Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Linux)

Old 06-10-2005, 03:44 AM   #16
bakta

ds as "service" - "daemon" at linux

So there are ways.
One I use is to run ds within the SCREEN (screen command) virtual console. see man screen

command looks like this:
screen -A -m -d -S baktadod ./hlds_run -game dod +exec server.cfg +maxplayers 14 +port 27015 +map dod_anzio
replace starting command with ds:source one and it works too.

Then you put into start scripts on server, which may differ. Sometimes it is /etc/rc.d/rc.local, sometimes /etc/init.d/rc.local or something else.
On my Debian server I have created script /etc/init.d/steam which i linked to /etc/rc2.d/S99steam and in it a have put commands i have mentioned above.

Why such solution. Virtual screen can be reattached again. It can be also helpful to produce some log somewhere, so you can track problems, strange behaiviours...

And that's all.

One note: Now I'm upgrading to Debian 3.1, so finally I'll get srcds running (glibc 2.2 to 2.3 issue)
Old 06-18-2005, 12:47 AM   #17
War Management

im getting this error when trying to update steam,

./steam
Checking bootstrapper version ...
Segmentation fault

any suggestions ?
Old 06-21-2005, 08:56 AM   #18
winterhaven

i'm getting this over and over again.

./steam
Checking bootstrapper version ...
Getting version 13 of Steam HLDS Update Tool
Downloading. . . . . . . . . . . .
tar: Documents/Programs/valve/srcds_l: Not found in archive
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
update failed, please run "tar xzUf LinuxHldsUpdateTool_13.pkg" to install the latest steam binary

i do what it says and the steam file is updated but when i try run steam again it downloads the file again, it just keeps going round in cricles

any help would be nice thanks
Old 06-25-2005, 09:08 AM   #19
Arkadiy

After installing gzip, if I did it right, I do what you told me to and this is what I get

[root@D2615 admin]# -s/usr/bin/gzip /usr/bin/uncompress
bash: -s/usr/bin/gzip: No such file or directory

[EDIT]: I think it is because of the -s because I can find that file, gzip, but it doesn't work because of the -s I will try without it and tell you how it goes.

Ok that part worked but now it cant it link it to /usr/bin/uncompress because I do not have uncompress file in there

Last edited by Arkadiy: 06-25-2005 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:21 AM   #20
Arkadiy

Yea the problem is I dont have the uncompress file there, how can I get it there?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:50 AM   #21
Arkadiy

Everything works now! All I had to do was be a root access and type "yum install ncompress" which is a special command on my server.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #22
ScottZz

Just something I noticed right away for hl2mp srcds.

The motdfile tag in server.cfg that's mentioned doesn't work for hl2mp. It's ignored.

motd.txt is always used.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:58 PM   #23
Borgschulze

Console initialized.
Attempted to create unknown entity type event_queue_saveload_proxy!
Game .dll loaded for "Counter-Strike: Source"
maxplayers set to 32
maxplayers set to 10
WARNING: NNET_OpenSocket: bind: Cannot assign requested address
Couldn't allocate dedicated server UDP port
Add "-debug" to the ./srcds_run command line to generate a debug.log to help with solving this problem
Mon Jul 11 19:50:49 EDT 2005: Server restart in 10 seconds

it just infinite loops this...

Ok, I figured it out, I guess Linux uses 127.0.0.1 based IPs while Windows uses 192.168.0.100....

Thanks anyways.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:27 PM   #24
Plasma

Quote:
Originally posted by Borgschulze
Console initialized.
Attempted to create unknown entity type event_queue_saveload_proxy!
Game .dll loaded for "Counter-Strike: Source"
maxplayers set to 32
maxplayers set to 10
WARNING: NNET_OpenSocket: bind: Cannot assign requested address
Couldn't allocate dedicated server UDP port
Add "-debug" to the ./srcds_run command line to generate a debug.log to help with solving this problem
Mon Jul 11 19:50:49 EDT 2005: Server restart in 10 seconds

it just infinite loops this...

Ok, I figured it out, I guess Linux uses 127.0.0.1 based IPs while Windows uses 192.168.0.100....

Thanks anyways.
Incorrect.

127.0.0.1/8 is used as a loopback address range and should never appear on the internet anywhere (127.0.0.1 is a shortcut to saying the local servers IP address).

192.168.0.100 is a private IP range and is once again never to be seen on the internet, only on intranets/LAN/WANs.

The error was most likely due to you trying to specify the server use an IP that it does not have bound or "access to".
Plasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:26 PM   #25
Icecius

Exclamation ERROR WITH THIS TOPIC!!

Ok... so I did everything as far as setting up to run multiple games. The problem I am having is this... When the game starts it knows to exec the server1.cfg file but because it is setup to auto exec the server.cfg file upon map end of map it will NOT load the server1.cfg file. Soooo the default setting stored in your server1.cfg file will not be reloaded upon map change. So say your default for alltalk is off, then you turn it on in the game via rcon. Then the map changes... all talk will still be on because the default setting could not be loaded!! It keeps trying to find the normal "server.cfg" file, even though you set it up to execute the server1.cfg in your shorcut. The shortcut is JUST to intiate the game sequence, after that something else takes over.

My question now is how do I specify to the game that EVERY map change load the server1.cfg????????

I have posted on many forums about this problem, and in hopes that someone can give me an answer.

Thanks,
Old 08-12-2005, 06:10 AM   #26
Icecius

It has to do with the shortcut target. Even though you add +server1.cfg in it you need to also specify the file name to execute all the time. I do not know the correct syntax but I think it might be something like +servercfgfile server1.cfg or maybe +serverfile server1.cfg

Either way you have to specify the file name to use or is associated with the new server1 configs! This also includes the new file names for you mapcycle, and your motd file. To place them inside your server cfg file is wrong. Although it might work for your mapcycle and motd files... your server file will always be messed up. Its best to set the nominal file names to be ran with the game within your target field of your game shortcut.

I just wish I new the right syntax to do this with!!! Can anyone answer that???

Thanks,
Old 09-04-2005, 09:54 AM   #27
browngb

Quote:
Originally posted by Plasma
Incorrect.

127.0.0.1/8 is used as a loopback address range and should never appear on the internet anywhere (127.0.0.1 is a shortcut to saying the local servers IP address).

192.168.0.100 is a private IP range and is once again never to be seen on the internet, only on intranets/LAN/WANs.

The error was most likely due to you trying to specify the server use an IP that it does not have bound or "access to".
I am getting that error, and I have access to that IP. My box is behind a firewall with the IP of 192.168.0.4 and the router has 12.208.96.xx. If I give it the external IP, it gives me the UDP error, but if I give it the internal IP, it locks up trying to allocate the port. Any ideas how to fix this? I've got the same problem on two different boxes, one AMD the other Intel.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:32 AM   #28
Bones_TAW

You probably need to do some port forwarding.

Home routers do NAT Network Address Translation. So, you have one internet IP like 12.208.96.xx, but 1 or more PCs with private addresses liek 192.168.0.4 or 192.168.0.5 etc.

Your PC thinks its address is 192.168.0.4, check it by opening a command tool and typing "ipconfig".

The internet thinks your ip address is 12.208.96.xx, check it by going to http://ipchicken.com

You need to tell your router that any traffic that comes into the HL2 server (default port 27015) should go to the correct PC. This is usually done in some web setup for port forwarding. When a gamer on the internet sends traffic to 12.208.96.xx on port 27015, your router forwards it to your PC @ 192.168.04 and everyone is happy.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:52 AM   #29
SkyHawk

Hi People,

As i have seen, some people have problems with this Segment Faults, there is just one solution, you have to delete the InstallRecord.blob file and retry it.

The problem is, that some people copy this file of a friends server and then Steam is unable to work through this file.

SKyHawk
Old 09-25-2005, 08:59 AM   #30
2sucres

hi people

Just one question

Is it possible to have different directory for each server linux in multiplayer configuration ??

and if possible without install a game for each team

cause we bought a server for multi-team configuration and we dont know how to have seperate directory for team

so , if sombody have a link or can help us this will be helpfull

Thx

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Linux)