Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games

Old 10-02-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
GalakFyarr

Assassin's Creed 2 on MacBook Pro 2012

Hi guys,

technically, I don't need help anymore since I've found out how to fix this, but since I couldn't find any threads about this yet, I thought I'd post it just in case anyone else runs into the same trouble.

The Mac port of Assassin's Creed 2 apparently does NOT work when your laptop is using the Intel HD 4000 graphics. This means the game won't work (black screen of death).

The way to fix this, is to manually switch to the Nvidia card, using a small app called gfxCardStatus. You have to switch BEFORE launching the game (and maybe even before launching Steam)

I'm guessing that MacBook Pro's 13" are out of luck, since they only come with the Intel HD 4000 graphics
Old 10-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #2
SerFox

This is a non issue in my eyes. Even Windows users know that if they buy a laptop with intel integrated graphics, they're not going to be gaming much at all.
SerFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
GalakFyarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerFox View Post
This is a non issue in my eyes. Even Windows users know that if they buy a laptop with intel integrated graphics, they're not going to be gaming much at all.
Did you even read? The problem was that AC2 doesn't automatically switch between the integrated graphics and the Nvidia graphics card.

I made this thread so that if other people with a 15" MacBook Pro want to play the game, they know why it doesn't run, and how to run it.

I have no idea why you felt the need to add this useless reply.
GalakFyarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
SerFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalakFyarr View Post
Did you even read? The problem was that AC2 doesn't automatically switch between the integrated graphics and the Nvidia graphics card.

I made this thread so that if other people with a 15" MacBook Pro want to play the game, they know why it doesn't run, and how to run it.

I have no idea why you felt the need to add this useless reply.
1. You switch that yourself. When I bought my first MBP in 2010, also my first Mac ever, I didn't have an issue figuring that out.

Also my response was mainly to this part:
Quote:
I'm guessing that MacBook Pro's 13" are out of luck, since they only come with the Intel HD 4000 graphics.
But hey, go ahead, bite my head off, see if I care. I was being perfectly civil.
SerFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
GalakFyarr

Well good for you that you figured it all out by yourself, but just because you somehow managed to fix it yourself, doesn't mean everyone else does.

And this thread is for people like me, who didn't know you could manually tell your laptop to switch graphics cards + people who have bought AC2 and have no idea why it wouldn't run.

When using google, I couldn't find any thread about running AC2 on a recent (2012) MacBook Pro, or why it wouldn't launch. If you can find one, feel free to link to it here.

So, excuse me for posting this and trying to help people who might not have your superior intelligence. Your reply remained useless anyhow, you didn't add any new details that might have further explained the matter at hand, you just felt the need to tell people "hey, macs can't run a lot of games, don't be surprised."

EDIT:
And your comment is also completely unfounded. I've discovered that Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (which has obviously higher system requirements than AC2) runs when using the Intel HD 4000 graphics, meaning it's an AC2 specific issue - not a particular weakness of the mac integrated graphics

Last edited by GalakFyarr: 10-13-2012 at 11:17 AM.
GalakFyarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games