Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks

Old 09-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Class76

Steam Workshop Subscribe

Looking at this steam workshop thing to try a scenario, what does this subscribe bit mean I stopped at that point.?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Talen84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class76 View Post
Looking at this steam workshop thing to try a scenario, what does this subscribe bit mean I stopped at that point.?
Subscribing is how you tell steam you want that scenario, so basically once you find one you like, hit the button and it should appear as a playable scenario in game.
Talen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
HazySarkany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talen84 View Post
Subscribing is how you tell steam you want that scenario, so basically once you find one you like, hit the button and it should appear as a playable scenario in game.
Is that how it works? I hadn't gotten that far, I want to try Interdictor's (and Class 76's) new work, I'll give that a try this weekend. Good thing it is raining out!

+rep
HazySarkany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Bob360

Quote:
Ah, a newbie question to the Workshop. Once you hit subscribe, you'll notice a Green Box telling you that the next time you start Railworks, your selection will be included.
Bob360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Class76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob360 View Post
Ah, a newbie question to the Workshop. Once you hit subscribe, you'll notice a Green Box telling you that the next time you start Railworks, your selection will be included.
I vowed I did not want anything to do with it but it's winning me over a little! Do you actually download these files as with a dlc.?
Class76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Talen84

Quote:
I vowed I did not want anything to do with it but it's winning me over a little! Do you actually download these files as with a dlc.?
Kind of, when you go into the workshop tab in game it'll refresh and load up the ones you've subscribed to in the order you did so.

Equally I have seen some of them (maybe all) appearing in the normal single player scenario listing for the appropriate route. I'm not sure when it actually downloads the scenario though.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
boilerbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob360 View Post
Actually, you can access the Workshop from Steam (before you start RailWorks) or from within RailWorks itself. If you use the latter method, you'll see the following.

To cover all of their games, Steam provides a general warning (in a blue box) when you have subscribed to a scenario...

"This item has been added to your Subscriptions. Some games will require you to relaunch them before the item will be downloaded."

Apparently RailWorks does not require a relaunch because the scenario(s) that you have selected will be available for immediate play as soon as you have clicked on the appropriate area at the top of the screen to exit the Get Scenario screen. You just need to select the scenario you want to play from the list of subscribed scenarios and then press the Go! button.

I do agree with an earlier post about the Subscribe instruction. My initial reaction was "What is this about? I don't want to subscribe to anything!". Perhaps 'Select' would have been a better term.

Last edited by boilerbill: 10-01-2012 at 10:12 AM.
boilerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Ryanne

Hi All. Just one thing puzzles me about this Workshop ,can you usubscribe to anything you dont like or are you stuck with it?
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
Talen84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanne View Post
Hi All. Just one thing puzzles me about this Workshop ,can you usubscribe to anything you dont like or are you stuck with it?
You can unsubscribe by clicking on the blue subscribed box that appears once you've subscribed. There is also a remove (or delete can't remember which) button in game, which I'd imagine serves the same purpose, although I've not tried it yet.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
Class76

Quote:
Kind of, when you go into the workshop tab in game it'll refresh and load up the ones you've subscribed to in the order you did so.

Equally I have seen some of them (maybe all) appearing in the normal single player scenario listing for the appropriate route. I'm not sure when it actually downloads the scenario though.
That is what I mean Talen84 are they downloaded on your HD and part of your installation or floating about in the steam cloud. I like to know all this beforehand.

boilerbill I agree about the choice of word.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
boilerbill

I just learned something new about scenarios that have been downloaded from the Steam Workshop -- you can edit them, and the changes are permanent. I have changed times and seasons, altered the stopping schedule, added/deleted AI trains, etc. And after quitting RW and restarting it, the changes are still there. So I guess a copy of the original scenario is downloaded onto your computer (don't ask me where), and then you can change it as you like. However, those changes must be accomplished by using the RW Scenario Editor; you can't quit and then use RW_Tools to change the scenario. That's unfortunate, because some of the scenarios require DLC that I don't have. Since those scenarios don't even start, I can't use Ctrl-E to edit them. Perhaps some enterprising person who knows more about RW than I do can figure out a way to do that. I'm still a bit surprised that the workshop scenarios can be edited at all!
boilerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Cl1mh4224rd

Quote:
I've noticed that subscribing to a scenario outside of the game (through the Steam client or through your web browser) won't "install" the scenario so that it appears along with the other scenarios for the route. If you do that, you have to go to Main Menu -> Steam Workshop -> Play, select the scenario, and then click Go!. At that moment the scenario is installed (and you play it). After that, it's listed along with the standard scenarios.

(Now, I recently did a clean reinstall of TS2013 and haven't tried subscribing to a scenario outside of the game, so I don't know if that was just some weirdness caused by the in-place upgrade.)

However, if you go Main Menu -> Steam Workshop -> Play and select Get Scenarios, any scenario you subscribe to will be immediately installed. You can then go to Main Menu -> Single Player -> Standard Scenarios and select the scenario you just subscribed to.

This is the only way I've been able to play any of the Cajon Pass scenarios in the Workshop. In Main Menu -> Steam Workshop -> Play, these scenarios list "Cajon Pass Route" twice as required DLC. The game claims I have one of these, but not the other. If I try to run the scenario from that menu, the game prompts me to purchase Cajon Pass (and then just takes me to the Steam Store's front page). If I run it from Main Menu -> Single Player -> Standard Scenarios, it works fine. All very weird.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd: 09-28-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:42 AM   #13
Talen84

Quote:
That is what I mean Talen84 are they downloaded on your HD and part of your installation or floating about in the steam cloud. I like to know all this beforehand.

boilerbill I agree about the choice of word.
Ah, sorry not sure of that bit, I've not looked in the workshop well enough to know (on any of my games that use it) I'd guess from Boilerbill's post though that they are on the PC, at least once you've done something with them. I did find if you save and quit one, then start it up from the Workshop button in game, it'll start at the beggining, but if you find it in the normal scenario listing it'll give the choice between continuing and starting afresh.

As for using subscribe, it seem to cause problems for lots of people. I have seen numerous comments in mod for Skyrim asking how to download. I wonder if subscribe has slightly different meanings in other countries? (Opps don't intend to derail the thread, treat this as retorical question)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
Class76

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerbill View Post
I just learned something new about scenarios that have been downloaded from the Steam Workshop -- you can edit them, and the changes are permanent. I have changed times and seasons, altered the stopping schedule, added/deleted AI trains, etc. And after quitting RW and restarting it, the changes are still there. So I guess a copy of the original scenario is downloaded onto your computer (don't ask me where), and then you can change it as you like. However, those changes must be accomplished by using the RW Scenario Editor; you can't quit and then use RW_Tools to change the scenario. That's unfortunate, because some of the scenarios require DLC that I don't have. Since those scenarios don't even start, I can't use Ctrl-E to edit them. Perhaps some enterprising person who knows more about RW than I do can figure out a way to do that. I'm still a bit surprised that the workshop scenarios can be edited at all!
Thats the answer I wanted thanks boilerbill, they should be stored in RW/Content/Routes folder if downloaded to HD unless there is a ninja folder for them,!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #15
Class76

Quote:
Ah, sorry not sure of that bit, I've not looked in the workshop well enough to know (on any of my games that use it
Thats ok buddy neither have I, the only time I look in steam is to check RW dlc and verify files that other steam stuff does nothing for me.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > RailWorks