Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Souls

Old 09-10-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
Claves_Mortis

Question Dark Souls executable has stopped working and will be closed

Hi there,

I got a problem which will not let me play the game. I could not find a solution for this problem in Steam forums or using google. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Short version: Every time I pick New Game OR the PC Settings from main menue I will get the message that Dark Souls executable stopped working and will be closed. I have (as always with this message) the option to close or close and check for solutions online (which does not bring any solution at all).

Long version: When I pick New Game I will continue to the screen where one can adjust the brightness (showing the flame and the dragon picture, telling you to move the slider until the dragon is not visible). That works. Pressing OK brings me to the next screen where some options can be set (Volume of music, effects, settings for Blood, etc.). As soon as I click OK in this screen the game closes with the mentioned error message.

When I pick PC Settings from the main menue the game closes right away, showing the same error message.

System I got:
I am playing on
* Steam version of the game
* Notebook (Asus G71Vseries)
* Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2, 32 Bit
* GeForce 9700M GT, Driver version 301.42 (newest)
* Display refresh rate 62 Hz
* Windows Live Offline Account (which I did use successfully for GTA 4 and L.A. Noire)

EDIT#1:
If it helps anybody, here is the detailed information which the error gives me:
Problemsignatur:
Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
Anwendungsname: DATA.exe
Anwendungsversion: 1.0.0.1
Anwendungszeitstempel: 50090197
Fehlermodulname: DATA.exe
Fehlermodulversion: 1.0.0.1
Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 50090197
Ausnahmecode: c0000005
Ausnahmeoffset: 0083d64c
Betriebsystemversion: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
Zusatzinformation 1: fd00
Zusatzinformation 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Zusatzinformation 3: fd00
Zusatzinformation 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Last edited by Claves_Mortis: 09-10-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Claves_Mortis

[Reserving Post #2. Will post the working solution here for others if the problem can be solved]

In my case the problem obviously is my (notebook's) display. I can only set the display refresh rate to 60 Hz via custom resolution which does not solve the problem.

As I connected another display to my notebook which runs at 60 Hz I could both, enter the PC settings and start a game.

Although this is not a satisfying solution for me as I do not own an extra display I can use it still might be a helpful advice for those who have an extra display.

Important thing seems to be: set the display refresh rate of the display to 60 Hz! In some cases (as mine) that might not work / 60 Hz is not supported although it is possible to set 60 Hz in the settings, so if you have the same problem, try another display at 6o Hz if you can!

Hope that helps at least for some. Thanks for the advices and hints which you guys have been offering!

Best,
CM

Last edited by Claves_Mortis: 09-10-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Claves_Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
Raigavin

Check if you have gone through this FAQ -> http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/....php?t=2900179

Its one of the sticky page/topics.

Else: Create a steam backup of the game, and then try verify game cache.
After that you could try reinstalling "Games For Windows Live" setup.
Raigavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Claves_Mortis

* I did go through the FAQ, but none of the steps did help my problem.

* I did verify the game cache integrety, everytime I do this (did do that befor several times, too) I get the message that 1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired. On the next attempt to start the game I get the "Performing first time setup"-thing which is "Installing: Microsoft Games for Windows - Live redist package st..." (cant read the rest), but it does not change anything about the problem eather.

* As I did always use an offline account (for GTA4 and L.A. Noire) until now I wanted to create an online-account to see if that helps, so I registered at Windows Live and can login in the browser, but not in Games Live itself. As far as I found information the problem is the missing gamer tag, but if I log into xbox.com and add the gamer tag my browser keeps working after clicking on "I agree, continue" until I get the message "Oops, that should not have happend! You found a problem in our system." - but no advice or steps to solve or report that problem is given. Is it possible that Dark Souls keep crashing because I try using an offline account in Games Live? As described I failed to create / finish the online account...
Old 09-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
DarkyErinyes

I can definately tell you that it does not crash because of your offline account. I recently created one for myself and I can log-in fine once I get to the selection of the accounts ( I do own an online one too though ).

Also the menu that will appear after the brightness and audio/misc settings is the "PC settings" dialog ( the same one you can pick through the menu ). Is it possible for you to set your display to 60Hz instead of 62? Because I cannot remember seeing an option to set to higher than 60, perhaps the game checks for an "invalid" value and crashes. This is of course only speculation at this point but maybe that'll help you.

If you'd like to reinstall the LIVE stuff use this one:

LIVE Essentials

However please uninstall anything related to "Games for Windows" and/or "Games for Windows - Live" to avoid any kind of problems.

There are some additional applications that will be installed with this package but you can remove those later. This is just to make sure that your LIVE content will be installed correctly. Hopefully once this is done LIVE runs and you can create your account. If not - well then you can be sure it's not a LIVE problem most likely.

EDIT:

Also check out this thread:

here

Seems to be the same problem. I suppose that the refresh rate is indeed your issue.

Last edited by DarkyErinyes: 09-10-2012 at 06:24 AM.
DarkyErinyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
DAOWAce

Quote:
* Display refresh rate 62 Hz
Wut?

Are you using any programs that inject an overlay on the screen? (FRAPS, Dxtory, Xfire, Steam, etc.) If so, disable them!

Xfire used to crash Dark Souls in the same exact way, but I just found out that it works again, probably because Xfire modified d3d9.dll and Durante's fix used it too, but now it uses a dinput8.dll which made them compatible. Shame I found out about this after I put 20 hours into the game.
DAOWAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Claves_Mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAOWAce View Post
Wut?

Are you using any programs that inject an overlay on the screen? (FRAPS, Dxtory, Xfire, Steam, etc.) If so, disable them!
Why the "Wut?" about the refresh rate? Is there a problem / something I should change for Dark Souls?

I do have Fraps (but not started / active) and Steam. I guess I can't close Steam because I own and run Dark Souls on Steam.

After closing every program in the task bar which I could close I still have running
* Free AVira AntiVir (tried realtime scanner disabled and enabled)
* Steam (for mentioned reason)
* a notification about Windows Updates
* the Bluetooth-Symbol
* Realtek Audio Manager

Still nothing changed about the problem.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
DarkyErinyes

Yes, there is a problem about the refresh rate.

I am going to post this again since it seems maybe the edit was too late in order for you to read it.

Quote:
Also check out this thread:

here

Seems to be the same problem. I suppose that the refresh rate is indeed your issue.
I am unsure how to fix this but perhaps searching - since you know what the problem is now - for a specific solution might be more helpful.

Last edited by DarkyErinyes: 09-10-2012 at 06:47 AM.
DarkyErinyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 AM   #9
Claves_Mortis

I did try to change my display refresh rate to 60 Hz (which did set color depth to 16 Bit, but that shouldn't be a problem I guess) in the Nvidia Settings. It obviously does accept 60 Hz too, but the game still crashes at the same two points. For connecting another monitor I have to take one of another PC, will propably try that next.

Concerning the refresh rate: What would be good / needed to set it to? My notebooks native resolution is 1920x1200 which accepts 62Hz at 32bit color depth or 60Hz at 16bit color depth.
I can also try setting "Custom resolution" with other refresh rates, but I'm not sure if that works. Would be a try if ome could tell me the needed refresh rate and resolution for Dark Souls (the game is starting in windowed mode on my notebook).
Old 09-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
DAOWAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claves_Mortis View Post
I guess I can't close Steam because I own and run Dark Souls on Steam.
You can disable the overlay selectively by going into the game's properties in the Steam list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claves_Mortis View Post
Concerning the refresh rate: What would be good / needed to set it to? My notebooks native resolution is 1920x1200 which accepts 62Hz at 32bit color depth or 60Hz at 16bit color depth.
You can cycle through 16/32bit ingame, just gotta keep going one direction until you get to them. I didn't even realize I was at 16bit when I first started playing because I cycled right until it jumped up. For some reason the option is going backwards (left = higher res, right = lower).

As for your display only having 16bit in Windows at 60Hz, something's wrong. Are you sure you can't select it from a drop down menu? If not, then just set a custom resolution in the NVCP with 32bpp.

Granted, this probably won't fix your crashing issue. I'd say make sure you have all actual Windows updates installed (like the platform update for Vista; anything that actually updates functionality/compatibility for the OS), make sure all VC++ updates are installed for 2005/2008/2010. Make sure all .net is updated (to 3.5 at the least; I use v4 since it's required by some apps).

Edit: Just realized you have a 32bit OS. Might be affecting things, might not.

Worst case, this could be caused by having a mobile or old GPU.

Last edited by DAOWAce: 09-10-2012 at 08:47 AM.
DAOWAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Claves_Mortis

* Oh right, I forgot to mention: I disabled the in-game Steam overlay UI, too. Did not bring any change :S

* There is a dropdown menue in the NVidia System Settings, but it only shows 62 Hz and 60 Hz. If I switch to 60 Hz the color depth is set to 16bit automatically. If I re-set to 32bit the refresh rate is set back to 62 Hz. I will try a custom resolution with 32bit color depth and 60 Hz now.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #12
Claves_Mortis

First try to set a custom resolution at 1920x1200, 31bit color depth and 60 Hz refresh rate broght the message, that these settings are not supported by my display. At the same time the drop-down menue of the refresh rate did only show 62 Hz for alle resolutions and color depths available.
After restarting the PC I could set the custom resolution in the NVidia System Settings with exactly the same data entered and in the other Hz-settings reappeared in the dropdown menue, but after setting 60 Hz the game will still crash. I again checked for updates for the driver, but none are available.

I have no idea why the settings are limited in this way and especially why they are not consistent as they should be - if the system says "this setting is not supported" it should never be, but the restart (whatever that did change) made them available - game still not working though - again. I have no clue at all what the problem of the game / my system could be, but things are not developing in a delightful way
Old 09-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
Claves_Mortis

Outcome / solution of the problem: see post #2 of this thread.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Souls