Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
I_am_Valor

Borderlands 2 save data question

Im sure this is a silly question, but I have learned from experience that I'd rather be safe than sorry. I have a macbook pro, and I have bootcamped windows into it. I have Borderlands 2 installed on the windows OS, and I did see that it can be played on a mac. I know that the game saves data through the steam cloud.

But I would like to make sure that if i were to delete the game data (to have more space on the windows partition) and then install the game on my macs partition I would still be able to load up my game from were I left off. My understanding would be that I would be able to do this with no problem but once again I prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, but the best would obviously be personal experience regarding the topic. Thank you in advance for any information given.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
NaOHSpree

You shouldn't have a problem due to the Steam Cloud sharing user files between computers as long as you log on the same Steam account later.

If I were you, though, I'd make sure to make a copy of the save game files that are located at: Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\SaveData

Inside this folder, there will be a folder with the name that is the same as your Steam 64ID which corresponds to your Steam profile. Yours is 76561198014888610.

So, copy that folder to a flash drive or something just to be sure you will not lose any save data. The rest is pure configuration files and I recommend you to not back them up considering how you'll practically play on a different system.
NaOHSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
I_am_Valor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaOHSpree View Post
You shouldn't have a problem due to the Steam Cloud sharing user files between computers as long as you log on the same Steam account later.

If I were you, though, I'd make sure to make a copy of the save game files that are located at: Documents\My Games\Borderlands 2\WillowGame\SaveData

Inside this folder, there will be a folder with the name that is the same as your Steam 64ID which corresponds to your Steam profile. Yours is 76561198014888610.

So, copy that folder to a flash drive or something just to be sure you will not lose any save data. The rest is pure configuration files and I recommend you to not back them up considering how you'll practically play on a different system.
Thanks for that quick response. If i were to install the game onto my Mac partition before deleting if from my windows partition and simply play for a bit then exit, would that do anything to "secure" (for the lack of a better word) my Borderlands 2 data to be usable on my other OS? Either way I think I would like to save that game to a flashdrive, Im just not sure how much space I might have (or not have) on a current flashdrive.
I_am_Valor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
NaOHSpree

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Valor View Post
Thanks for that quick response. If i were to install the game onto my Mac partition before deleting if from my windows partition and simply play for a bit then exit, would that do anything to "secure" (for the lack of a better word) my Borderlands 2 data to be usable on my other OS? Either way I think I would like to save that game to a flashdrive, Im just not sure how much space I might have (or not have) on a current flashdrive.
Pretty sure that would "secure" the data, yes, seeing how Steam will download the files from the cloud.

If you do have any space, however, then for your own sake you could make a backup just in case. The reason why I'm acting "paranoid" to the save game files is because for some reason Steam cloud + this game are giving some trouble to several players because of lost game data.

Last edited by NaOHSpree: 09-30-2012 at 07:47 PM.
NaOHSpree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
I_am_Valor

Quote:
Pretty sure that would "secure" the data, yes, seeing how Steam will download the files from the cloud.

If you do have any space, however, then for your own sake you could make a backup just in case. The reason why I'm acting "paranoid" to the save game files is because for some reason Steam cloud + this game are giving some trouble to several players because of lost game data.
Haha, if you couldn't tell from my initial post I'm right in that paranoid boat with you

But I am looking for it right now and will check the space available. Thanks for your help and I think its safe to say I feel a lot more comfortable with it, so thank you!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
I_am_Valor

Quote:

I did manage to find my flashdrive and save the data, and as I was about to start the game up on my Mac, it couldn't sync up to the cloud through the Mac, I attempted to start the game anyways, and it said that the game was unavailable (corrupt game files). Does anyone know what this means? Im sure it has something to do with the game being saved on a windows OS and then attempt to play it through the Mac OS.

And if i delete the local content while on the Mac OS, that will not delete it from the Windows OS will it?

If anyone could answer these questions that would be greatly appreciated, as I have said before these might seem like silly questions but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Last edited by I_am_Valor: 09-30-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands