Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
mrdare

Red face Using VPN or Proxy to unlock early EU

Can I use a VPN or Proxy to unlock BL2 early if I stay in offline mode until it is released in the EU?
Old 09-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
san.salvador

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdare View Post
Can I use a VPN or Proxy to unlock BL2 early if I stay in offline mode until it is released in the EU?
You can.

Also Valve can ban your account for doing so. Maybe they do, maybe not.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
mrdare

Quote:
Originally Posted by san.salvador View Post
You can.

Also Valve can ban your account for doing so. Maybe they do, maybe not.
Seeming though they may ban my acc I will not do this.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Caliente

Quote:
Originally Posted by DhoomLord View Post
Valve has never banned anybody for unlocking the game early. People did it with Skyrim, and nothing happened at all to those people. Go ahead, use a Proxy. It's only when you buy games or attempt to activate CD keys out of region that Valve and steam get a little jaratey.
Sorry, but this is wrong.
They dont really care. But if the publisher does, then you are screwed. I know some people who have gotten their account locked by doing this.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
mrdare

I just submitted a ticket asking, hope to get an answer soon.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
san.salvador

Quote:
It is stated in the contract you signed with Valve. They likely will tell you to rtfc(ontract).
Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Caliente

Quote:
Its in the ToS and/or EULA.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
tonyruimy

Quote:
Did the same
Old 09-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Jasbro

I wouldnt submit a ticket, the last thread that asked this question got locked and a "Are you serious" post from a Valve mod, as much as i do believe the guys who say its fine to do it but only for unlocking a game you've already paid for early is safe but is frowned upon by Valve.

But for just a 3 day headstart personally i wouldn't chance it even though i so badly want to play it now, it just isn't worth the risk of you being one of the minority that gets caught and perma-banned.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
99Reaper99

Quote:
A. Payment Authorization
You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.
You can't. Doesn't matter what other people do. If you do you risk getting your account terminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasbro View Post
I wouldnt submit a ticket, the last thread that asked this question got locked and a "Are you serious" post from a Valve mod, as much as i do believe the guys who say its fine to do it but only for unlocking a game you've already paid for early is safe but is frowned upon by Valve.
Yes so use the search feature the next time. There's even a topic with a few pages on it currently active too, just some advice.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
anticitizen101

With all the mods hovering on these forums and just one locked (and one deleted) thread, you'd think they'd put up a sticky saying "USING A PROXY OR VPN TO ACTIVATE BORDERLANDS 2 WILL RESULT IN ACCOUNT SUSPENSION" or something.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
mrdare

Ah well, guess I'll just play FireFall until Friday.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
ElijahChondo43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahChondo43 View Post
Quote:
Seriously?
-BurtonJ
5Char
Old 09-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
Spadis

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticitizen101 View Post
With all the mods hovering on these forums and just one locked (and one deleted) thread, you'd think they'd put up a sticky saying "USING A PROXY OR VPN TO ACTIVATE BORDERLANDS 2 WILL RESULT IN ACCOUNT SUSPENSION" or something.
/Thread to be 100% honest.

Someone would have spoken up by now if there was an official answer.

As far as I can remember back when dead island came out, the only answer we ever got was a mixed signal response.
If gearbox have a problem with this id be very very surprised seeing how good there being to there fans, especially pc users.
Xbox and Ps3 users already have legit copies of there games, which is technically against the rules as its breaking the street date.
As far as people should be concerned, if there's no official answer by 5am GMT tomorrow, id imagine that there is going to be thousands of people using vpn's to unlock the game.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
shivars

It *is* frowned upon, and it *is* probably against the ToS

but I've never heard of anyone actually getting banned for unlocking a game early using a VPN to get an IP in a different country.

I *have* heard many reports of people getting banned doing this to *buy* a game not otherwise available in their region...but not for just unlocking early.

Caliente - you know people who've been banned for doing this? (early unlock - *not* buying)

At the end of the day, regional release dates suck. badly. It's not Valve's fault that they have to do this - complain at the publishers.

I am NOT recommending that anyone do anything against the ToS - at the end of the day it's only a few days to wait. An unjust and unfair and lame few days, but just a few days. the world won't end if you wait.

Also, if you all do it, Valve will have to get harsher - because they will be obligated to enforce the rule they had to apply. Nobody wants Gabe to get angry

S
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands