Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series

Old 10-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
euden

Strangers Wrath HD Beta Testers deserve an explanation and an apology.

Although this was sent in an email to JAW I feel it was not read.

Before the HD patch was released it was in beta. Myself and few other selected individuals were kindly asked to test the patch on behalf of JAW to iron out the very same bugs you as the retail players are experiencing. As a reward for our time and effort we were to have our names rendered into the credits to show appreciation.

A few weeks after selection testing began and we were given the first section of the game to test. We already noted some very pressing bugs that were preventing the game from being the best it can. The patch did once include an AAx16 option but this proved far too taxing on gpu's and was taken out. A week later we receive the second build of the patch, bugs were ironed out and we left constructive feedback. Weeks soon followed with no new builds, no communication and nothing but a whisper mentioning that the patch had been released to the public. Still no word from JAW about this.

A few days later it is confirmed that the patch has indeed been released and as expected people are experiencing bugs that we the beta testers should have encountered first so you didn't have to.

Our names are not in the credits.

So I ask now that we the beta testers deserve an explanation as to why we were not only left in the dark but were shafted with nothing to show of our efforts? the patch was not ready for release and consequently the outcome is even more bugs we were ready to find and eliminate.

I for one had high hopes for JAW and was really flattered to be asked to test such a piece of art but as the saying goes you have to walk before you can run. Stranger was pushed too soon and he has fallen.

I am disappointed JAW, what happened?
Old 10-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Dial

Banned
I don't know, that should have stayed private.

The state of the game, though, should not.

When I beta test things it's not for the credits, it's to help make a better product.
Dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Stewart Gilray

JAW CEO
Ben, you should know better than to take this publically.

You have been told more than once (so I'm told) that we have had MASSIVE problems re-creating the credits movie.

We are using a tool called "Shake" for PC dated 2002, this tool is NO longer supported by anyone, and uses a number of plugins provided by a company that no longer exists. As such we've had to "crack" the plugins to get it to work.

When we completed the PS3 credits movie we upgraded a number of PC's including the one that ran the "Shake" software as a result we can no longer get the software to run AT ALL.

We are STILL desperately trying to do this and will succeed, even if it means having to install "Windows 2000" which is what it replies on.

You were asked to please bear with us on this and we will FIX the problem, but patience is expected and asked.

Regards

Stewart
Stewart Gilray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
AmyGrrl

I'm glad someone finally said something. I had no idea what was going on. I was also disappointed with the way the beta was run. More testing should have been done. No one even told us the beta was over. No e-mail letting us know you were having problems with getting the credits done.
AmyGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
Stewart Gilray

JAW CEO
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyGrrl View Post
I'm glad someone finally said something. I had no idea what was going on. I was also disappointed with the way the beta was run. More testing should have been done. No one even told us the beta was over. No e-mail letting us know you were having problems with getting the credits done.
Ok THAT is a massive problem then, and shouting will be done.

I was led to believe that a thank you had been sent, which included information about the situation with the credits and that we would be resolving it one way or another.

The fact that you're now telling me that this is not the case has ticked me off and the people responsible will be getting a talking to.

As such, please accept my apology and allow me some time to get this fixed, a few days.

Stewart
Old 10-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
euden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Gilray View Post
Ok THAT is a massive problem then, and shouting will be done.

I was led to believe that a thank you had been sent, which included information about the situation with the credits and that we would be resolving it one way or another.

The fact that you're now telling me that this is not the case has ticked me off and the people responsible will be getting a talking to.

As such, please accept my apology and allow me some time to get this fixed, a few days.

Stewart
Stewart,

I assumed you knew about the situation, the only reason I took this public was because I was not recieving any response privately. I apologise for any issues caused but now that everyone is on the same page we can clear things up.
euden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
AmyGrrl

I wonder why they didn't even update the Strangers Wrath HD Beta Group on Steam.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Khronikos

At least we didn't have to wait 6 more months for the game. Although I am waiting to play it tbh. I did the tutorial and am hoping for another patch or so.
Khronikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
AmyGrrl

They finally sent the e-mail out to everyone.

Last edited by AmyGrrl: 10-12-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
freibooter

I seriously couldn't care less about the vanity of some beta testers and I do think the resources spent on recreating in-game movies could be much better invested in other areas. But if you made the promise and some testers really think this is important, who am I to judge.

What I personally found rather worrisome was how wonderfully vocal and communicative you JAW guys were initially and how completely silent everyone suddenly went during and after the HD upgrade's public release.

I'm very happy that I'm getting to finally play it and I'm mostly happy about how it turned out, but it still feels a bit unfinished (heck, many settings don't even have any standard "reset to defaults" options).
In combination with the silence it almost felt like someone pulled the plug on the project, released it in whatever state it was in and simply moved on without looking back.

Stranger's Wrath HD is just a little bit of polish away from being an amazing experience and it would be a shame not to properly finish it.

The users on these forums have given some very valuable feedback and it would be nice if one of you guys could at least let us know that it was acknowledged and that it may even be addressed eventually.
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #11
Stewart Gilray

JAW CEO
Quote:
Originally Posted by freibooter View Post
In combination with the silence it almost felt like someone pulled the plug on the project, released it in whatever state it was in and simply moved on without looking back.
I can tell you right now that that is NOT the case at all...

We still have people working away on another update for the title, which covers things like...

1. Intel HD graphics system black screens - fixed/work arounds added.
2. FXAA Added
3. Credits movie done (I've literally just finished this and checked it in myself not 2 minutes ago).
4. Community Translations. I believe there is now another 4 or 5 languages in there.
5. More options added to the Launcher.
6. A bunch of other fixes.

So we most certainly have not turned our backs on it. We did however had to come off the project for 2 weeks whilst we finished up the Eurogamer Expo demo of Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'N' Tasty.

Anyway, I was hoping the update would be out today, but I suspect it'll be a couple of days yet.

Stewart
Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
freibooter

Quote:
I can tell you right now that that is NOT the case at all...
I never said it was and I I'm glad it isn't the case.

Quote:
We still have people working away on another update for the title, which covers things like...

2. FXAA Added
3. Credits movie done (I've literally just finished this and checked it in myself not 2 minutes ago).
4. Community Translations. I believe there is now another 4 or 5 languages in there.
5. More options added to the Launcher.
6. A bunch of other fixes.

So we most certainly have not turned our backs on it. We did however had to come off the project for 2 weeks whilst we finished up the Eurogamer Expo demo of Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'N' Tasty.

Anyway, I was hoping the update would be out today, but I suspect it'll be a couple of days yet.

Stewart
I can wait, no worries. As long as it comes eventually.
That's already a very nice list right there and I'm very happy that communication with us has resumed.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #13
Stewart Gilray

JAW CEO
Quote:
Originally Posted by freibooter View Post
I'm very happy that communication with us has resumed.
It's a case of we've all been STUPID busy, to the point that we are starting to move people over to other projects away from this one.

After all we've been working on it since May 2010. So we're a little sick of the sight of it
Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
freibooter

Quote:
It's a case of we've all been STUPID busy, to the point that we are starting to move people over to other projects away from this one.

After all we've been working on it since May 2010. So we're a little sick of the sight of it
No worries, we're all happy that you are doing well. The world needs more studios like yours.

Just don't leave us hanging with this little project not properly finished - it's way too close to perfection to give up now.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #15
PaladinGunn

Quote:

Stewart
Any new "news" on that issue ? Cuz' I've got it and I use an Nvidia GTX 670, and not an Intel HD graphics
PaladinGunn is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Oddworld series