Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City

Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #16
Dr_Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by emisan View Post
So, the gist of it is that you have to sign into your new profile in another game to get it to show up on your profile list. If you don't have Arkham Asylum (and shame on you if you don't), I think Microsoft Flight is currently free.
That makes total sense! I should have thought of it myself.

And yes, of course I have Arkham Asylum, I even used the same off-line profile until now for both games!

Will report!

Update: it worked indeed!! After downloading the profile inside of Batman:AA it did an update of GFWL itself (since I was never on-line with it). After starting Batman:AC that (on-line) profile was visible and as you described, after trying to enter a wrong key, I could press the ESC button to be logged in nonetheless where the Harley DLC was available (which I downloaded with the GFWL Marketplace application in Windows two weeks ago).

Emisan, many thanks to you (I can finally add to your rep, now that I have 10 posts). You already know how much thanks we owe you for solving the savegame issue in the first place (which I'm going to tackle now).

I hope this thread will help those with the issue in the future, especially since this will work even after a total re-installation of the operating system (although I have the feeling this behaviour might not have been intended in the first place).

Update 2: Savegame hex-editing as described in the second post of this thread worked but it the offset was 0x138 and not 0x13C. Is this perhaps because the Steam version has 4 bytes less (unfortunately I'm not so good with hexadecimal)? In any case, I could find the pattern " ..." (space then three dots) and go on from there.

Thanks again emisan! Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Last edited by Dr_Z: 09-07-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Update of success
Dr_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
emisan

Heh, it was actually the screenshots that clued me into what the problem might have been.

And yes, with regards to the hex editing, the addresses are different for the Steam version because it doesn't have those extra 4 bytes at the beginning.
emisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #18
Dr_Z

A last update regarding the CD-key issue. This was all of Steam's response:
"Unfortunately, we will be unable to assist you further with this issue".

I'm unable to put into words the level of disappointment without using expletives. Another warning to all of us just how fragile this system of "not-quite-exactly-ownership-more-like-renting" in digital distribution is. Through fortunate circumstances and the smart and helpful user emisan the problem could be solved in an undocumented way, but this issue has caused me is to re-evaluate my stance on Steam itself (not to mention WB Games!).
Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
Dr_Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by djharris10 View Post
o.O that doesn't really seem legal, you purchased the game, on steam you can't even re-purchase games so how can you get a new code if they won't allow you to get one? WB games can get their bums sued for something like this because arkham city is steamworks which means you can't even get the game retail then redeem it elsewhere, so if you re-buy the game steam will say you already own a copy, keep pushing and look through the EULAs, if there is nothing about the 180 days thing you can catch em on it
I was reminded by the first reply in this thread. I checked it and found this:

Quote:
"WB Games warrants to the best of WB Games' ability to the original consumer purchaser of the Product that the medium on which the Product is recorded shall be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one hundred eighty (180) days from the original date of purchase. If a defect in materials or workmanship occurs during this one hundred eighty (180) day warranty period, WB Games will either repair or replace, at WB Games' option, the Product free of charge. In the event that the Product is no longer available, WB Games may, in its sole discretion, replace the Product with a product of comparable value. The original purchaser is entitled to this warranty only if the date of purchase is registered at point of sale or the consumer can demonstrate (to WB Games' satisfaction) that the Product was purchased within the last one hundred eighty (180) days."
So yes, they covered their back with it. This would not be legal in Germany, where I reside, or Luxembourg where the shop resides where I bought this game (Valve S.a.r.l.) but if they keep insisting that US law is the binding one, then it's Valve again I have to bother with and they clearly said that they are unable to solve this issue.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
Auron.

It's not a defect it's them refusing to allow people who paid to play. We should take this up with Valve and force them to get a solution out of Warner, this is completely unacceptable for a game to be unavailable on Steam after a few hardware changes. I just recently noticed I'm on my second to last activation.
Auron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 AM   #21
Dr_Z

The reply notification reminded to add a further development that has happened since my last post.

I had the idea of contacting WB Games in German language and surprisingly they did send me a new key after sending them the receipt of the purchase.

As for limiting the number of installs. I sincerely hope, that the developments in the last year (c.f. Ubisoft stance on DRM) will provide us with the no hassle approach we've been all waiting for so long now.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
sea-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron. View Post
It's not a defect it's them refusing to allow people who paid to play. We should take this up with Valve and force them to get a solution out of Warner, this is completely unacceptable for a game to be unavailable on Steam after a few hardware changes. I just recently noticed I'm on my second to last activation.
I completely agree. It's utter bull and Valve should be ashamed that this game is even in their library.
sea- is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City