Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2

Old 09-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
rbsanford

Does Alyx have a thing for Gordon?

Just wondering. I mean, right before you leave to do something risky, she gets all sad and tells you good luck. In episode 1, when dog pulls you out of the rubble, the first thing she does is hug you.

Either Gordon is her idol/hero, or she has a thing for him. Is that true?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Alexander Bell

Probably does. "Ugh, this water is gross. You're lucky you have the Hazard Suit. Got room for two in there?"
Alexander Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
WonderfulLizard

This is pretty much confirmed. I wish the creepy aspects of the relationship were played up a little. Half-Life was originally supposed to be a horror game; having a relationship as positive reinforcement with no real horror payoff feels boring and tone-damaging.
WonderfulLizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Saijin_Naib

Foreign Legion: BoB forum
Volunteer Moderator
http://cheezburger.com/4685430016

This pretty much sums it up.
Saijin_Naib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Zekiran

^^ hahahah I like that.

It's absolutely true, and very well done in my opinion. She seems both bashful about admitting it (particularly when her father asserts he'd like grandkids) but at the same time, actually concerned about Gordon and actually enjoying his company, quiet though it may be.

Through the game he does things that truly amaze her. Knocking down the gunship from the building, putting the dampening fields back down in the Citadel, fighting off Hunters. If she didn't admire him before then, she certainly would after those feats.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
2007CA

Even if she hasn't been explicitly taught Gordon's reputation as a one-man army, she certainly must have learned of it through osmosis in her activities with the rebels. And then she discovers that he pretty much lives up to it completely in almost every situation he encounters, and, not fully knowing the greater scheme of things at the time, when he arrives at the Citadel she doesn't seem to be completely aware that he's done it for his/G-man's reasons- she has some sense that the greatest action hero the world has left has come to help her and Eli of his own volition. It's enough to leave an impression.
2007CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
rbsanford

Yeah, the "got room for two in there" line sorta answers it.
rbsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
BeyondReach

The creators of Alyx are exceptional. You can fell through all 3 games how her general feelings towards you grow stronger. You can actually feel how she gets more and more attached to you, her lines were made in such manner that you can see the different "hints" here and there. Also, Eli says in EP2 how they have to "do their part" with a certain tone, that makes Alyx blush. HL2 is one of the games where the producers focused more on the storyline and the character's relationships. So i think that's why you lose yourself into the game, and forget you are even playing. You feel like you are actually a part of their lives.
BeyondReach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #9
CombineFrieza

Alyx does seem to have a major crush on Gordon, but I think Gordon views her as sister/niece, but is her "protectpr"

On the flip side, I think Alyx views Gordon as her Dark Knight in shining armor. But with the death of Eli, I can see Alyx seeing Gordon as a patriarch or a mentor father-like figure.
CombineFrieza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #10

Yes. and they will eventually have a kid, who will be know as Gman
21007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombineFrieza View Post
Alyx does seem to have a major crush on Gordon, but I think Gordon views her as sister/niece, but is her "protectpr"

On the flip side, I think Alyx views Gordon as her Dark Knight in shining armor. But with the death of Eli, I can see Alyx seeing Gordon as a patriarch or a mentor father-like figure.
They are basically the same age. He is still just 27 years old not 47. I don't see no father or brother figure. I see a girl with a crush on a man she has heard stories about all her life since BM.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
Zekiran

Yeh I don't know that Alyx would turn to Gordon as a father-figure, that would likely be reserved for Kleiner. Uncle Izzy after all, featured prominently in her childhood and growth. She's not attracted to him, but it's clear that there is a strong connection between Alyx and Kleiner of a more familial sort.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2