Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Walking Dead, The

Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Remco32

Save game fix

The problem
I've finished both episode 1 and 2. When starting the game today to FINALLY play episode 3, the game only showed a savegame stating 'episode 1'. It looked like the game didn't save anything from episode 2.
In the folder containing the savegames (C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead), there were .save files that corresponded with episode 2 (save_11 - save_28). Apparently the game DID save the game (hence the files being there), but it isn't finding it for some reason.

The fix
The game reads the prefs.prop stored in X:\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default . Copy your prefs.prop file from the my documents folder (C:\Users\YOURNAME\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead) to the steamapps folder.

This is probably caused by a register error telling the game to read/write the prefs.prop file stored in the steamapps folder.
Note that this means you'll have to do this every time you restart your game!

tl;dr : Take a look in this folder for a prefs.prop : X:\Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default

Last edited by Remco32: 08-30-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #2
ShadowolfIncubi

I didn't have a prefs.prop file in my Steam/Commons folder.

So if you don't either, this method worked for me:
http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/...ad.php?t=29343

Scroll down to Siezemore's post, it worked like a charm, if you still have your saved games (but they aren't being read).
The only thing he didn't mention that if you finished Episode 2, then start a new game on Episode 2 (and not Ep. 1). The save game you're trying to re-open should be within the same Episode.
ShadowolfIncubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #3
flufflogic

Well, I'm done. No fix has worked. So I guess I replay from episode 1, all the way up to where I actually am - episode 3's end.
flufflogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
misterproof

This worked

I had the same kind of problem.
Played 7/8 of Episode 4 and went to bed.
When I got back today no saves from episode 4 seemed to exist even though I had all the achievements. Also when trying to load episode 3 the game just froze.

Here is the solution that worked for me to restore my game to it's previous working state including all saves:

I copied the pref.prof file from the folder: C:\Users\Username\Documents\Telltale Games\The Walking Dead

and copied it in:

G:Steam\steamapps\common\the walking dead\Pack\default
(G being the root letter of the drive where my Steam is installed. It varies from user to users).

Boom! Everything is working fine.
misterproof is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Walking Dead, The