Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 09-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
gambiteer

Question Civ 5 Steam Won't Start

When I click Play, a window opens asking if I would like to play with DirectX 9 or DirectX 10/11. Regardless of what I choose, nothing happens. When I try to log out of Steam it says the game is running so I can't log out.

This happened to me previously with Batman: Arkham City and I resolved it by killing steam.exe via task manager, logging back in, and then B:AC worked fine.

However, Steam automatically logged me back in this time (I can't log out manually because it says Civ 5 is running). So, in order to log out, I killed the Civilization process via task manager first (which is strange because nothing related to Civ 5 appeared to be running). After logging back in, expecting it to be fixed (like B:AC), it still wouldn't start up.

My PC can definitely run this game: Intel i5 3570k, GTX 660 Ti, 8 GB RAM.

I updated my drivers, reinstalled DirectX, restarted my PC, yet it still doesn't work. It doesn't work if I run it out of steam, with the civ executable file, either.

Update 1:
After reinstalling Civilization on my computer, it works in Directx 9 mode but not Directx 10/11. I searched how to reinstall Directx 10/11 but apparently you can't??

Update 2:
After quitting Civ and trying to open it up again it won't even open in Directx9, changing absolutely nothing.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
gambiteer

Just clarifying, every time I launch this game Civ starts up, asking if I want DirectX 9 or 10/11. After I choose one, nothing happens.
gambiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
gambiteer

From the Civ 5 Troubleshoot Thread (http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1440616)

All of the solutions related to my problem did not work:

Quote:
10# Civilization V Failed to Launch
If you have tried launching the game after installation and nothing happens, any error occurs, you can try these workarounds to fix the launch issues of the game
1. Restart Steam.
2. Restart Computer.
3. Go the folder and launch the application directly.
4. Validate integrity of game cache.
If that Doesn’t work, try this.
Go the folder in your steam index/common/civilization v
delete the Type. file “srcds_run” and then re-validate the integrity of game cache.
There is no file named "srcds_run" in that directory.

Quote:
11# Broken DirectX 10 DirectX 11 Launcher Fix
If you get DirectX error on running the launcher. In order to fix that go to properties of Steam.exe and ensure that ‘Compatability mode’ is turned off.
Click ‘Change settings for all users’ in order to un-grey the Compatibility mode, but after that everything will work perfectly fine.
It wasn't set to compatibility mode.

Quote:
19# DirectX 9, DirectX 10, DirectX 11 Permanent Fix
Install “DXSetup.exe” from steamapps\common\sid meier’s civilization v\directx and it will resolve all your DirectX problems.
I installed it but it did not resolve the issue.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
azzonie

Did you verify install files?
azzonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
gambiteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzonie View Post
Did you verify install files?
Just did, and it said "1 files failed to validate and will be reacquired." I restarted Steam and clicked Play. It seemed to be doing a re-installation. However, both choices still did not result in the game appearing.

Edit: I verified the files again after that result ^^^^ and it said the same thing about the 1 file failing to validate.

Last edited by gambiteer: 09-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:42 PM   #6
99Reaper99

Sounds like a background process could be messing with it. Which is a pain to narrow down.

Try going through your processes and killing off non-essential stuff, including any overclocking software, AV, etc.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
99Reaper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #7
gambiteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Reaper99 View Post
Sounds like a background process could be messing with it. Which is a pain to narrow down.

Try going through your processes and killing off non-essential stuff, including any overclocking software, AV, etc.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks for the advice but I don't know if I'm comfortable doing that. I don't really want to screw anything up any more than currently, haha. Thank you for the suggestion though, I'll try it if all else fails.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
99Reaper99

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambiteer View Post
Thanks for the advice but I don't know if I'm comfortable doing that. I don't really want to screw anything up any more than currently, haha. Thank you for the suggestion though, I'll try it if all else fails.
Worst comes to worst like you say, you can take the time to list each process. Yeah it'll take some time, but again could easily be the cause. Has been for me many times, some of them being very weird.

Then we can go down the list of what's okay to stop and what's not.
99Reaper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Golemone

I have the same problem all of a sudden. When I click Play, a window opens asking if I would like to play with DirectX 9 or DirectX 10/11. Regardless of what I choose, nothing happens.
None of the suggested measures helped.
Golemone is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips