Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
gmodperson
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 140
Posts: 746
Help with choosing a laptop

Hi,

I'm currently looking for a laptop thats able to run things like Half life 2 - episode 2, in Max preferable, fine. As I'm going to be using Source SDK allot when I'm out using it, If its able to run better things such as Cry engine 3 would be a big bonus. Space isn't to much of an issue 400GB+ or around that is fine... But in a students price range £500+/-....

I'm not a laptop person, only getting one because of uni (On a game development course) so I don't know really what to look for. (Must be Windows Of course).

Thanks.

Last edited by gmodperson: 09-16-2012 at 04:41 PM.
gmodperson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #2
gmodperson
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Reputation: 140
Posts: 746
Wake up Bump.
gmodperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
sean_blaik
 
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Reputation: 74
Posts: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmodperson View Post
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a laptop thats able to run things like Half life 2 - episode 2, in Max preferable, fine. As I'm going to be using Source SDK allot when I'm out using it, If its able to run better things such as Cry engine 3 would be a big bonus. Space isn't to much of an issue 400GB+ or around that is fine... But in a students price range £500+/-....

I'm not a laptop person, only getting one because of uni (On a game development course) so I don't know really what to look for. (Must be Windows Of course).

Thanks.
£500 isn't gonna cut it you will nee somewhere between £700-£1000 for a good laptop. this site here has some good prices and you can select the components.

http://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/laptop-computers/4/
sean_blaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
fincher234
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmodperson View Post
Hi,

I'm currently looking for a laptop thats able to run things like Half life 2 - episode 2, in Max preferable, fine. As I'm going to be using Source SDK allot when I'm out using it, If its able to run better things such as Cry engine 3 would be a big bonus. Space isn't to much of an issue 400GB+ or around that is fine... But in a students price range £500+/-....

I'm not a laptop person, only getting one because of uni (On a game development course) so I don't know really what to look for. (Must be Windows Of course).

Thanks.
Do you have any particular companies you would prefer to do business with?
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
CityFeloN
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Reputation: 8
Posts: 143
With that price range, its pretty hard to find a good one.

But found one which is a bit more than your price range, but decent:
http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Batta..._Gaming_Laptop
CityFeloN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
caveman26
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Reputation: 2239
Posts: 4,625
http://www.ebuyer.com/366635-toshiba...skdme-004003en
- Intel Core i3-2350M 2.3GHz
- 4GB RAM + 500GB HDD
- 15.6" HD LED + AMD HD7670M
- Webcam + Bluetooth
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64
£475

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...M.69483.0.html
caveman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
ACJCLIGHTNING
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 696
Posts: 1,178
Im sorry, I want to help but I am clueless when it comes to foreign currencies.

Is that symbol a Euro or a pound? Ill google the exchange rates.
ACJCLIGHTNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Zodiark1593
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 362
Posts: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman26 View Post
http://www.ebuyer.com/366635-toshiba...skdme-004003en
- Intel Core i3-2350M 2.3GHz
- 4GB RAM + 500GB HDD
- 15.6" HD LED + AMD HD7670M
- Webcam + Bluetooth
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64
£475

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Rad...M.69483.0.html
For Source Engine, this one looks to be a winner. For CryEngine 3, it will probably struggle, but as I've never used anything stronger than a 6370M, I wouldn't know.

All I know is the Source SDK works well for my GPU, so that 7670 should mow right through it.
Zodiark1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
ACJCLIGHTNING
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 696
Posts: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiark1593 View Post
For Source Engine, this one looks to be a winner. For CryEngine 3, it will probably struggle, but as I've never used anything stronger than a 6370M, I wouldn't know.

All I know is the Source SDK works well for my GPU, so that 7670 should mow right through it.
notebookcheck says 30fps on high in crysis 2
ACJCLIGHTNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
fincher234
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 1198
Posts: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACJCLIGHTNING View Post
Im sorry, I want to help but I am clueless when it comes to foreign currencies.

Is that symbol a Euro or a pound? Ill google the exchange rates.
pound
fincher234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.