Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Walking Dead, The

Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
Vangrabish

Game not launching

Since the third episode was released I am unable to start the game. When I click play in steam it starts "preparing to launch" and that sign goes away and nothing else happens.
I tried looking for it in the folders but I can't find the game. I pinned it to the desktop because people have been telling me to run it as admin, so I tried to, however, after getting it on the desktop and right clicking it to run as admin, there is no "Run as administrator" button to click. The available choices are; Open, print, Search for virus, and the usual change name, remove, create shortcut etc..
I also noted that it says "Search the walking dead.url for viruses and spyware"(Not sure if it actually says that in english but I translated it directly from Swedish in lack of better judgement. Also note that I am really bad at computers so maybe games are usually .url but it sounds odd to me. Any idea how to fix?

I would also like to add that I have tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it again.

Last edited by Vangrabish: 08-30-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Vangrabish

Now, randomly, the game started working, only to find that I didn't have a saved game(I have played the first two episodes) so I checked for a fix on the forum and found one, turned off the game (because I think you had to). However, now I have the same problem as I did initially, the game just wont start, the first time it took me from 14:53 to 22:25 to get it to work again(I started working without me changing anything at all)
Vangrabish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
Sasha

I am having the same exact problem as Vangrabish. I wasn't able to launch the game since the update of episode three, I've never had any issues beforehand, and then it fixed itself without any meddling on my part.

Of course then when I went to check out my 3 save files, they were also all gone.
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
VanDean

Found the same issue

I have found the same issue as above with the added items:

Seem to happen if I have my Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Gamepad plugged in. As soon as I pulled the battery on it the game started but it was in a windowed mode with low res. Changed everything back, only to find that my save games, of which I was partway thru episode 2, are no longer working.

I can replicate this every time. If I unplug the gamepad before launching the game after fixing the res, it stays as I set it. If I turn on the gamepad however, it is back to the low res windowed mode.

This has only been happening since the episode 3 upgrade. Should also mention I am running Windows 8 RTM (Technet Subscription).

Help, need my save games...
VanDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
zxcx

i have this exact problem as u guys describe. the game just doesn't launch. anyone has a solution? would really appreciate it.
zxcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
zxcx

ok i tried to run it with other compatibilty mode and it worked. maybe u guys can try it. but the saved files are still gone though. i had to replace the prefs.prop file to get back my save.

Last edited by zxcx: 08-31-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Vangrabish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcx View Post
ok i tried to run it with other compatibilty mode and it worked. maybe u guys can try it. but the saved files are still gone though. i had to replace the prefs.prop file to get back my save.
What is "Other compability mode"? After reinstalling the game for a second time I checked it to add it to desktop and start menu but it didn't pin it to either of them. I saw another thread concerning the prefs.prop file but it was very poorly explained(at least to me since I need a lot of help) so if you could take the time to point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
lanceo90

Mine's also not working, I even deleted it and re installed.
lanceo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
lugsy

yup

First time I tried to load it, got a typical "The Walking dead has stopped working"... now it never gets passed the "Launching The Walking dead" steam popup.

If anyone is browsing that does have it working. Can you compare your Walking dead folder in steam to mine? I'd like to see if maybe something is misnamed/missing.
Clicky clicky

Last edited by lugsy: 09-01-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: No new post
lugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #10
Vangrabish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugsy View Post
First time I tried to load it, got a typical "The Walking dead has stopped working"... now it never gets passed the "Launching The Walking dead" steam popup.

If anyone is browsing that does have it working. Can you compare your Walking dead folder in steam to mine? I'd like to see if maybe something is misnamed/missing.
Clicky clicky
the thing you have on the bottom (the actual game) isn't even there for me. If I pin it to the desktop, I get another picture and it's a .url. That is not something that is wrong with yours but rather with mine.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
AlphaCat

Having the same problem as the OP. I have enjoyed the game so far, but they had better fix this soon or I am uninstalling and never buying a Telltale game again.
AlphaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
zxcx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangrabish View Post
What is "Other compability mode"? After reinstalling the game for a second time I checked it to add it to desktop and start menu but it didn't pin it to either of them. I saw another thread concerning the prefs.prop file but it was very poorly explained(at least to me since I need a lot of help) so if you could take the time to point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
ok not sure if my method is the best or if it works for u guys. but anyway what i did was to run the game in other compability mode:

this is done by going the the folder where your walking dead files are. steam > steamapps > common > the walking dead. Right click on the application and properties. Under compability tab, check the box and try to run it under other modes (win 7, vista etc). if the game run but is in windowed (not fullscreen), u can go to option to make it to fullscreen.

But my saved files are still gone. i cut the prefs.prop in my documents > telltale > walking dead to desktop. and i ran the game playing from fresh episode, and let it make a save. then i replaced the new prefs.prop with my old one. I began the game and it seems like the decisions i made in episode 1 is now recorded but the decisions in episode 2 is still gone. I continued with episode 3 anyway lol.

Hope this helps. And maybe someone can provide some better help regarding the saved files. (since my method only retain episode 1 decisions.) Good luck.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Vangrabish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcx View Post
ok not sure if my method is the best or if it works for u guys. but anyway what i did was to run the game in other compability mode:
That worked, thanks. I can now start the game but when I went to replace the prefs.prop or whatever in the steam -> walking dead with the documents -> telltale games -> walking dead, I found that the walking dead in the steam place, there are no save files, none at all. Any idea what that's about? So I just moved the prefs.prop from the telltale games walking dead right to steam walking dead but there are no saves.
Old 09-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
lugsy

Still no fix? running in different compatibility did not work for me. Had no issues before ep 3.
lugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
gavin330

I'm having the same issue on Windows 7, steam gives me the preparing to launch window but the game never launches. It worked fine a few weeks ago and I've tried uninstalling and re-installing and still nothing... This is getting frustrating, I hope there's a fix that actually works soon.
gavin330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Walking Dead, The