Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Reply
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
TekDragon
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 9
Greenlight: Any official confirmation on whether downvote nullifies upvote?

I have voted down hundreds of games. Many of them I think belong on Steam, but they're just games I'm not interested in and it was the only way to get them off my "Games waiting to be rated" list.

A friend informed me that by down voting I am actually removing an up vote, while other members of my gaming crew say that there's no way Valve would be stupid enough to design it that way.

Do we have any official word one way or another?

If down-vote does nullify an up-vote I am just going to ignore Greenlight. That is a simply horrible system that will completely prevent any niche games from succeeding no matter how well designed they are or how successful they might be on Steam.
TekDragon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #2
leezeebub
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 84
Posts: 510
My personal rating system is -

Genuine dislike = Downvote

Not really my thing but looks ok = Up vote

Want for myself = Up vote + favourite
leezeebub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:37 AM   #3
TekDragon
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leezeebub View Post
My personal rating system is -

Genuine dislike = Downvote

Not really my thing but looks ok = Up vote

Want for myself = Up vote + favourite
That's actually a very good idea.

Unfortunately it's completely unintuitive and the handful of people who do that will be completely invalidated by everyone else who down votes games they are not interested in personally - as any sane individual would interpret the system.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
targetbsp
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 2493
Posts: 5,475
The whole design is either horribly flawed (by the random order and inability to hide games you are uninterested in, nor se new titles only) OR it's designed for thumbs down to actually mean remove from my to vote for list.

As far as I'm concerned, if Steam didn't intend thumbs down to mean remove from list - they're going to have to sort the data out because we have no choice but to use it that way if we want to browse all games.

As far as I know, it doesn't cancel out an upvote (this is a guess), but the developer does see the ratio of upvotes to downvotes which may depress them (this is fact).

Last edited by targetbsp: 09-01-2012 at 12:54 AM.
targetbsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:07 AM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
TomB
 
TomB's Avatar
 
Valve
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 176
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekDragon View Post
I have voted down hundreds of games. Many of them I think belong on Steam, but they're just games I'm not interested in and it was the only way to get them off my "Games waiting to be rated" list.

A friend informed me that by down voting I am actually removing an up vote, while other members of my gaming crew say that there's no way Valve would be stupid enough to design it that way.

Do we have any official word one way or another?

If down-vote does nullify an up-vote I am just going to ignore Greenlight. That is a simply horrible system that will completely prevent any niche games from succeeding no matter how well designed they are or how successful they might be on Steam.
Down votes do not nullify up votes.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:23 AM   #6
JediEagle
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Reputation: 2
Posts: 195
Any chance for a third option, like ignore? I dont think a game is bad, but I also wouldnt buy or play it It's kind of mean to down vote a game like that
JediEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
dark_inferno
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 6
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by leezeebub View Post
My personal rating system is -

Genuine dislike = Downvote

Not really my thing but looks ok = Up vote

Want for myself = Up vote + favourite
Thats the same i do. When i see something and think about the Games on steam and think to myself "It could have a place in Steam" then it gets an upvote. But when the idea and the design is something that is copied or doesnt belong to Steam than it gets a down vote.
dark_inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
JetsamXYZ
 
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 303
Posts: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_inferno View Post
Thats the same i do. When i see something and think about the Games on steam and think to myself "It could have a place in Steam" then it gets an upvote. But when the idea and the design is something that is copied or doesnt belong to Steam than it gets a down vote.
What exactly "doesn't belong on Steam"?

If it's a video game, be it a casual game, VN, or virtual chess, it could have a place on Steam. Judging what should and shouldn't be on Steam by its current catalog is a bad idea.

In 2008, if you told me that VNs would be on Steam in 2012 I would have laughed.

In 2003, if you told me that dozens of major publishers would be backing Steam nine years later, I would have also laughed.
JetsamXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Miclee
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 74
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Down votes do not nullify up votes.
Can you please explain, then, how my game 'Latura' had 1% of the required ratings last night, and is now fluttering randomly between 0% and 1%? If downvotes don't nullify upvotes, then the percentage should never go down.
Miclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
DanTheKraut
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 30
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by leezeebub View Post
My personal rating system is -

Genuine dislike = Downvote

Not really my thing but looks ok = Up vote

Want for myself = Up vote + favourite
Im doing it the same way
DanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Dreadjaws
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 946
Posts: 3,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miclee View Post
Can you please explain, then, how my game 'Latura' had 1% of the required ratings last night, and is now fluttering randomly between 0% and 1%? If downvotes don't nullify upvotes, then the percentage should never go down.
As explained in the Greenlight FAQ, the percentages are relative to the other games on Greenlight. The more games there are, the lower the percentages for each one. This way they can check how games are being rated in relation to the other games instead of seeing how many individual votes each one has.

It's an experimental system, give it time to settle down.
Dreadjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
Kailieann
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 892
Posts: 6,351
Also, people can change their votes.
Kailieann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
ExtraSpecter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 10
Posts: 75
How did project zomboid go from %11 likes yesterday to %6 now?
ExtraSpecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
GirlPower23
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 8436
Posts: 10,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraSpecter View Post
How did project zomboid go from %11 likes yesterday to %6 now?
A few posts up explains how the system works.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
Griking
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Reputation: 397
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediEagle View Post
Any chance for a third option, like ignore? I dont think a game is bad, but I also wouldnt buy or play it It's kind of mean to down vote a game like that
But isn't that more or less what you're being asked by voting; whether you'd buy the game or not? Steam really doesn't care how special a game looks if people won't buy it. Steam is trying to determine how much interest there is in a game and whether it would be worth their time to sell it on Steam.

Last edited by Griking: 09-01-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Griking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.