Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 09-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
youraveragenerd

What is preloading?

Noobish question, but I'm not entirely sure. Does it mean you can download the completed product, but steam simply locks you out of it until the official release date, or does it just download core parts of the game, like the engine?
Old 09-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
plznote

Banned
Preloading just downloads the often finished game, and just doesn't let you play until release.
plznote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Abaris365

You download the entire game before release but you can only play it from the moment of official release. It will be encrypted until then.
Abaris365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
TheInsaneDump

It means you load before you load!
TheInsaneDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
12markkram34

Drinking before going to a party
12markkram34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
MADDOGGE

Downloads the majority of the game in encrypted form. At launch the rest of the game is downloaded and the game decrypted.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
phkuxato

It's for impatient suckers who pay near full price to pre-order games that might not even turn out to be good. Some are so impatient that they can't even wait a few extra hours on the release day to download content.
phkuxato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:03 AM   #8
graspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkuxato View Post
It's for impatient suckers who pay near full price to pre-order games that might not even turn out to be good. Some are so impatient that they can't even wait a few extra hours on the release day to download content.
Waiting a few hours is annoying if everyone on the internet is talking about that shiny new game, especially since you did pay that premium to get the game at launch.

Also you might want to rethink your scathing attitude towards those "impatient suckers". What do you think would happen to the PC market and prices if *absolutely no-one* bought the games at full price?
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:17 AM   #9
Padgey2011

the main benefits of preloading is the time it takes to download a big file say 10 or 15 gig if you have a slower internet connection may take hours, i remember when i had a slow connection a game i waited for got released on steam but then it actually took me about 8 hours to download it!!! so obviously being able to get the majority of the game downloaded and ready to play once it unlocks on the release date is very much a better way to go about it
Padgey2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Micepudding

It would be pretty cool if Steam allowed you to pre-load games you hadn't pre-ordered, especially right before a sale when you know there's games you'll pick up, but the download servers will be swamped.
Micepudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
TheInsaneDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by graspee View Post
Also you might want to rethink your scathing attitude towards those "impatient suckers". What do you think would happen to the PC market and prices if *absolutely no-one* bought the games at full price?
We'd see less $60 games that's for sure!
TheInsaneDump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #12
gontronix

It is a handy option to have

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkuxato View Post
I know this post is old but I came across it while coming across that option for the first time myself as I never pre-purchased a title before now.

This is simply a service Steam offers and you don't have to avail of it!

Not everybody is on a high-speed internet connection. Some users run a terrible connections. There is islands and even some mainland places in the world where signals are not possible to be very strong and speeds could be as low as a 56k modem used to give you. Those customers still download the single player games through Steam.

That is where the benefit lies within. For those users with very slow connection it makes a huge difference if they can pre-load the majority of the content 3-4 days ahead.
gontronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Nekomancer

This thread is about 11 months old. I don't think your input is any help right now.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
recrosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekomancer View Post
This thread is about 11 months old. I don't think your input is any help right now.
Neither is your jackassery. I got to this topic with a google search and it helped me regardless of how old it is.
recrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #15
Hopna

Quote:
Originally Posted by recrosse View Post
Neither is your jackassery. I got to this topic with a google search and it helped me regardless of how old it is.
Relax, my boy. Nekomancer was just saying that a necropost might not be really helpful anymore, as it's an old topic and the question has been answered already. That doesn't mean that an old topic can't be useful for somebody else anymore, but there's no point in replying anymore.
Hopna is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips