Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
BS_1
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 4075
Posts: 3,343
Exclamation Sure is BSOD's around here.

For about a month now I've been having what seem like random Blue Screen's of Death's. I started writing them down because there have been quite a variety of them. They seem to be spread out as well. I had gone about a week without a BSOD before today where I seem to have gotten three (all different ones).

BSOD count:
0x1A (2)
0x3B
0x4E (5)
0x7E (2)
0xC2
0xD1

I can't remember what I was doing when each of these BSOD's occurred, but this is what I can remember. Once at the end of a Dota 2 game, a few times while playing Minecraft, and other times while just watching Youtube videos.

My computer:
Motherboard = Gigabyte 970A-D3
Processor = AMD FX-8120
Video Card = Sapphire HD5850
Power Supply = Corsair 750TX
Hard Drive = Samsung 1TB
Hard Drive = Western Digital 500GB
RAM = 2x4GB AMD RAM (AP38G1608U2K)
OS = Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Sound Card = Omega Striker 7.1

Any help or guidance is appreciated!

Edit: I'm not sure if it's even related, but last night I could play Team Fotress 2 fine, now it stops responding during the Valve logo.
Edit 2: Left 4 Dead 2, Dota 2, CS:GO don't launch either. Non-Source games seem to launch fine.
Edit 3: Games now work after a restart.
Edit 4: I forgot to mention I had tried Memtest a week or so ago. I had left the test on for 24 hours with no errors.

Last edited by BS_1: 09-17-2012 at 06:38 PM.
BS_1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
BS_1
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 4075
Posts: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbox View Post
I didn't think of updating the BIOS! I had done it when I first got my motherboard, but I guess there were some new ones already. I will update the thread if I have any more problems. It may be a while like I said, it might not happen for a few days. Source games are now working, that may just have fixed itself with the restart though.

I will try the hotfixes that Bad_Motha posted. I had not done that yet.

I will look at the thread more in case I missed anything that might help. Thank you.
BS_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
BS_1
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 4075
Posts: 3,343
I just got another 0x4E while on Firefox. I wasn't watching any videos; just going through forums and downloading some things. I read through that thread and I'm not really sure what else would help. Our issues aren't the same either, it seems. He was getting a BSOD when he started his computer; I'm not. We might not even be getting the same kind of BSOD.

Edit: I forgot to mention I had tried Memtest a week or so ago. I had left the test on for 24 hours with no errors.

Last edited by BS_1: 09-08-2012 at 09:31 AM.
BS_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
rotNdude
 
rotNdude's Avatar
 
Volunteer Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Reputation: 10538
Posts: 46,551
You should really post the dump file info. You can read the full info with this tool I think

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

If you ran memtest, did you run it with just one RAM module at a time?
rotNdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
BS_1
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 4075
Posts: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotNdude View Post
You should really post the dump file info. You can read the full info with this tool I think

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

If you ran memtest, did you run it with just one RAM module at a time?
I did not. I can do that later tonight however. For now I put in some older RAM that I kept for occasions like this. I've been getting too many blue screens today. If they stop, it just points towards the RAM then.

I only have one 'minidump' for some reason. I can't upload it now, but I can give you this information:

090812-20701-01.dmp
9/8/2012 9:02:27 AM
PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
0x0000004e
00000000`00000099
00000000`000c87c5
00000000`00000003
00000000`000bbb60
ntoskrnl.exe
ntoskrnl.exe+7f1c0
NT Kernel & System
Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Microsoft Corporation
6.1.7601.17835 (win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030) x64
ntoskrnl.exe+7f1c0
C:\Windows\Minidump\090812-20701-01.dmp 8 15 7601 277,040
BS_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
BS_1
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 4075
Posts: 3,343
So, I ran memtest three different times since I last posted. 9 hours for one stick, 10 hours for another stick, then 20 hours for both sticks at once again. None of those times I got errors. I left the RAM in, and haven't had any BSOD yet, which is odd. I really have no clue as to what caused them now. (Well, I didn't have much of an idea before either.) Now, the mini dump info from above is (what I believe) all of the information from the minidump I have. I still only have one minidump as my computer hasn't crashed since then.

If my computer crashes again I will update the thread with the blue screen code. If you think I should still upload the .dmp file, I will do so. I could always wait until it crashes again and I should get another .dmp file, right? This has been an odd help thread, but I thank you nonetheless.
BS_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
fincher234
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 2,430
I'd leave that other ram in for a while and see, rather than relying on a ram test.
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
BS_1
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 4075
Posts: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by fincher234 View Post
I'd leave that other ram in for a while and see, rather than relying on a ram test.
I think this would be a wise decision, because I just got another BSOD with my new RAM in (0x4E). I'll leave my older RAM in for a few days and see how things go.
BS_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
madef224
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 124
Posts: 285
Try using WhoCrashed to analyze your dump file, it will list the file/s that caused the crash. This will give you a place to start looking for the cause, in case it's a driver rather than a hardware problem.

I would also run windows in a clean boot enviroment for a while to see if it's a 3rd party service or program causing the issue.
(memtest is not failing your memory, so I'm leaning toward a driver/program/service causing the error)

Quote:
I only have one 'minidump' for some reason.
Make sure the option to overwrite any existing file option isn't selected under your Startup and Recovery settings.
madef224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:35 AM   #10
HL2-4-Life
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Reputation: 953
Posts: 7,238
While I have absolutely no issue running an FX8120 + Asus Crosshair V Formula combo + patches, I recall a friend in another forum having issue after issue with an FX8150 + GB mobo (can't recall model or series number exactly, but it was a 970/990 series, not the older ones).

To TS, have you installed the BD patches yet?
HL2-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
BS_1
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 4075
Posts: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by madef224 View Post
Try using WhoCrashed to analyze your dump file, it will list the file/s that caused the crash. This will give you a place to start looking for the cause, in case it's a driver rather than a hardware problem.

I would also run windows in a clean boot enviroment for a while to see if it's a 3rd party service or program causing the issue.
(memtest is not failing your memory, so I'm leaning toward a driver/program/service causing the error)

Make sure the option to overwrite any existing file option isn't selected under your Startup and Recovery settings.
I have changed my settings to not overwrite the older file! Thank you. I have also installed this program and it looked through the dump file:

Quote:
Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 9/12/2012 1:17:10 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091112-25630-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7F1C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x452F9, 0x2, 0x118CF8)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 9/12/2012 1:17:10 AM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe(nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0x452F9, 0x2, 0x118CF8)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 9/8/2012 2:00:42 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\090812-20701-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7F1C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0xC87C5, 0x3, 0xBBB60)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.
Since installing my other set of RAM (2x2GB) I haven't gotten any BSOD. But, since I've disabled the overwriting of .dmp files, should I install my other RAM to see if I can pinpoint for sure if it's the RAM or a driver/etc problem? Since the weekend is coming up I will have more time to mess around with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL2-4-Life View Post
While I have absolutely no issue running an FX8120 + Asus Crosshair V Formula combo + patches, I recall a friend in another forum having issue after issue with an FX8150 + GB mobo (can't recall model or series number exactly, but it was a 970/990 series, not the older ones).

To TS, have you installed the BD patches yet?
I have installed the patches.
BS_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
madef224
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 124
Posts: 285
Quote:
Since installing my other set of RAM (2x2GB) I haven't gotten any BSOD. But, since I've disabled the overwriting of .dmp files, should I install my other RAM to see if I can pinpoint for sure if it's the RAM or a driver/etc problem? Since the weekend is coming up I will have more time to mess around with this.
I would (especially if They are still returnable).

I would run the bootable version of memtest rather than the windows version, (that way windows doesn't get in the way of the tests). Run it for a couple of hours, if the memory doesn't pass, replace it. If it passes, boot into windows open msconfig and go to the services tab. Click the hide all microsoft services and then disable any left in the list. now go over to the startup tab, and disable everything on that list. Reboot the system and Windows is now in a Clean Boot State, try to reproduce the errors now. If you don't get errors, you can start adding the startups and 3rd party services back one at a time, until you get a bsod.

FYI: If you are overclocking the system, reset to stock speeds before running the above. (this will elimante an unstable overclock as the problem).

PS. I noticed you posted the errors seem to occur during games or videos. You can try updating video drivers (or if they are the latest, reinstalling them) and/or dropping back to a previous driver version. (just a thought).

Last edited by madef224: 09-13-2012 at 08:17 PM.
madef224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Bad_Motha
 
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 3208
Posts: 13,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by madef224 View Post
I would run the bootable version of memtest rather than the windows version, (that way windows doesn't get in the way of the tests).
FYI, Windows does not run when you are running "Windows Memory Diagnostics". Even when ran from Windows, it only runs after a reboot. Which then the test is run without any OS running. So your point here is mute.

Whenever you run "Windows Memory Diagnostics", that application is actually ran off of the hidden "System Reserved" partition. Not the main OS partition. Which is located here...

(Driver Letter)
(System Reserved)
> Boot
>> memtest.exe

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 09-14-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
madef224
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 124
Posts: 285
Nice to know Bad_Motha, in 15 years I've never run Memtest from windows, I've always used the dos version I keep on my diagnostic cd.
madef224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
BS_1
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 4075
Posts: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by madef224 View Post
I would (especially if They are still returnable).

I would run the bootable version of memtest rather than the windows version, (that way windows doesn't get in the way of the tests). Run it for a couple of hours, if the memory doesn't pass, replace it. If it passes, boot into windows open msconfig and go to the services tab. Click the hide all microsoft services and then disable any left in the list. now go over to the startup tab, and disable everything on that list. Reboot the system and Windows is now in a Clean Boot State, try to reproduce the errors now. If you don't get errors, you can start adding the startups and 3rd party services back one at a time, until you get a bsod.

FYI: If you are overclocking the system, reset to stock speeds before running the above. (this will elimante an unstable overclock as the problem).

PS. I noticed you posted the errors seem to occur during games or videos. You can try updating video drivers (or if they are the latest, reinstalling them) and/or dropping back to a previous driver version. (just a thought).
I use Memtest86+ when testing my memory.

I installed my newer RAM again, and I also reinstalled my video drivers. So far I haven't had any problems. I'm not going to get hopeful and say it was the video drivers; not yet at least. I'll leave the RAM in and try to stress my computer as long as possible. I actually ran Prime95 for four hours today on top of my normal computer use. I thought that might help test.

If I get another BSOD I will update the thread as usual.
BS_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.