Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 10-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Unsul

Offline mode - no login information stored. Help!

Anyone has any solution to it? When I try running Steam in offline it says it's unavailable because Steam login information is not stored on my computer. Any ideas guys?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Satoru

When you log into Steam when you're online, there's a checkbox to save your credentials. If you didn't check that box then unless you explicitly enabled offline mode it won't work
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Unsul

I know about it and I don't have it checked.
Unsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Verminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsul View Post
I know about it and I don't have it checked.
Then you cant use offline mode.
Verminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
Unsul

When I enable it and try going offline it says I have to uncheck it so you got it wrong
Unsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
Satoru

If you're already online just use the Go Offline Mode and see if that works
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #7
Ran_TH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsul View Post
When I enable it and try going offline it says I have to uncheck it so you got it wrong
Which part of error message that saying you have to uncheck it?
Ran_TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
zonkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran_TH View Post
Which part of error message that saying you have to uncheck it?
Allready the part next to the original checkmark: Do NOT save account credentials on this computer

I do not make any marks. If i am offline, i dont need to input my password (unlike being online), and get in offline mode.
zonkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #9
Verminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkz View Post
Allready the part next to the original checkmark: Do NOT save account credentials on this computer

I do not make any marks. If i am offline, I don't need to input my password (unlike being online), and get in offline mode.
Wrong check-box. That's the one in the settings window (which, yes, needs to be unchecked), we are referring to the one on the login window labelled "Remember my password".

For you reference, the Support FAQ : Offline Mode details how to get offline mode working.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #10
zonkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verminus View Post
Wrong check-box. That's the one in the settings window (which, yes, needs to be unchecked), we are referring to the one on the login window labelled "Remember my password".
Yes. I dont do any marks.
Online, i need to insert my password.
Offline, i dont need to.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:37 AM   #11
Verminus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkz View Post
Yes. I dont do any marks.
Online, i need to insert my password.
Offline, i dont need to.
Yes you DO. Please go read the support FAQ.

Step #1
Quote:
1. Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
In order for offline mode to work you need to first be connected to the internet and when logging into Steam have checked the "remember my password" box on the login window. Once you have done this and any games you wish to play in offline mode are 100% downloaded and have been launched at least once, you will be able to wither switch into offline mode using the menu option, or if you start Steam when you are cot connected to the internet be able to select "start in offline mode".
Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #12
zonkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verminus View Post
Yes you DO. Please go read the support FAQ.
No i DONT

Instead of reading the FAQ to know what "i do", i did it right now.
I allways insert my password before i use steam.
If i am offline, it starts right away, without asking for password. And i can choose offline mode.

Proven by reallity.

Easy question:
Why should steam make it mandatory to "auto-insert" a password into a log in box, so the client can log in? The log in box is for humans. The client knows the password even if its NOT auto-inserted in the log in box.
Thats why you save account credentials on your computer. But not in the log in boxes.

Last edited by zonkz: 10-02-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #13
gonekrazy3000

Whether you want to accept it or not the offline mode only works if you have the remember password box checked. If its unchecked it will always fail the way it is right now. Also. for offline mode to work every single game you have must be updated fully. If even a single game is in an update state it will also fail. Now why Valve has made these changes to steam is baffling but it is what it is.
gonekrazy3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #14
zonkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonekrazy3000 View Post
Whether you want to accept it or not the offline mode only works if you have the remember password box checked.

Let me get this straight:
You are trying to tell me that i am just actually able to use the offline mode without creating a security hole marking "remember my password",
because i dont want to accept that it could not work?

Thats quite surrealistic

"Save account credentials on this computer" (aka dont mark "dont safe account credentials on this computer") is the way to go.
Suggesting to auto-fill in the password is leading to really bad security. And it should be removed from the manual.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
TheLumpyLump

Well, this is certainly bizzare:
Got a new gaming rig to replace the sh*tty old laptop on which I am currently writing, backed up all games from laptop using steam, borrowed internet adapter to download and install steam on new rig, then restored games. Gave wireless adapter back to brother who is now back at uni. Been happily playing in offline mode for over a month, and the computer has been completely disconnected from internet during that time. But today, for some reason, steam has chosen to tell me "there are no login details stored on this computer." Bull****. Is there some timer built in so login details expire after some time? Cos there is no way that I can connect to internet again now until summer. F*cking great. Hope that this is rectified ASAP. One very dissatisfied user right here.
TheLumpyLump is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips