Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Souls

Old 08-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
statistx

Fix for random FPS drops with ATI card? (now with possible fix)

So what I gathered here, it seems that mostly ATI users report random FPS drops.
I started up FRAPS to see how my FPS run and it constantly jumps from a steady 30 to random moments of 15.

I don't want any people saying "Get a new computer", cause it works fine with other new and current games with more current graphic technology behind it.
Also i don't need any "This game sucks", "This game works fine" and similar.

What I want to see in this thread please is:

Any idea on Catalyst settings to fix that?
I know where to fiddle around with my VSYNC force setting, but besides that I have no clue what could possibly help.

Thanks.

Last edited by statistx: 08-23-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
bassjason

I had the same problem on my HD 6870 constantly dropping to 15 fps. I installed the resolution fix and not only does it look better but now I'm getting constant 30 fps..

If you try that just know that messages on the ground don't display at the moment but hopefully that will be fixed tomorrow.
bassjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #3
Colk71

Same problem here with 6970, gonna try the resolution fix and report back, thanks bassjason
Colk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
statistx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjason View Post
I had the same problem on my HD 6870 constantly dropping to 15 fps. I installed the resolution fix and not only does it look better but now I'm getting constant 30 fps..
Thanks, but i tried that too earlier and the only thing it does is, that it seemingly (could be just hopeful thinking too) lower the amount of random drops, but doesn't fix it overall.
statistx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
koolaidlips

Quote:
Originally Posted by statistx View Post
Thanks, but i tried that too earlier and the only thing it does is, that it seemingly (could be just hopeful thinking too) lower the amount of random drops, but doesn't fix it overall.
Me too, I hope they release more graphic options
koolaidlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Ohai101

A certain part of the game drops in fps on any card.
It even did it on xbox version of the game.

I forget the name of the place I am sure someone can remind me here
Ohai101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
bassjason

Quote:
Originally Posted by statistx View Post
Did you disable AA in the in-game options?
bassjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
statistx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohai101 View Post
A certain part of the game drops in fps on any card.
It even did it on xbox version of the game.

I forget the name of the place I am sure someone can remind me here
Anor Londo or how it's called and/or The Blight (that underground poison swamp place), but I'm talking even about the starting area
Old 08-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Ohai101

Well from what I can tell by all these threads this game is a huge disappointment and I am most likely going to stay away from it.
Ohai101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
statistx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjason View Post
Did you disable AA in the in-game options?
Tried both on and off, same with blur and different resolution. Nothing changes.
Those random drops are not even in areas where bad PC performance could be blamed, cause they just happen anywhere. If it was when some effects happen, or a lot of enemies show up on the screen, i would say some settings are ed, but aside from the fact that other games run fine on my system, those drops are just totally random.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
EXvillain

if you have dual GPU card, disable xfire, SLI.
EXvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Drewie29

I played the PS3 version for around 6hrs after loving the crap out of demons souls - the FPS drops were frequent and very anti-immersive so I pulled the plug and sat on it for this PC release.

Downloading atm with 4 mins to go - after reading this thread am thinking eek have they ported the FPS to decent rigs too. Sure hope not...
Drewie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #13
statistx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewie29 View Post
I played the PS3 version for around 6hrs after loving the crap out of demons souls - the FPS drops were frequent and very anti-immersive so I pulled the plug and sat on it for this PC release.

Downloading atm with 4 mins to go - after reading this thread am thinking eek have they ported the FPS to decent rigs too. Sure hope not...
Funny thing is: I NEVER had any FPS issues (or at least didn't realize them) when i played this game on PS3 and I was even about 2/3 through.

Quote:
if you have dual GPU card, disable xfire, SLI.
Don't have one, but thanks, may help others who have.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
looterkfm

I run xFire'd 6870s, zero frame rate drop once I left the newbie starting cells.

I first tried disabling all the catalyst features, no change. I set xfire to render in AFR mode and disabled Steam overlay. Helped. I've since turned on all the catalyst features to seriously high levels. My framerate stays at 30 pretty consistently.

Game is seriously shiny.
looterkfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
statistx

Quote:
Originally Posted by looterkfm View Post
I run xFire'd 6870s, zero frame rate drop once I left the newbie starting cells.

I first tried disabling all the catalyst features, no change. I set xfire to render in AFR mode and disabled Steam overlay. Helped. I've since turned on all the catalyst features to seriously high levels. My framerate stays at 30 pretty consistently.

Game is seriously shiny.
Hmm, i don't really know many functions of the settings in my catalyst control center, but I guess I'll set up a profile where i turn everything except vsync to the max slider settings and see what happens

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Souls