Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 09-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Danenelvin

Could anyone give me some affordable computer upgrading advice?

I'm looking to upgrade and I don't know to much about what's good and what's not, or even where to really start. So I was wondering if maybe the steam forum users could help me try to figure out where to start and point me toward some cheap/affordable upgrades? Attempting to get my computer a bit more gaming orientated, all I've been told is my graphics card is a little weak?

I apologize if this isn't everything, when it comes to the inner workings of my computer and finding specs and all that, I'm not very bright or knowledgable.

Specs are:

System Model: Studio XPS 8100
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8120MB RAM
Page File: 6611MB used, 9625MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GT 220
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0A20&SUBSYS_069A10DE&REV_A2
Display Memory: 4050 MB
Dedicated Memory: 978 MB
Shared Memory: 3071 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Old 09-12-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
ACJCLIGHTNING

GTX 690..........

well you never said your budget, that would be and important part.

I also don't see a power supply, which is The number one most important thing when upgrading.

I am far from an expert on desktop computers, but from what I see. You processor is fine, but the graphics card is getting pretty old. so if your asking what to upgrade, it would be the graphics.
ACJCLIGHTNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
wildfire678

Upgrading your Gfx may be a start but perhaps you could enlighten us on what gaming issues (including games) you have?

Personally if I were wanting an out and out gaming rig I'd go for a self build rather than a factory throw together.

Others most certainly will have different views, which brings me back to my question.

Last edited by wildfire678: 09-12-2012 at 04:04 PM.
wildfire678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Zodiark1593

Upgrade the graphics, and if need be, the PSU. Might I recommend a Radeon 7750?
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Danenelvin

Oh right, duh budget. I'm a dolt.

I'd like to do it all at once so 150$? maybe a little more.

How would I go about finding the power supply information?

I already have a factory thrown together and I don't have a bunch of money, my gaming issues aren't many or to problematic, low framerate here and there, newer games giving some trouble, nothing to dramatic or problematic just issues I'd like to make go away.
Danenelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #6
ACJCLIGHTNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danenelvin View Post
Oh right, duh budget. I'm a dolt.

I'd like to do it all at once so 150$? maybe a little more.

How would I go about finding the power supply information?

I already have a factory thrown together and I don't have a bunch of money, my gaming issues aren't many or to problematic, low framerate here and there, newer games giving some trouble, nothing to dramatic or problematic just issues I'd like to make go away.
I have been on these forums and this question is asked all the time.
I don't remember the exact details but...

Open up the case
find the thingy with the power supply info
give us exact make and model, along with info.

someone with more experience might be able to tell you the exact process, but I think I did good.
ACJCLIGHTNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Drann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJCLIGHTNING View Post
I have been on these forums and this question is asked all the time.
I don't remember the exact details but...

Open up the case
find the thingy with the power supply info
give us exact make and model, along with info.

someone with more experience might be able to tell you the exact process, but I think I did good.
The thingy? LoL

The PSU in that PC is 350w according to Dell. Not exactly fantastic, and probably not even a high quality unit. You could, as ACJLIGHTNING suggested open your case up and tell us what the sticker on the side of your PSU states - the ratings for the 12v + rail in paticular.
Drann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
zezzex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drann View Post
The thingy? LoL

The PSU in that PC is 350w according to Dell. Not exactly fantastic, and probably not even a high quality unit. You could, as ACJLIGHTNING suggested open your case up and tell us what the sticker on the side of your PSU states - the ratings for the 12v + rail in paticular.
Well, if he's looking to spend only $150 he probably wont be purchasing anything thats going to require more then a 350w psu. Even that cheap dell psu will be enough to handle any low end video card.

Plus, if you purchase a decent psu, you are looking at speding $100 to $150, and that leaves you no room to purchase a video card... I suggest just spending all your money on a video card, to get you by, then start saving all your money and plan on building your next computer in a few years.
zezzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #9
Drann

Quote:
Originally Posted by zezzex View Post
Well, if he's looking to spend only $150 he probably wont be purchasing anything thats going to require more then a 350w psu. Even that cheap dell psu will be enough to handle any low end video card.

Plus, if you purchase a decent psu, you are looking at speding $100 to $150, and that leaves you no room to purchase a video card... I suggest just spending all your money on a video card, to get you by, then start saving all your money and plan on building your next computer in a few years.
Not true at all, at least when talking about USD. You can get some solid budget (and by budget I mean from reputable companies) PSU's for around the $50 mark. That said, I do agree that he could upgrade without needing a new PSU. It is nice to know exactly what you're dealing with, however.

Something along the lines of a 6670 should work, and be a noticable improvement for very little money. A 7750 'should' just about manage with his setup, and can be had for just over $100 after rebate. Probably his best bet as it's a fairly decent improvement.

Last edited by Drann: 09-12-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Drann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Danenelvin

Sorry about not coming back with the power answer, but I haven't had the chance, chores to do and such, but the thing is I can afford both, I was just hoping to get the card next month. I'll be able to do both I just didn't put out my intentions, with that in mind should I get a better power source, then a card, or just start saving for a whole new thing and take what I can from this computer?
Danenelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
sharee511

Here'a an Antec Gamer 750 Watt power supply for $80.00 (US)

http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...Supply_HCG-750

And the video card a lot of people just got, including me.

http://www.microcenter.com/endeca/zo...nt_comping-jpg

You may be able to find them cheaper on NewEgg or Tiger Direct, but I have a Micro Center near my house and it's convenient.

Other than the video card and the PSU, with my 4 builds, I'd say it doesn't look too bad.

Last edited by sharee511: 09-12-2012 at 06:56 PM.
sharee511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
cannondale06

Banned
he does not need a 750 watt psu and can find a high quality 500-600 watt psu for cheaper. and a gtx550ti is not all that great either as a 7770 can be had for nearly the same price and is 30% faster and uses less power.

Last edited by cannondale06: 09-12-2012 at 08:05 PM.
cannondale06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
chaplain_wu

There's no need to rush. Find out what GPU you want, then find out what your power supply unit is. They usually have a sticker on the unit, and it's that piece at the back of your PC that has the power cord connected. Open up a panel and snap a picture.

Saving for a whole new PC isn't a bad idea , but you just end up doing what you need to do now and more, so ultimately you'll do the same things. You can always just buy a new motherboard and CPU if necessary in the future; your GPU would still be compatible.

For a GPU I would buy at the least a GTX670. Anything lower and it's basically not tailored for gamers.

The thing with buying a GPU that would draw more power than your PSU can handle is that you risk damaging the rest of your computer.
chaplain_wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
workthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaplain_wu View Post
There's no need to rush. Find out what GPU you want, then find out what your power supply unit is. They usually have a sticker on the unit, and it's that piece at the back of your PC that has the power cord connected. Open up a panel and snap a picture.

Saving for a whole new PC isn't a bad idea , but you just end up doing what you need to do now and more, so ultimately you'll do the same things. You can always just buy a new motherboard and CPU if necessary in the future; your GPU would still be compatible.

For a GPU I would buy at the least a GTX670. Anything lower and it's basically not tailored for gamers.

The thing with buying a GPU that would draw more power than your PSU can handle is that you risk damaging the rest of your computer.
660ti is entry level. gtx670 is mid-high end.
workthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #15
cannondale06

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by workthis View Post
660ti is entry level. gtx670 is mid-high end.
lol, gtx660 ti is NOT entry level. entry level is the gt640.
cannondale06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems