Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sleeping Dogs

Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
markieeai

Sleeping Dogs, Freezes, Crashed and BSOD Possible Fix

Hello. (TL;DR at the bottom)

I think I have narrowed down the causes of what most people are having issues with.

For me it started small, the game would get stuck in the Loading Screen, I could constantly hear the background audio, see the logo spinning. But nothing would happen.

Forcing me to CTRL ALT TAB out of the game. I could play perfectly for 2 hours and then the loading screen would freeze.
Then it would just shut itself down. Simply put, it would crash. Like I had clicked QUIT.

Just like that, poof game shut down. And sometimes I got the "HKShip.exe has stopped working" message. Again I could play for around 2hours before this happened.
It got aggravating, and then it happened on one particular spot, at that point in the game it would CONSTANTLY close itself down for no reason. And later on it wouldn't even go 10-15 minutes before the came shut itself down, or completely froze, "HKShip.exe is not responding"

And then, it just got worse my friends. I started getting Blue Screens after 15-30minutes in. It seemed like the issues just got worse and worse the further in the game I progressed. Textures started looking weird, all black, purple, green and everything. Now I didn't even get the shut down after 15 mins. Nope now I got Blue Screens after 15 minutes.

So after narrowing it down, it was not my Hard-drive that was acting up. I did validate files, removed the .exe and validated. My memory was not faulty, my computer got plenty of power. Nothing had been installed faulty, nor was any of the hardware faulty.

So with nothing to lose, I decided... Most people (those threads and posts I read) They all had decent gaming rigs that would handle this game without any issues, and they were also running the HD Texture Pack.

Yup see the connection there? So I decided, lets deactivate the HD-Texture pack.

And what do you know! IT WORKED! I have now played for 5hours (To be fair 1-2 hours was in the menu screen while I was AFK) But the game has been running for 5 hours. No issues, Not a single loading screen freeze after a cut-scene or about to initiate one. Not a single Close to Desktop or Blue Screen of Death.

And to further prove my theory, mostly proving it to myself. That the HD-Texture pack was the villain, I decided to turn it back on and play for a while. And what do you know after 15minutes of playing, yup... Another Blue Screen.

So I have reason to believe that there is something wrong with the HD-Texture pack, so until Square Enix fixes that. You should all play without it. I will post comparison pictures with HD Texture off and on, there is not a big difference at all!

Quote:
UPDATE #1: It appears that XdyeXD is correct. At least for nVidia users. It appears that something in Sleeping Dogs corrupts DX11 and/or your Graphic Card drivers. Which one these are I cannot say for certain. The HD-Texture pack MAY be a reason for these issues for some, or it may not.

But disabling the texture pack seem to have slowed it down from crashing more frequent. However I have started getting BSOD in Battlefield 3 and CS:GO which I never got prior to installing Sleeping Dogs.

However I'm not sure of this, but I will reinstall drivers and report back. I would recommend deactivating the HD-Texture pack either way. I still believe it could be a part in causing this. So, read what I posted previous to this update
Quote:
UPDATE #2: After reinstalling DX11 and my nVidia drivers, I am still getting a Blue Screen. And this is not even in Sleeping Dogs. I have uninstalled and deleted any remaining files from Sleeping Dogs.

If this is just a coincidence, that maybe some of my hardware is malfunctioning at the same time as I bought Sleeping Dogs. I do not know. However, even after uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and removing Sleeping Dogs. I got another Blue Screen in CS:GO I will post the information below.

Quote:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF9600012375E
BCP3: FFFFF880045989C0
BCP4: 0000000000000000

TL;DR - Turn off HD-Texture Pack in the Options. That was causing you to get Blue Screens, Game shut down and Loading Screen of Death

Comparison Pictures:
HD Textures On - http://twitpic.com/andd7e/full

HD Textures Off - http://twitpic.com/anddp5/full

HD Textures On 2 - http://twitpic.com/ande07/full

HD Textures Off 2 - http://twitpic.com/ande8r/full

HD Textures On 3 - http://twitpic.com/andeht/full

HD Textures Off 3 - http://twitpic.com/andepm/full

Last edited by markieeai: 08-25-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
sanjin84

So all you do is turn it off in options menu, you don't need to delete any files or anything??

I will try this now and will report back, thanks for the tip.

UPDATE:

Well i managed to play for few hours(before i couldn't play for more than 1-min) and right before i quit it crashed....so idk. Its better then before id say....

Last edited by sanjin84: 08-25-2012 at 12:19 AM.
sanjin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
markieeai

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjin84 View Post
So all you do is turn it off in options menu, you don't need to delete any files or anything??

I will try this now and will report back, thanks for the tip.

UPDATE:

Well i managed to play for few hours(before i couldn't play for more than 1-min) and right before i quit it crashed....so idk. Its better then before id say....

All I did was turn it off in the Menu, yes.

Sad to hear you are still having the issues :/ It worked for me. I hope Square Enix release a new patch soon to fix this issue. It is really annoying

EDIT: I will keep looking into this. Perhaps there is another possible fix to keep the game from crashing. I will look into it to find other possible ways from keep this from happening!

Last edited by markieeai: 08-25-2012 at 12:28 AM.
markieeai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #4
Armaron

Did not work for me. Turning off HD texture pack did nothing to get rid of the crashes. Once I starting playing the game with the pack off it crashed in about 10 seconds of leaving the apartment and jumping on my bike and heading halfway out of the driveway back to desktop with the game's sounds still running. I also have Ghost Recon which also is completely unplayable due to the constant crashes.

One other fix I've read about many times before with similar problems on other games is to underclock your Video card's GPU using a program called Nvidia Inspector. I own a Nvidia 580GTX. You might want to try that. I haven't tried that since I'm not confident enough to mess around with my video card's clock speeds.
Armaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
markieeai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaron View Post
Did not work for me. Turning off HD texture pack did nothing to get rid of the crashes. Once I starting playing the game with the pack off it crashed in about 10 seconds of leaving the apartment and jumping on my bike and heading halfway out of the driveway back to desktop with the game's sounds still running. I also have Ghost Recon which also is completely unplayable due to the constant crashes.

One other fix I've read about many times before with similar problems on other games is to underclock your Video card's GPU using a program called Nvidia Inspector. I own a Nvidia 580GTX. You might want to try that. I haven't tried that since I'm not confident enough to mess around with my video card's clock speeds.
Hmm, I don't want to mess around with over or under-clocking. Those are things I shouldn't need to do, to play a game. But as with you, I don't want to mess with that. I might F things up even more.

Sorry to hear it did not work for you. I wonder if Square Enix will ever come out with a patch to fix this.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
TimmiT9

That fix didn't work for me and I certainly don't want to under- or overlock my GPU. Thanks for trying to help though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markieeai View Post
Sorry to hear it did not work for you. I wonder if Square Enix will ever come out with a patch to fix this.
One of the devs said this on the official forum earlier this week:
Quote:
Hi all,

Sorry for the lack of communication about this issue. In our 1.3 patch we added some new debugging info that allows us to track crash reports more easily. This is clearly a common problem for a lot of people and we'll be looking into the issue, hopefully it's a quick fix but it's always hard to predict with crashes like these on PC.

We appreciate your patience!
http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewt...p=20268#p20268

It's nice to know that they are looking into it at least. Someone also got a reply from someone at Square-Enix or United Front, who mentioned that they don't have a machine with the issue in-house: http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewt...p=22478#p22478
TimmiT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
XdyeXD

I had bsods and stuttering and this is how i fixed, maybe can help someone.

After investigating the bsods were pointing at the main driver of nvidea, i had the official stable one. So my guess is one of this 2:

A: Some version of sleeping dogs corrupted the drivers
B: the game is not really optimized for nvidea, and this wont fix it till nvidea releases new drivers

Anyway what i did, was reinstall DirectX, download last beta drivers of nvidea (304.79) I went to inspector and i set up adaptable Vsync, FPS limeter off, triple buffer off.
Then ingame Vsync off, FPS limiter off

And the game worked like a charm i even could put back 1980 resolution with max settings except AA while before i was playing 1600, I played 5 hours straight while before in 15, 30min or 1 hour i got a bsod.

So idk if this is the true problem but it worked for me, althought still i have some tearing sometimes but i think wotn be fixed till nvidea releases new drivers.

Last edited by XdyeXD: 08-25-2012 at 11:03 AM.
XdyeXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
L1qu1d

For the BSOD, do can you tell us what it says?

I had mine at Memory_management BSOD, which meant my ram was either not getting enough juice, or my ram isn't work properly.

In my case, my one of my ram sticks wasn't working.

Let us KNow.

Edit: Are you overclocking as well? If you are try returning it to stock and see if the same thing happens. I had to drop my overclock for certain games so that they run stable. So far all of this is looking like a system stability issue, I was having the exact same issues as you.

Post Your:

1- Specs
2- BSOD message

Optional

3- Temps

Possible Solutions to isolate problem

1- Try a Disk Error Check (if running a Regular HDD, try defrag)
2- Ram Test http://hcidesign.com/memtest/download.html (MemTest)

P.S
I'm off my Nexus 7 at work, So didn't get a chance to read the whole forum, but hopefully this helps!

Last edited by L1qu1d: 08-25-2012 at 11:38 AM.
L1qu1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
markieeai

I got a BSOD after 5hours of gameplay now myself, but it seems more stable for me playing without the HD Texture pack.

I have CHKDSK, no issues. Did a memtest, passed 8 passes. Then I got tired of waiting so I canceled it after 8 Passes.

Here's what it says for me when I get BSOD, however. I seem to get different error reports each time. Which is weird. Will try defragging soon. Been a while since I've done that anyway.

Hmm, the drivers sounds reasonable. I will try reinstall my nVidia drivers and DX11 - Just a question, did you delete DX11 drivers first and then re-installed them?

Quote:
@L1qu1d - Here are the Error Messages I get after booting up again from a BSOD

BCCode: 24
BCP1: 00000000001904FB
BCP2: FFFFF8800CEFF918
BCP3: FFFFF8800CEFF170
BCP4: FFFFF880014E2527

and

BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF960000FF4E1
BCP3: FFFFF8800CEA2F40
BCP4: 0000000000000000

I hope that information is useful to you in someway. Oh and here are my specs

Quote:
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V
Graphics Card: EVGA nVidia GTX460 SC v.2
Power Supply: ANTEC High Current Gamer 900W
CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5 GHz (LGA1155)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 (4x4gb)

Last edited by markieeai: 08-25-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
XdyeXD

I reinstalled the batman arkham city directx wich let me did repair, for drivers i just updated, but the last beta drivers installs lot of new things

The 1st thing i would do if u have crashes is reinstall gpu and directx drivers to see if it works

my specs are GTX460SE, 8Gb ram, I5
Old 08-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
shanrisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markieeai View Post
Hello. (TL;DR at the bottom)

I think I have narrowed down the causes of what most people are having issues with.

For me it started small, the game would get stuck in the Loading Screen, I could constantly hear the background audio, see the logo spinning. But nothing would happen.

Forcing me to CTRL ALT TAB out of the game. I could play perfectly for 2 hours and then the loading screen would freeze.
Then it would just shut itself down. Simply put, it would crash. Like I had clicked QUIT.

Just like that, poof game shut down. And sometimes I got the "HKShip.exe has stopped working" message. Again I could play for around 2hours before this happened.
It got aggravating, and then it happened on one particular spot, at that point in the game it would CONSTANTLY close itself down for no reason. And later on it wouldn't even go 10-15 minutes before the came shut itself down, or completely froze, "HKShip.exe is not responding"

And then, it just got worse my friends. I started getting Blue Screens after 15-30minutes in. It seemed like the issues just got worse and worse the further in the game I progressed. Textures started looking weird, all black, purple, green and everything. Now I didn't even get the shut down after 15 mins. Nope now I got Blue Screens after 15 minutes.

So after narrowing it down, it was not my Hard-drive that was acting up. I did validate files, removed the .exe and validated. My memory was not faulty, my computer got plenty of power. Nothing had been installed faulty, nor was any of the hardware faulty.

So with nothing to lose, I decided... Most people (those threads and posts I read) They all had decent gaming rigs that would handle this game without any issues, and they were also running the HD Texture Pack.

Yup see the connection there? So I decided, lets deactivate the HD-Texture pack.

And what do you know! IT WORKED! I have now played for 5hours (To be fair 1-2 hours was in the menu screen while I was AFK) But the game has been running for 5 hours. No issues, Not a single loading screen freeze after a cut-scene or about to initiate one. Not a single Close to Desktop or Blue Screen of Death.

And to further prove my theory, mostly proving it to myself. That the HD-Texture pack was the villain, I decided to turn it back on and play for a while. And what do you know after 15minutes of playing, yup... Another Blue Screen.

So I have reason to believe that there is something wrong with the HD-Texture pack, so until Square Enix fixes that. You should all play without it. I will post comparison pictures with HD Texture off and on, there is not a big difference at all!

TL;DR - Turn off HD-Texture Pack in the Options. That was causing you to get Blue Screens, Game shut down and Loading Screen of Death

Comparison Pictures:
HD Textures On - http://twitpic.com/andd7e/full

HD Textures Off - http://twitpic.com/anddp5/full

HD Textures On 2 - http://twitpic.com/ande07/full

HD Textures Off 2 - http://twitpic.com/ande8r/full

HD Textures On 3 - http://twitpic.com/andeht/full

HD Textures Off 3 - http://twitpic.com/andepm/full
HEy please help me , how do I turn off Hd textures pack ? I've intel hd graphics and i get white screen whenever i open my game then it crashes to desktop with this message " HKship.exe has stopped working" .. please help
shanrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #12
lefty1117

I was having issues where occasionally on certain missions, during the transition the screen would stay black after the fade and never come back. I could hear the background noise but the game would not seem to progress. Today it got to the point where I could not advance in the game because this was happening every time with the same mission. Eventually I tried starting a New game, but the game wouldn't start - it would go to the first loading screens and sit there, transitioning between the two load screens.

I tried messing around with graphics options etc for a while ... disabled autosave ... and it wasn't until I turned off the HD textures in the game options that it started working again. I believe there is something messed up with the textures. I also noticed that even when the HD textures were working, around the martial arts gym some of the ground textures were messed up. After disabling HD textures that issue is gone.
lefty1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #13
Nydus

BSOD = faulty Hardware.

Sleeping Dogs puts heavy load on your machine. Even more with the texture pack. If your rig cant handle it then theres something wrong with your machine.

my advice:

give more Vcore to CPU or GPU. google for instructions how do give more voltage to your specific hardware.

if you have OC ur rig either crank the voltages up even more or disable the OC. Its most likely not stable.

I mean how on earth can a game ruin ur DX?? Or your drivers? thats absolute BS :/

i hope u get ur problems solves soon

PPS: broken hardware can also be the point. could be everything from your RAM to HDD. checking everything can be a long pain in the . best is to try components from a friend
Nydus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:35 AM   #14
L1qu1d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
BSOD = faulty Hardware.

Sleeping Dogs puts heavy load on your machine. Even more with the texture pack. If your rig cant handle it then theres something wrong with your machine.

my advice:

give more Vcore to CPU or GPU. google for instructions how do give more voltage to your specific hardware.

if you have OC ur rig either crank the voltages up even more or disable the OC. Its most likely not stable.

I mean how on earth can a game ruin ur DX?? Or your drivers? thats absolute BS :/

PPS: broken hardware can also be the point. could be everything from your RAM to HDD. checking everything can be a long pain in the . best is to try components from a friend
Not always, sometimes it could drivers and Windows File Corruption or incompatibility.

When I had my 5870, Ati released a set a drivers that gave me BSOD every 5 mins. I rolled back to original and the problem was fixed.

Since you did a test of the ram (which I suggest you let run for a full 24 Hours)

Try Running Prime95 see if your PC can do that for about 30 mins-1 hr.

IF it passes that try checking your hard disk for errors (window's Built in program should be good enough)

If that also fails I would try reinstalling Windows, especially if windows is installed on a Hard Disk instead of a SSD, maybe refreshing onto a fresh disk might fix the problem.

ALSO
If this still persists, remember rule of thumb, unless a product is officially made by Mircosoft, I would update drivers DIRECTLY from the product's Driver Page.

I've also had BSOD when installing drivers for my video card or CPU through Windows Update.

If this also fails then it most def must be at a hardware level, ranging from video card to the less likely CPU...or even the PSU might be supplying enough power for long term gaming.

Let us know!

P.S

On a custom built machine, some motherboard need to be flashed to the latest firmware since new firmwares also increase system stability, add new chips and values.
Your ram could not be getting enough Juice, I remember when I had an OLD asus board, it was only giving my ram about 1.5V when the ram said it needed 1.69V.

Good Luck!

Last edited by L1qu1d: 08-26-2012 at 07:38 AM.
L1qu1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #15
XdyeXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
BSOD = faulty Hardware.

my advice:

Is not hardware, thousand of people having bsods just with this game, just by logic u alredy know is not about hardware. I had bsods with this agme, i changed drivers and never had another bsod, the game works fine now, even better than before, so is something about drivers or the game itself. Also i don't think is HD texture pack. I run the game all at max with HD textures in 1980 resolution with a constant 50 frames just AA turned off with a GTX 460, so i can tell u is not hardware.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sleeping Dogs