Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Old 10-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
percinator

Exclamation XCOM Enemy Unknown stops working at the start of a new game.

To anyone reading this. I recently bought X-Com Enemy Unknown and have been unable to play once since purchasing it. At the end of the length download from steam the game did not prompt me to install anykind of directx or any other program during installation. I booted up the game and got to the main menu with no problem. Then when I clicked new game and chose my difficulty and hit the button to begin then game I am brought to the loading screen but once the screen goes black after the loading I get a pop-up saying XCOM: Enemy Unknown has stopped working. I have so far done the follow at suggestions found from websites from the google searchs of XCOM: Enemy Unknown has stopped working and XCOM: Enemy Unknown has crashed:
Redownloaded the game.
Verified the integrity of the game files half a dozen times which must said a single roughly 8 mb file was missing.
Restarted steam after verifying the game integrity.
Ran XComGame.exe as administrator.
Ran XcomGame.exe with desktop composition disabled.
Updated my graphics card drivers.
Updated Direct X.
Disabled V-Sync.
Disabled AA.
Ran the game in windowed mode.
And Launching the game through the .exe and not through steam itself.

I am getting very frustrated with this since my computer can run games like Crysis on high to maximum on everything with a solid 55-65 framerate so I am hopeing for any help that can be given to me.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
KawaiiSara

XSEED Games
The videos are likely failing to play. Try renaming the video folder so that it will skip videos and that will allow you to determine if it is indeed the cause.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
percinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiSara View Post
The videos are likely failing to play. Try renaming the video folder so that it will skip videos and that will allow you to determine if it is indeed the cause.
Thanks Sara, it seems to have worked, now is there anyway for me to play it with the movies?
percinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Sam_killer_UA

Quote:
Originally Posted by percinator View Post
Thanks Sara, it seems to have worked, now is there anyway for me to play it with the movies?
Youtube
Sam_killer_UA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
gozercz

go to the xcomgame\movies folder and rename file extension (to something different than .bik) for these two files

1080_CIN_Intro_Movie_LOC.bik
CIN_Intro_Movie_LOC.bik

that did the trick for me ... it gets rid of the intro movie and at least in my case it seems other videos work without problems. All the videos use quite obvious file names so you can get rid of any more if they cause problems
gozercz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #6
Knavery

That won't work. Most of the movies end in .bik. This is happening to me and I won't be renaming a hundred movie files to another extension.
Knavery is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > XCOM: Enemy Unknown