be considered keeping up a good public image.

I think that's all the big arguments. At least we didn't get any "console players go play with their console toys in the console forum" or "Xboxers don't deserve DLCs" this time.

Last edited by Mincegamer: 08-23-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Didn't respond properly to some posts.
Mincegamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
Rynjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincegamer View Post
I would not recommend writing such a bold and encompassing statement about something you clearly have no knowledge about. Numerous games have free DLCs on Xbox Live; in fact the first DLC for any game is most often free. Left 4 Dead and Portal 2 both have one free DLC. Red Dead Redemption has three free DLCs.
Just gonna hit this spot here:

Pretty sure the first L4D DLC was $10 when it first came out. They often "free-ify" DLC for older games on XBLM. I KNOW the L4D2 DLC was $10, because I ended up paying for that one.

I think Valve made some kind of special deal with Microsoft for Portal 2.

And the only RDR free DLC I remember is the one that adds like one extra skin or summat. Zombies, the one that give a BUNCH of extra skins, and the one that gives the Tomahawk were all paid for.
Rynjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #14
Zx2963

I'd happily pay $5 for a dlc for MvM
Who here agree's?
and the Pyro's Airblast...
Old 08-25-2012, 05:03 AM   #15
Enigmantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zx2963 View Post
I'd happily pay $5 for a dlc for MvM
Who here agree's?
and the Pyro's Airblast...
I agree but it's never going to happen.
Enigmantic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box