Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Souls

Old 08-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
ryuanesha

Dark Souls PC Controls

Dark Souls, Controls.

FROM delivered exactly what was asked of them, the game and its assets playable on PC. This does not mean that they would change a single thing, and some things like tool-tips and menus would have had to be manually modified by the team which is more than a simple direct port - that's a PC version. The menu might not detect mouse inputs, but the current configuration is well done. Contrary to popular belief, the game is entirely playable with PC controls, and thanks to our beloved community its beautiful too.

I play with Mouse+Keyboard, its faster response times are one of the highlights of this version, and contrary to popular belief this port is certainly playable. Under no circumstances, even for a port, should the consumer ever have to lower themselves so far as to emulate a console experience despite this fact with a controller. Here's how to stick it to the man!

(I suggest turning down your DPI, aim sensitivity, and every other way you know how to stop this unholy camera.)

Mouse1: light attack.
Mouse2: strong attack.
Mouse3: Lock-on.
End: Menu*
G: Gestures
Q: Use
E: Item
Shift: Block/LeftHanded
Tab: Parry
Alt: Toggle Weapon Handling.
XCVB: Quick Changing Items/Equipment.

(Xbox Equivalents)
A: Q? (Use Key)
B: Space? (Sprint Key)
X: E? (Item Key)
Y: Alt? (Weapon Holding Key)
Back: G (Gesture Key)

Ive yet to confirm if the equivalents work as they say, but when it prompts for the back key in menus G works for me.

Many people are frustrated with the end key being chosen for the menu, but I cant blame FROM for that. Clearly microsoft had their hand in the porting, and its only natural for a company with so little experience to place their menu key next to the ungodly GFWL key, which if any of us actually used this extremely unnecessary key as if our glorious PCs were but mere consoles then this would have been a good spot.

*Suggest rebinding.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Freyar

I've looked at possibly making a reference placard, but trying to find all the pieces to do it gave me a headache.
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Ardbug

Reposting from another thread:

-In order to kick you need to tap W and LMB at the exact same time.
-To jump you need to hold W and the spacebar down to get into the running animation, then quickly release and press spacebar again.
-Y = Insert, use this to change gestures.
-Delete will let you see item description.
-Use Enter to transfer items to/from the bottomless box, press RMB or Backspace to exit transfer mode.
-Press G to rate the message you see on the ground.
-To zoom with the bow, click and hold LMB to draw the arrow, then press LShift to enter zoom mode, press LShift again to exit zoom mode. (you can't zoom with xbows)
-To jump attack, press W+Spacebar to enter the running animation, then press LMB.

Last edited by Ardbug: 08-26-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Ardbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
AmosTheCat

I was really hoping someone would make a reference guide for keyboard/mouse users. The 'manual' only gives the very basic controls. I stopped playing for the time being.

If I knew what all the actions were (in default), I could make an informed decision on how I want to rebind them.

How do you Kick? Aren't they other actions that require more than one key?

I would really like to play this, but first I need to sort out the control mechanics. And, before someone steps in with their opinion, yes, I do have a gamepad. I bought it a year ago because I thought it would help in a racing game. By the time it arrived from Newegg, I had already mastered it on keyboard/mouse, so I just set it aside.

It would take a bit of time to try to learn to become proficient with the gamepad, and this probably isn't the most forgiving game to do that.
AmosTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
LeftyX

kick : w + left click
slide down ladder : hold spacebar
jump : while on sprint tap spacebar
change spell : middle mouse roll up
change item use : middle mouse roll down

Last edited by LeftyX: 08-26-2012 at 08:29 AM.
LeftyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Freyar

I'll see if I can't put something together tonight if it's not too busy at my workplace.
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
AmosTheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyar View Post
I'll see if I can't put something together tonight if it's not too busy at my workplace.
Thank you so much! You have been very helpful on this forum. I can't wait to really get into this game.

Edit: It would be great if once it's compiled it could be stickied for others having the same issues.

Last edited by AmosTheCat: 08-26-2012 at 08:45 AM.
AmosTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
randomhero189

Even when I lower in-game sensitivity, windows sensitivity and dpi, mouse camera is still just blehhhh, and still ruins the entire kb&m playstyle for me. I'll just continue using my ps3 controller until a real mouse fix/patch/mod comes around.

But thanks anyway for trying to help everyone figure out keyboard inputs.
randomhero189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
ghostX0

so is "kick" the cartwheel move? I front kicked an enemy once but have been unable to do it again. W + L attack right? cant kick an enemy for the life of me.

"jump" is tap spacebar? all I do is roll/tumble forward.

if it werent for the camera and controls Id really like this game.
ghostX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
ostkartong

I still can't play becuase of the sensitivity even when set to lowest on both the game and the computer its still sky high
ostkartong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Ardbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostX0 View Post
so is "kick" the cartwheel move? I front kicked an enemy once but have been unable to do it again. W + L attack right? cant kick an enemy for the life of me.

"jump" is tap spacebar? all I do is roll/tumble forward.

if it werent for the camera and controls Id really like this game.
To kick, you need to tap W + left mouse button, but you need to do it at the EXACT same time, don't hold down the button, just tap them both for a millisecond. Test it out where there are no NPCs you can accidentally hit.

To jump, you need to be sprinting, so press and hold down the spacebar till you start to sprint, then quickly tap the spacebar to jump.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Winfrex

When I try to kick, it does the jump attack instead (or is there some animation glitch I'm having?)
Winfrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #13
ryuanesha

Jump attack is with right click, but thanks so much everyone who contributed, ive been trying to figure out how to change gestures for a while.

Id love for everything here and more to be compiled into a sticky.
ryuanesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
ghostX0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardbug View Post
To kick, you need to tap W + left mouse button, but you need to do it at the EXACT same time, don't hold down the button, just tap them both for a millisecond. Test it out where there are no NPCs you can accidentally hit.

To jump, you need to be sprinting, so press and hold down the spacebar till you start to sprint, then quickly tap the spacebar to jump.
TYVM!
ghostX0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
Ardbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostX0 View Post
TYVM!
You are welcome \O/

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Souls