Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
DK23

SecuRom

Hey guys,
I'm trying to launch NBA 2k13 from the disc and have installed it twice now, restarted my computer and tried a repair install and every time I get the:

""Wrong disc inserted.
Please insert the original "NBA2K13" CD/DVD.
Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=wrongdisc for further, more detailed information."

Even though the correct disc is installed. I figure this has happened on games other than NBA 2K13 as well.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Shad0WeN

another legit user screwed over by nasty DRM?

SecuROM and others like it are pure evil..... and a huge reason why I have been boycotting all EA and Ubisoft games for quite some time.
Shad0WeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
war1990

And devs wondering why peoples pirate their games.
@OP : Try to contact the Devs, and provide them with purchase proof. Try to stay away from online/activation limit DRM in the future.
war1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
ONe mOMENT

I just had a look over on the 2k sports forums and didn't find anything to relevent. So you may want to Head over there and drop them a direct line to get a faster response.

Though, could it be something to do an AV running and blocking Securom from running? May want to give that a go in the mean time while you wait for better/more ideas.
ONe mOMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #5
Animaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONe mOMENT View Post
Though, could it be something to do an AV running and blocking Securom from running? May want to give that a go in the mean time while you wait for better/more ideas.
I find it incredibly sad that the response to SecuROM not working is "Turn off your antivirus, it might work then".
Animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
{Yotsuba}

I find it incredibly sad that the response to SecuROM not working is "Turn off your antivirus, it might work then".

That's pretty much the first step to test when *any* program doesn't work. Not just SecuROM.
{Yotsuba} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 AM   #7
kuduz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK23 View Post
Hey guys,
I'm trying to launch NBA 2k13 from the disc and have installed it twice now, restarted my computer and tried a repair install and every time I get the:

""Wrong disc inserted.
Please insert the original "NBA2K13" CD/DVD.
Please have a look at http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=wrongdisc for further, more detailed information."

Even though the correct disc is installed. I figure this has happened on games other than NBA 2K13 as well.

Thanks
well make sure your disc has no scratches etc, after that check if the file size is correct or any files are missing and also turn off your anti virus or set anti virus to exclude the folder.
also do not comment if you are just gonna spam " secuROM is evil blah blah"
the i ran into the issue 2 times before, one was when the disc was legitly corrupted/ scratched and i just had to return the disc and get a new one, another time was when the game update broke it. so it could be either those or what i mentioned above. many people who ran into the issue seemed to be because of missing dlls and exes or corrupted discs.

Last edited by kuduz: 10-04-2012 at 01:48 AM.
kuduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Myself =P

I suggest trying the game's own sub-forum, for sure someone there must had this issue
Myself =P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Enskyment

Securom strikes again.

No idea what you can do to fix it, but these threads make me feel better about not giving in and buying Crysis 1/ Warhead
Enskyment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
99Reaper99

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Yotsuba} View Post

That's pretty much the first step to test when *any* program doesn't work. Not just SecuROM.
As well as background processes. I've been really amazed myself what can interrupt something from running correctly.

Though I'll always hate Starforce the most for their "It doesn't matter if you bought it. We don't support it anymore for Vista/7, so you're out of luck". Why they took the time to make a patch for their older systems which works for no one as I can see, can't understand why.
99Reaper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
Whiplashr

Quote:
Originally Posted by war1990 View Post
And devs wondering why peoples pirate their games.
This is a very trite and intellectually dishonest rationale. And I am someone who hates invasive DRM as much as the next.

But the fact is people pirated games since before there was DRM at all, and they would do so whether there is DRM or not. Some people anyhow. Because they don't want to pay for it. Or they enjoy the thrill of being part of the pirate community.

So it's really just rationalizing to blame it on the DRM. That's not the primary reason for most pirates. And even if it is, it's a pitiful reason that should be rejected by anyone with logic. Because it's not any kind of legitimate justification for doing wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Yotsuba} View Post

I find it odd that you continue to stick with this bizarre, unique form of quoting people that is actually counterproductive to knowing exactly what you are quoting. I guess you just have to be different..
Whiplashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
phkuxato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0WeN View Post
another legit user screwed over by nasty DRM?

SecuROM and others like it are pure evil..... and a huge reason why I have been boycotting all EA and Ubisoft games for quite some time.
Irrational paranoia and ignorance, as usual.
phkuxato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Whinis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplashr View Post
This is a very trite and intellectually dishonest rationale. And I am someone who hates invasive DRM as much as the next.

But the fact is people pirated games since before there was DRM at all, and they would do so whether there is DRM or not. Some people anyhow. Because they don't want to pay for it. Or they enjoy the thrill of being part of the pirate community.

So it's really just rationalizing to blame it on the DRM. That's not the primary reason for most pirates. And even if it is, it's a pitiful reason that should be rejected by anyone with logic. Because it's not any kind of legitimate justification for doing wrong.

I find it odd that you continue to stick with this bizarre, unique form of quoting people that is actually counterproductive to knowing exactly what you are quoting. I guess you just have to be different..
It depends on what you mean by pirate. Pirates are considered both those that illegally aquire the game and those the legally aquire it and then remove the DRM. So lumping both groups togethor and sayings its immoral is really illogical within itself. That said Securom and Starforce as well as other DRMS are a legitimate reason to boycott publishers. However in this case it appears that securom cann't read the disc for whatever reason and it might be good to contact the publisher to figureout why.
Whinis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #14
stella artois

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkuxato View Post
Irrational paranoia and ignorance, as usual.
I have no problems with DRM since I stopped buying UbiSoft games and games loaded with SecuRom. The OP IS having problems because he chose to purchase a game loaded with SecuRom. We win, DRM supporters lose, call us irrational but we are happy.
stella artois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 AM   #15
wharangbuh

I have this same problem.

But instead of "wrong disc inserted", it's "no disc inserted".

When I insert the disc, the game runs smoothly. Then while in game, I can get the disc out of the drive and I can still play the game.

But it's really annoying to put the disc every time I play unlike other games.

I tried excluding the folder from AV but to no avail.

Can anyone help me?
wharangbuh is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips