Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City

Old 08-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Dr_Z

Exclamation Important information from WB Games if you purchased more than 180 days ago:

"We do not replace codes beyond 180 days of purchase.

Thank you,

Mario.M

WB Games Support"

That was the reply I got when I asked for new, working CD-key.

As many of us, I was using an off-line GFWL account to play the main game since I didn't have any DLCs. Until I tried to install Harley's Revenge when I realized that I would nee an on-line account. Aside the save game issues I thought, "ok, no problem just enter the key Steam provided with the purchase".

No, it didn't work. Thus, I contacted Steam support when I noticed on the forum that many had the issue who, just like I, purchased back in November/December 2011. Steam gave me another key but I didn't check it right away as I was preparing my PhD exam.

Last Friday, I finally entered the new key and to my dismay this one didn't work either. I checked the forums again and saw that WB Games are handling the issues with keys. "Excellent", I thought! I entered the information on their support site and was waiting for a reply.

The above quote is what I got.

Does anybody have an idea what I should do from here? If I contact WB Games again, they will just give the same reply even if I will lay out the reason why this policy doesn't make any sense. If I contact Steam, they will point to the decision between them and WB Games that the latter is handling any issues with keys.

As a legit customer I'm wondering what my true alternatives are. While I can redeem the Harley DLC on the web site of GFWL (called ironically xbox.com) and download through the GFWL client, it doesn't install to the folder of the main game but rather in the one specified under settings of the client. All files are in one folder, so I cannot simply copy it to the main game folder, and the data of BmGame.ini would needed to be probably merged with the one located under WB Games\Batman Arkham City\BmGame\Config. That much I could figure out, but not where all the files should go exactly. Hell, I even extracted the URL to the cab file, to no avail, as it doesn't contain any folder structure. That is encrypted in the CAT file inside the archive. That's all I could do after searching for a solution for now almost five hours.

At least I can play off-line the main game. It is otherwise enjoyable and fun and makes me sad and disappointed that its shine is swallowed by the dirt that the distributor, WB Games, forced upon Rocksteady (at least, that's my impression).

I would appreciate any input.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
djharris10

o.O that doesn't really seem legal, you purchased the game, on steam you can't even re-purchase games so how can you get a new code if they won't allow you to get one? WB games can get their bums sued for something like this because arkham city is steamworks which means you can't even get the game retail then redeem it elsewhere, so if you re-buy the game steam will say you already own a copy, keep pushing and look through the EULAs, if there is nothing about the 180 days thing you can catch em on it
djharris10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
emisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Z View Post
"We do not replace codes beyond 180 days of purchase.

Thank you,

Mario.M

WB Games Support"

That was the reply I got when I asked for new, working CD-key.

As many of us, I was using an off-line GFWL account to play the main game since I didn't have any DLCs. Until I tried to install Harley's Revenge when I realized that I would nee an on-line account. Aside the save game issues I thought, "ok, no problem just enter the key Steam provided with the purchase".

No, it didn't work. Thus, I contacted Steam support when I noticed on the forum that many had the issue who, just like I, purchased back in November/December 2011. Steam gave me another key but I didn't check it right away as I was preparing my PhD exam.

Last Friday, I finally entered the new key and to my dismay this one didn't work either. I checked the forums again and saw that WB Games are handling the issues with keys. "Excellent", I thought! I entered the information on their support site and was waiting for a reply.

The above quote is what I got.

Does anybody have an idea what I should do from here? If I contact WB Games again, they will just give the same reply even if I will lay out the reason why this policy doesn't make any sense. If I contact Steam, they will point to the decision between them and WB Games that the latter is handling any issues with keys.

As a legit customer I'm wondering what my true alternatives are. While I can redeem the Harley DLC on the web site of GFWL (called ironically xbox.com) and download through the GFWL client, it doesn't install to the folder of the main game but rather in the one specified under settings of the client. All files are in one folder, so I cannot simply copy it to the main game folder, and the data of BmGame.ini would needed to be probably merged with the one located under WB Games\Batman Arkham City\BmGame\Config. That much I could figure out, but not where all the files should go exactly. Hell, I even extracted the URL to the cab file, to no avail, as it doesn't contain any folder structure. That is encrypted in the CAT file inside the archive. That's all I could do after searching for a solution for now almost five hours.

At least I can play off-line the main game. It is otherwise enjoyable and fun and makes me sad and disappointed that its shine is swallowed by the dirt that the distributor, WB Games, forced upon Rocksteady (at least, that's my impression).

I would appreciate any input.
Sign into your online account (the one you downloaded Harley's Revenge on), and when it asks you to enter a key just enter the one that Steam gave you. It doesn't matter if it doesn't work; you should still be able to play with that account, just offline. You can then convert your previous save for use on your new account using the instructions here: http://community.batmanarkhamcity.co...362#post308362
emisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Dr_Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by emisan View Post
Sign into your online account (the one you downloaded Harley's Revenge on), and when it asks you to enter a key just enter the one that Steam gave you. It doesn't matter if it doesn't work; you should still be able to play with that account, just offline. You can then convert your previous save for use on your new account using the instructions here: http://community.batmanarkhamcity.co...362#post308362
After I sign in with my Live ID it prompts me to enter the key for the main game. It says "Downloading profile" first and then fails; the only thing I can do is enter another key. I do not get to a point where I can choose to play off-line with that account. Or perhaps I misunderstood you?

I've been following your work with the saves. Incredible stuff you did for the community figuring that one out!
Dr_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
emisan

Quote:
After I sign in with my Live ID it prompts me to enter the key for the main game. It says "Downloading profile" first and then fails; the only thing I can do is enter another key. I do not get to a point where I can choose to play off-line with that account. Or perhaps I misunderstood you?

I've been following your work with the saves. Incredible stuff you did for the community figuring that one out!
I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you. I bought the game in December, key didn't work, so I just played with my GFWL profile offline. I never asked for a key because I knew that if I took my profile online my save wouldn't work (back then, anyway). Guess I can't ask for a key now.

Anyway, What happens when I play is GFWL prompt pops up, I select my profile, then enter my password. It asks for me to enter the product key, so I click "I Agree," then submit. It tries to sign in, but I get a message that my key isn't valid. At that point my profile is signed in offline, so I just press escape. I've never seen a "downloading profile" message. Have you tried disconnecting your internet?
Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
AlHudson1

GFWL sucks!
AlHudson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 AM   #7
Dr_Z

Quote:
I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you. I bought the game in December, key didn't work, so I just played with my GFWL profile offline. I never asked for a key because I knew that if I took my profile online my save wouldn't work (back then, anyway). Guess I can't ask for a key now.
If you try and fail at least we have further proof about this incomprehensible behaviour. The support form is here.

Quote:
Anyway, What happens when I play is GFWL prompt pops up, I select my profile, then enter my password. It asks for me to enter the product key, so I click "I Agree," then submit. It tries to sign in, but I get a message that my key isn't valid. At that point my profile is signed in offline, so I just press escape. I've never seen a "downloading profile" message. Have you tried disconnecting your internet?
That is rather strange. That gave me the idea to try to delete my other off-line only profile to see whether in that case my failed on-line login would do automatically an off-line log in. No, it didn't.
In case I turn off the net, it just fails the log-in procedure altogether (though, it fanatically asks me to enter a key!) and doesn't let me access the game off-line either.

What a mess!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
emisan

Quote:
That is rather strange. That gave me the idea to try to delete my other off-line only profile to see whether in that case my failed on-line login would do automatically an off-line log in. No, it didn't.
In case I turn off the net, it just fails the log-in procedure altogether (though, it fanatically asks me to enter a key!) and doesn't let me access the game off-line either.

What a mess!
So it seems you're not even able to access the Harley Quinn DLC? Any chance you can take screenshots of the login process?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Dr_Z

Quote:
So it seems you're not even able to access the Harley Quinn DLC? Any chance you can take screenshots of the login process?
Sure I can, although I'm quite certain it won't give any clue as to what else could be done.

Direct link.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #10
emisan

Quote:
Sure I can, although I'm quite certain it won't give any clue as to what else could be done.

Direct link.
That final screen you have is similar to what I get. All I do is press Escape and I can access my profile offline.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
Dr_Z

After the customer unfriendly response by WBGames I contacted Steam again how to proceed from here. They asked me to contact GFWL support which is what I just did.

I'll update as we progress in this "fascinating" story.

P.S. Emisan, pressing ESC at the final screen simply closes the GFWL window and the game says the warning about not being able to save progress if I do not login into an account.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #12
Dr_Z

I contacted the wrong support via e-mail and now had a conversation with support by phone.

They checked both the original key at purchase as well as the one I was given by Steam in the support ticket. Both keys are flagged as Batman: Arkham City keys already activated with different GFWL ID's than mine. They were unable to help any further.

Although I can assure both Steam and GFWL that I never used the keys before with a different ID it seems like I'm at an impasse here. It's my words ("I never used the keys") against Steam's ("we didn't give used keys") with WB.Games in the middle with a customer unfriendly attitude of "we don't care about you after 180 days".

The ball is back in Steam's court now. From what I can discern from this point I'm going to have to count the DLC as a financial loss here, unless a miracle happens.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #13
Rob316gold2

Why is the 5th code box empty in the 2nd screen shot?
Rob316gold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
Dr_Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob316gold2 View Post
Why is the 5th code box empty in the 2nd screen shot?
Just didn't want people to try the code in futile attempts.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #15
emisan

Heh, I think I finally found a workaround. The problem appears to be that your new profile hasn't been downloaded to your PC. What I did was create the new GFWL profile, then sign into the profile in another GFWL game (in my case, I used the original Arkham Asylum). This made my new profile finally show up on the list of profiles in Arkham City. Beforehand I was getting the same error messages as you, and the profile wouldn't sign in offline. Once the profile had been downloaded, I was able to press escape after the key confirmation failed, and the profile was signed in offline.

So, the gist of it is that you have to sign into your new profile in another game to get it to show up on your profile list. If you don't have Arkham Asylum (and shame on you if you don't), I think Microsoft Flight is currently free.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City