Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 09-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #16
CoffeeBean

How would one use or get a VPN? I'm gonna try it since I'm also in the UK (Hampshire ftw) are they safe?
Old 09-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #17
scatman839

I tried a VPN a few hours ago, a UK and US one, steam seems to refuse to connect now.

Not released for another month and a week in japan, super lame.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:02 AM   #18
justln

Try Spotflux.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #19
hahahehe

Ever heard the term

"Obtaining goods or services by deception or fraud"?

I would say changing your computers IP address for that of another country so you can play a game early would count as illegally obtaining a good through deception, and that is against the law.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #20
justln

Quote:
Originally Posted by hahahehe View Post
Ever heard the term

I would say changing your computers IP address for that of another country so you can play a game early would count as illegally obtaining a good through deception, and that is against the law.
Yes it's against Valve/Steam rules. Will Steam punish a customer? Have you heard of any confirmed cases of banned users over VPN unlocking?
Old 09-16-2012, 05:58 AM   #21
{Yotsuba}

Have you heard of any confirmed cases of banned users over VPN unlocking?

Well... I seem to recall a fair few complaints from Australians who were given temp bans when they used VPNs to unlock the original Borderlands early. Of course, those posts have long since been purged from here.

At the end of the day, Valve reserve the right to prevent access to your Steam account if you use a VPN or any other method for any reason to connect to their network. You have to ask yourself whether it's worth the potential risk, especially if the wait is only 3 days for most of you.

But if you are going to do it, I'd suggest you put your client in offline mode (after activating the game) and then stay offline until the game is actually released in your region. I'd also suggest you not post about doing so on Valve's forums, as they can find your Steam account based on your forum account (especially if you've linked accounts) and take action against you, if they so wished.

Um, no. Obtaining goods would reference to actually purchasing the goods. If you purchased the goods from your own region with a valid payment source (i.e., non-stolen credit card), then you didn't obtain the goods fraudulently. Wording of laws like that don't take into account publisher imposed release dates for pre-purchased digital download items.

But again, that doesn't mean Valve won't disable your account for violating their terms.

Last edited by {Yotsuba}: 09-16-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #22
H4wkeye998

Quote:
Ever heard the term

You are talking nonsense and know nothing about law. How can you obtain something by deception or fraud when YOU PAID FOR IT AND BOUGHT IT. The only thing a VPN does in this case, it lets you play the game early, on North American release date, which a ton of people on Steam do all the time.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #23
ChaZcaTriX

Quote:
Ever heard the term

I'm russian.
I don't want to care about crap publishers with their horrible translations (I've corrected a lot of TF2's translation mistakes in russian, so I know what I mean).
And I'd gladly pay the full european/american price if I could.

And yet you think I should be banned for paying more?

Oh, and one last thing. By the russian laws, the publisher's actions are fraud, since you're not getting the advertised product. All my friends already cancelled their preorders on the game without problem.

Sorry 2K and Gearbox, not sorry at all SoftClub and 1C, you get no money from a lot of people and a lot of bad publicity.

Last edited by ChaZcaTriX: 09-16-2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 AM   #24
Kyorisu

Quote:
Notice the word obtained? The goods have already been obtained that is purchased.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #25
Flitser

So basicly everyone outside of the US who will pirate the game will get it before the people who actually bought it. Seems fair
Old 09-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #26
tonyruimy

So finally, is VPN a really bad idea, or may I use it to get Borderlands 2 3 days earlier without any trouble with Valve/Steam ?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #27
Cyrielx2

If you VPN to get it cheaper, you are dodging VAT.

If you are dodging VAT, you are committing fraud, and will be looked down upon.

While this is not nearly as big of a deal in the EU, you could very well expect to deal with the IRS if you're in the US depending on how severe it is. My advice is to not start with this at all.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #28
Flitser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrielx2 View Post
If you VPN to get it cheaper, you are dodging VAT.

If you are dodging VAT, you are committing fraud, and will be looked down upon.

While this is not nearly as big of a deal in the EU, you could very well expect to deal with the IRS if you're in the US depending on how severe it is. My advice is to not start with this at all.
It is not about buying the game cheaper it's about buying the game full price in europe and activating it 3 days earlier. Big difference
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #29
{Yotsuba}

So finally, is VPN a really bad idea, or may I use it to get Borderlands 2 3 days earlier without any trouble with Valve/Steam ?

That depends, do you want to risk losing your account over a 3 day wait? Sure, chances are good, that Valve won't even know you did it; but if they do discover you did and do decide to crack down, then you can't really argue with them. After all, you agreed to their EULA which states they can do just that. If you wish to contest that EULA, you'll be looking at a lengthy arbitration/legal proceeding which will certainly last longer than 3 days.

So, again, ask yourself if you think it's worth it. If your answer is yes, you do so at your own risk and must accept any potential outcome.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #30
tonyruimy

{Yotsuba} > Okay, so I won't use the VPN, I prefer to wait a bit and keep my games on my account
Thank you!!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands