Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 09-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
teet

How to get rid of that annoying dialog?

While playing any level, when i press accidentially "R", what is very close to other useful keys (E, W), some weird menu with thumb up, down, and help buttons. I cannot close that dialog, only rotate arrow in the middle with mouse, and no keyboard or mouse button reacts to clicks. If I press ESC, i can access to game menu and restart level or go to main menu, but I cannot continue current game. Sometimes level restart helps, but other cases that menu reappears and I can only look around, and only way to start everything again, is quit from game and start it again.

That is really annoying. I tried to search from web about it, but I even do not know, how to call this dialog. And seems, that it is not part of this game, or that R button is not configurable in game options.

Screenshot is here.

Link: Portal 2 weird menu
Old 09-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Ravoria

I'm no expert but that looks like Gesture; you could try minding that in controls and configuring it far far away from the keys you use. Could be a real glitch, though,so Valve will have to fix it
Ravoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
LPChip

this has been asked like 10 times before now. Don't people search?
LPChip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
teet

I asked it in some forums, but nobody even replied to that problem, so I went deeper and registered to that forum. So be kind, normally I do not ask things I can google.
teet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Crossing2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by teet View Post
I asked it in some forums, but nobody even replied to that problem, so I went deeper and registered to that forum. So be kind, normally I do not ask things I can google.
But you did this time, which is what matters.
Crossing2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #6
teet

So, back to business, please give some forum link about that topic.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Alexander Bell

Open the console (keyboard options -> Enable Developer Console, press ~) and type "unbind r". R might become re bound, but I don't think it will. If it does, create a file called "autoexec.cfg" and type "unbind r" into that, and put it in your Portal 2 folder.
Alexander Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #8
Zeigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPChip View Post
this has been asked like 10 times before now. Don't people search?
This has been asked like 1000 times before now. Of course they don't.
Zeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
Tank420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeigh View Post
This has been asked like 1000 times before now. Of course they don't.
Now hang on just a sec, now i'm not saying this is the case this time, i haven't looked or searched for this on this forum, but i have before now, searched and searched and searched for answer to only find i had worded it slightly differently than previous forum posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teet View Post
But I even do not know, how to call this dialog. And seems, that it is not part of this game, or that R button is not configurable in game options.
this suggests to me that Teet's first language isn't english, i.e. 'how to call this dialog' i believe they mean to say, 'i don't know what this dialog is called' so what do you suggest they search for, 'Random Dialog pop up' is that really gonna help.

Lets not be so quick to judge, and perhaps keep in the spirit of the forum and try to help.

I assume that the unbind R trick will probably work, but if one of the many people who have obviously had experience with this before when they've seen the 1000's of posts about it, could possibly give some advice.

Last edited by Tank420: 09-14-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Tank420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
teet

Hahaa, I ask and solve this question myself. Go to options and assign "R" to some unassigned action, for example "turn left", and this weird dialog does not appear again when pressing R.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2