Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
NightLight

Could not connect to host (cannot be connected by friends)

Hi,

I have a problem where I cant seem to connect to my friends and my friends cannot connect to me. Is there a port setting or network setting I need to be aware of? I have a firewall but I have tried disabling them and still no go. I did not have this problem with Borderlands 1, but any suggestions?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
electry

I am having the same issue, this is not borderlands fault. Borderlands 2 uses Steamworks, which is extremely buggy at the moment..
electry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #3
NightLight

The Steamworks network play is buggy? I would have thought that going through Steamworks would be a lot smoother than Gamespy...
NightLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
scubs

port forward 7778
scubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
FobinenHege

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightLight View Post
The Steamworks network play is buggy? I would have thought that going through Steamworks would be a lot smoother than Gamespy...
It's always been like that when the game is launched / update is released. Game / Steam is under huge pressure when everyone is trying to play. I think it's going to be fine in the future.
FobinenHege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:24 AM   #6
tjurgrym

Bump

I haven't been able to join or host a single game since release. I forwarded ports, enabled DMZ on my router, disabled my firewall —all to no avail. I hope that this issue is addressed and acknowledged soon. I would really like to be able to play with my friends.
tjurgrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
oOTAGOo

Yea.. I'm not too sure it has anything to do with port forwarding or even firewall settings. Last night me and 4 other friends were trying to play together. For some reason only me and one other person could connect to each others games. The other 2 couldn't connect to anyone and neither of us could connect to them.

Some weird stuff going on..

One thing I did hear, but haven't had a chance to try out was exiting steam, and doing the ol' right click Run as Administrator. A friends co worker said he could connect after that. Seems an unlikely fix. I'm guessing it's just Steam blowing it.
oOTAGOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
Corpfox

These ports?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...8571-GLVN-8711
Corpfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
oOTAGOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpfox View Post
I have never had a problem playing multilayer with any other game. I don't see why borderlands would be any different.

Also it specifically states that borderlands does NOT require any port forwarding: http://www.borderlands2.com/loveletter/?x
oOTAGOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
CaptainMayhem88

Yup, I'm having the same issues. Two of my friends can join each other. But when I try to join them or they try to join me it fails.

I can join randoms as well as one other person on my list. Never before has an issue like this ever occurred in any other plethora of games we play together (TF2, Payday, Killing Floor)

This is starting to get on my nerves.
CaptainMayhem88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
NightLight

My Steam is already running as administrator. It seems it is either hit or miss. I couldnt get host with the same friend last night but today I can, but I cannot connect to my friends whom I joined the game the day before. The port that needs to be opened is already opened since long time ago, but whether my firewall is off or on doesnt seem to matter too...
NightLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Lep3r Mesi@H

As a host to enable friends to join one fix is to enable DMZ host in the firewall section of your router control panel this applying to Dlink routers(gaming in Linksys). Keep in mind this opens your pc ports a little more than normal and may pose some security risks but you just want to play right? Also on same page I removed NAT end point filter restrictions on both UDP and TCP ports. From another forum one user posted the port forwarding ports to open TCP ports 7777, 28900, 27900, 28910; UDP ports 7777, 6500, 9989 I never needed to go that far but this may be another fix until its patched.

Other users are saying the most common fix is just to verify the game file cache. Personally our problem was solved with this router fix.
Lep3r Mesi@H is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands