Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
z0mghii

i7-2620qm vs i7-2670qm

Okay this is interesting.

I sent my laptop (HP 8460p) to HP for warranty and they decided to replace my CPU. And instead of giving me my old CPU (Core i7-2620QM, top of the line dual core) they gave me a Core i7-2670QM, bottom of the line quad core.

It's definitely a lot faster than my old cpu, but I have not tested how the battery life will be affected by this.

What do you guys think? Should i keep the upgrade or turn back to the dual core for better battery life?

The only game I play is DotA 2 and programming.
My graphics card in the laptop is a HD 6470m
Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
Bad_Motha

Banned
Comparing the two CPU spec-sheets, based off Intel's website, the QUAD should still be the better choice. For better battery life, set the Power Profile in Control Panel to Balanced and leave it there. Unless u want even longer battery life, but not going to run any DirectX/OpenGL type games, then you could select Power Saver profile. And then check within the BIOS settings to see if Intel SpeedStep option can be toggled. If it can, make sure it's Enabled and leave that on. This way the CPU will down-clock when not under heavy usage, thus prolonging the battery life cycle. Also check the AMD Catalyst settings and setup the GPU to run at Max Performance on AC Power, and Minimal/Power Saver when on Battery Power. This way your Graphics Processor will down-clock ALOT more when not in heavy use. If you want to play demanding DirectX/OpenGL games while running on battery though, you may need to override the Catalyst settings and set it to Max Performance while on Battery Power, in order for games to run at optimal performance while running on Battery.

But just by the change in CPU alone, no I don't think it should impact your overall battery life cycle much, if at all.

Last edited by Bad_Motha: 09-14-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
fincher234

The power draw of those two chips isn't very different. I don't think it will make much difference. Whether you use your dedicated gpu or not is going to make a bigger difference.
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #4
TheProwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mghii View Post
What do you guys think? Should i keep the upgrade or turn back to the dual core for better battery life?
Keep the quad; or so at least that's what I'd do.. The impact on battery life should be minimal or barely noticeable.. The CPU will down clock itself when necessary (nothing much to do) or you can force it to run low most of the time by editing the power profiles.. The quad is the better performer especially in multitasking and software with multi-core support..
TheProwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
z0mghii

Gotcha, will be keeping the quad. Thanks guys!
z0mghii is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems